MG4 likes and dislikes We agree

I have had my MG4 trophy for about 3 weeks now and I definitely have some issues.
Have turned off Lane Assist as positively dangerous.
Reversing camera has switched off during use and I have had to switch to Drive mode then back to Reverse to get it back.
I am a short woman and find the wide sills very difficult on exit - swing myself all the way round with both legs out then use my feet on the sill to pull me to the very edge of the seat so I can get both my feet on the ground.
Went into one of the menus to change something while using the NAV function but I had to manually get it back to NAV!
I try to set the car up when I first get in it, particularly drive modes as it never remembers my preferred setting, Oh and I have to turn off drowsy warning every time - it drives me crazy. If you try do anything while driving it is very difficult as the touchscreen is so unresponsive and I have short arms as well as legs.
If I use the star short cut buttons, the menu pops up but it is on the screen for such a short time I don't get to remind myself which direction button does what, before it has gone again (maybe that's just me being so a bit thick and the fact that I want to keep my eyes on the road).
Have turned on the heating on a couple of occasions and think I am getting a bit of reverberation but can't be sure.
Haven't seen any oil yet but will keep an eye out now - where will it be coming from?
Despite all my gripes the car gives me a lovely drive and is far more responsive than my Leaf and I love the look of it especially in the Volcano Orange.

I will try the Lazy lock when it gets delivered, usually press and hold unlock to open windows, press and hold lock to close. Useful on our Skodas the we have,

Ian not in the same League your tape shows about 6.5 inch the MG4 is nearing
9inch or so, 2.5 inch is a lot for a smaller people.
Les.
View attachment 12067
Thanks. I didn't realise it was that much wider but at least I have a comparison now and can see why it can cause a problem for the shorter legged person.

I have had my MG4 trophy for about 3 weeks now and I definitely have some issues.
Have turned off Lane Assist as positively dangerous.
Reversing camera has switched off during use and I have had to switch to Drive mode then back to Reverse to get it back.
I am a short woman and find the wide sills very difficult on exit - swing myself all the way round with both legs out then use my feet on the sill to pull me to the very edge of the seat so I can get both my feet on the ground.
Went into one of the menus to change something while using the NAV function but I had to manually get it back to NAV!
I try to set the car up when I first get in it, particularly drive modes as it never remembers my preferred setting, Oh and I have to turn off drowsy warning every time - it drives me crazy. If you try do anything while driving it is very difficult as the touchscreen is so unresponsive and I have short arms as well as legs.
If I use the star short cut buttons, the menu pops up but it is on the screen for such a short time I don't get to remind myself which direction button does what, before it has gone again (maybe that's just me being so a bit thick and the fact that I want to keep my eyes on the road).
Have turned on the heating on a couple of occasions and think I am getting a bit of reverberation but can't be sure.
Haven't seen any oil yet but will keep an eye out now - where will it be coming from?
Despite all my gripes the car gives me a lovely drive and is far more responsive than my Leaf and I love the look of it especially in the Volcano Orange.
The oil seems to be coming from around the rear axle Cherish. This is the best thread for that issue. Members have posted photos and even videos:

I will try the Lazy lock when it gets delivered, usually press and hold unlock to open windows, press and hold lock to close. Useful on our Skodas the we have,
Yeh I will miss that for sure on the MG4
I Think all the VAC group has it nowadays my last two Skodas had it and my sons Audi had it,funny thing is my MG5 has also , the way you have described how to use it is correct I’m not sure but I wonder has the Trophy got it can someone with the trophy model try it please but I can’t find any mention of it in the hand book so maybe not.
Les.

Yeh I will miss that for sure on the MG4
I Think all the VAC group has it nowadays my last two Skodas had it and my sons Audi had it,funny thing is my MG5 has also , the way you have described how to use it is correct I’m not sure but I wonder has the Trophy got it can someone with the trophy model try it please but I can’t find any mention of it in the hand book so maybe not.
Les.
I'm also from the VAG group of cars - so the wind (apologies here for the grammer, is it winde, wind et al?) down window / up via the remote fob is useful, shame that it doesnt currently work on the MG4 (one touch doesn't appear to work - in that from the inside i need to keep my finger on the window button to move it up (maybe down also))- the other minor issue is the rain sensitive front window wipers - again shame its not active (dependent on the rain), it appears to be passive (timed)

Last edited:
Tried out motorway cruise with all the lane keep assist and Acc on unless I’ve done something wrong, the car couldn’t stayed in lane smoothly, it seem to be constantly tugging from left to right and back again as though it couldn’t recognise the centre of the lane, not sure if it has anything to do the sun shinning on a wet road surface which dazzled and caused the confusion?
Turn off LKA and switch to TJA for motorway cruising
Adjust the distance the same as ACC setting.
Much smoother at keeping in the lane.
Badly named if you ask me
The LKA really doesn't do what it's called.

Basic tablet functionality would hardly be expensive. It would be nice to be able to remove panes, move them around, add favourite functions etc
Agreed. I know they've kept to a tight budget (for an EV) but every manufacturer working outside North Korea should be producing decent software. They can use Android or Linux as the back end and half the work is done for them.
I'm surprised Google or Tesla hasn't produced some off-the-shelf stuff - though it looks like the new Megan might have gone further down this route.

Turn off LKA and switch to TJA for motorway cruising
Adjust the distance the same as ACC setting.
Much smoother at keeping in the lane.
Badly named if you ask me
The LKA really doesn't do what it's called.
So my brain ( what's left at my age :) ) is trying to work out if Adaptive CC has a form of lane keep as well ?

No lazy lock is a function that you operate with you key fob means you can open and close all the windows without opening a door even great on a hot day when you are walking up to the car to let the heat out I will miss it
Les

Yeh on the trophy you can but not on the SEs but I hope someone knows how to.
Les
How, what do you do with the key fob to open close windows on the Trophy, I haven’t worked that out how too?

Ian not in the same League your tape shows about 6.5 inch the MG4 is nearing
9inch or so, 2.5 inch is a lot for a smaller people.
Les.
View attachment 12067
A lot of the things people don't like with the MG4 seem to be down to personal preference or fixable with software updates, but the door sill problem is a basic design flaw that should have been obvious during the development of the car.

The MG4 is the first of the new range based on the Modular Scalable Platform so I wonder if all the future models using this skateboard will have the same problem.

A lot of the things people don't like with the MG4 seem to be down to personal preference or fixable with software updates, but the door sill problem is a basic design flaw that should have been obvious during the development of the car.

The MG4 is the first of the new range based on the Modular Scalable Platform so I wonder if all the future models using this skateboard will have the same problem.
You could be correct about the platform, but while it has been remarked upon by a few on here and in other places, it’s not some thing that would deter you from having the vehicle, I had read comments about this before I even saw the car, but I did not say a word to my wife about it as I was trying my best to get her buy one neither did I mention the lack of a rear wiper but that’s another issue.

So when we had I test drive in the 4 she seemed ok getting in the vehicle or said nothing, had the test drive and it was when she came to get out of the car that she then notice how wide the sill was and commented upon it as she banged the back of her leg upon it, but of course I just brushed it off saying you will get used to it, and now she has been driving the car for a few days I think she might have for herself as the only comment I have her from her was the other afternoon when she was helping an elderly lady relative getting into the passenger side and she said to her mind you don’t catch your legs on the sill has they are quite wide on this car, neither of them are very tall.

It’s one of them things it like my MG5 the door apertures are quite low in that it’s as if the floor has been raised up ( because of the battery) but they have not raised the roof line at all over the petrol version of the car in China, but you get used to it and adapt the way you get in and out, lots o vehicles are built this way now, the thing is with both of these cars when your in they are great to drive and that’s for sure
And the price for a two hundred miles plus EV cannot be beaten as yet in the UK.
Les

You could be correct about the platform, but while it has been remarked upon by a few on here and in other places, it’s not some thing that would deter you from having the vehicle, I had read comments about this before I even saw the car, but I did not say a word to my wife about it as I was trying my best to get her buy one neither did I mention the lack of a rear wiper but that’s another issue.

So when we had I test drive in the 4 she seemed ok getting in the vehicle or said nothing, had the test drive and it was when she came to get out of the car that she then notice how wide the sill was and commented upon it as she banged the back of her leg upon it, but of course I just brushed it off saying you will get used to it, and now she has been driving the car for a few days I think she might have for herself as the only comment I have her from her was the other afternoon when she was helping an elderly lady relative getting into the passenger side and she said to her mind you don’t catch your legs on the sill has they are quite wide on this car, neither of them are very tall.

It’s one of them things it like my MG5 the door apertures are quite low in that it’s as if the floor has been raised up ( because of the battery) but they have not raised the roof line at all over the petrol version of the car in China, but you get used to it and adapt the way you get in and out, lots o vehicles are built this way now, the thing is with both of these cars when your in they are great to drive and that’s for sure
And the price for a two hundred miles plus EV cannot be beaten as yet in the UK.
Les
Yes, good observations Les, and it will be interesting to see if your wife doesn't notice it after a while. I also agree that the other good things about the car appear overwhelming but it seems like something that could have easily been avoided.

So my brain ( what's left at my age :) ) is trying to work out if Adaptive CC has a form of lane keep as well ?
Only when TJA is selected rather than ACC in the menu.

ACC just manages the speed.
TJA manages the speed and steers as well.

Screenshot_20221023_100500.jpg

Yes, good observations Les, and it will be interesting to see if your wife doesn't notice it after a while. I also agree that the other good things about the car appear overwhelming but it seems like something that could have easily been avoided.
I agree ChrisR in fact I’m dreading when the time comes that she decides to wear a pair of white pants or leggings and the sill is dirty like I have commented on above could have two black lines on the back as she climbs out over the sill.

I find it quite funny really because the vehicle is built in China and to be honest and this is only my personal viewpoint, I don’t remember seeing or meeting very many tall people from the Chinese race so you would have thought it would have been picked upon form the off.
Please no offence meant to anyone.
Les

Last edited:
Well folks interesting video well we are now 4 days and only 60 miles in with with the wife’s MG4, and there’s a couple of points I can make already, as the young lady in the video points out the stills are quite big and for shorter people get in and out its not the best car for them, I’m ok with it at around 6ft but my wife 5.4 on a good day, she comment about the stills on the test drive and I also commented on this in the podcast Oct 3rd, but that’s not all, this black plastic
( shelflike can I call it ) trim on the stills my god that’s going to be a nightmare to keep clean the cars only been driven around 15 miles in the rain and it’s filthy alreadyView attachment 12062
Not good In fact the whole lot of this black trim on the door bottoms and the the Doors themselves or really dirty already 4days and only 60 or so miles the sculptured shape on the side of the cars appears to draw the dirty into it buckets and sponge at the ready over the winter I think.

Next point no rear wiper I have said before big mistake by MG not have that.

Drive mode Normal Regen 3 or high, I was under the impression this car would remain in the last setting that you had it in but it doesn’t, even if you set it up in the custom mode, when you switch off it reverts back to the default mode of normal regen 3, very disappointing what make this worse is you have to go into the infotainment screen to change it and trying to do that on the move is down right dangerous crap idea in my book, give me the MG5 set up of toggle switches for the driving modes, and the heating/ cooling buttons as well for that matter much better.
Does anyone know different, is there some way to retain settings ?

Last one for now anyhow NO lazy locking function to open or close the windows from what I can find I will miss that, I have not has yet set up the I-Smart app for the car maybe perhaps it might be in there does anyone know?.

So rant over, LOVE the car would I buy it again probably, drives really nice to drive quiet smooth and responsive, seating I’m not to sure about yet they are OKish but have not been very far in it as yet.

Not used ACC or LKA on this or any car my 5 as boring cruise control but it works
Les
Edit does MG do mud flaps for this car ? that might help.
I found these - hopefully they might help a little bit

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They do - the current infotainment systems on the ZS, 4 and the 5 we already get in Europe use a version of Android as the OS.
Yep. I'm just surprised there's so many systems out there that get distinctly bad reviews. I guess it's car manufacturers struggling to adapt to a world where software is so important.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back