MG4 Loud bang when charger connected

As you say small numbers but a big ask for people that have went through a lot of hassle rejecting one to put that faith into another.
Exactly. Especially experiencing that the dealer is not on your side when something goes wrong will make everyone in their right minds run away from this brand (or at least dealership).

They've been registered, so they're not going to be passed off as new cars anyway.
Will somebody in the U.K. ( and more importantly who ) will try and diagnose the problem with this car ?.
Or will get shipped back to the place of origin for further investigation etc ?.
The parts cannon has already been well and truly been fired at this car already.
If there is somewhere in the U.K. that had any chance of resolving this problem, then surely this would have been done well before now ?.
I know that the VAG group have a dedicated EV facility in Milton Keynes for troubleshooting difficult problems on EV’s that dealers have been unable to rectify.
Cars are flat bed transported to this facility.

If its so unrepairable it may well be sent back to China for investigation or dealer may well hold on to it for spares, will not be getting resold.
Probably not China, at least at first.
MG/SAIC have a UK design & research facility at the old Rover plant in Longbridge, nr Birmingham.
My guess is that it'll be sent there first for a hard stare.

Probably not China, at least at first.
MG/SAIC have a UK design & research facility at the old Rover plant in Longbridge, nr Birmingham.
My guess is that it'll be sent there first for a hard stare.
I agree, but am puzzled why this did not happen weeks ago TBH !!!.
I know there are engineers down there, but unsure if they have any repair facilities?.

Will somebody in the U.K. ( and more importantly who ) will try and diagnose the problem with this car ?.
Or will get shipped back to the place of origin for further investigation etc ?.
The parts cannon has already been well and truly been fired at this car already.
If there is somewhere in the U.K. that had any chance of resolving this problem, then surely this would have been done well before now ?.
I know that the VAG group have a dedicated EV facility in Milton Keynes for troubleshooting difficult problems on EV’s that dealers have been unable to rectify.
Cars are flat bed transported to this facility.
The biggest problem here is that MG won't let the dealers try to fix it without them being in control. They just kept telling them to update the car. Four times and why they still thought it would fix it. I believe if someone had a good look and did testing without MG interference it would have been sorted. Personally I love the car and if they would have offered another I would have took it.

The biggest problem here is that MG won't let the dealers try to fix it without them being in control. They just kept telling them to update the car. Four times and why they still thought it would fix it.
I am correct in thinking that the dealer in question DID install some replacement / donor parts to this car ?.
Of course MG CS would have been the driver in suppling / authorising the replacement of these parts.
Gone are the days when dealers are just allowed to fire the part cannon and order what they like anymore.
I was told by a senior tech at a VAG dealer, if they order items under warranty and install them without the consent of VW first, if the part is returned under warranty to VW and is found NOT to be defective, they reject the warranty claim and charge the coast back to the dealer.
We have to remember, if the dealer had identified the problem as being simple, then it would have been a quick agreement from MG CS and its all sorted.
The dealer was not going to spend many many work shop hours trying to diagnose the problem, to be then told by MG CS that they would not be picking up the tab for the work.

I am correct in thinking that the dealer in question DID install some replacement / donor parts to this car ?.
Of course MG CS would have been the driver in suppling / authorising the replacement of these parts.
Gone are the days when dealers are just allowed to fire the part cannon and order what they like anymore.
I was told by a senior tech at a VAG dealer, if they order items under warranty and install them without the consent of VW first, if the part is returned under warranty to VW and is found NOT to be defective, they reject the warranty claim and charge the coast back to the dealer.
We have to remember, if the dealer had identified the problem as being simple, then it would have been a quick agreement from MG CS and its all sorted.
The dealer was not going to spend many many work shop hours trying to diagnose the problem, to be then told by MG CS that they would not be picking up the tab for the work.
From what the dealer has said they have to have MG china online saying when to do what when. Even checking the wiring they had to be online with them at the same time. Just find it strange to try update 4 times when the first time it did not work

From what the dealer has said they have to have MG china online saying when to do what when. Even checking the wiring they had to be online with them at the same time. Just find it strange to try update 4 times when the first time it did not work
Yes, it is not a good system and very time consuming, but I am not surprised, sounds like "China knows best" and too few tools and training in local dealer's hands.

Well we handed back the MG4 today. They accepted it was not going to be fixed anytime soon. Very sad day.
Glad it's finally resolved have you decided what you are getting to replace it

There is a lot of new models coming the next year or so, it all depends on pricing. Some are already announced like byd dolphin, volvo ex30, zeekr x.

Got an offer for a puma st which is new and very very cheap
The 1.5 ST is a top car, very quick, 6 sec odd 0-60. got the big well in the boot you can fill with ice and keep stuff cold, let the plug out to drain it, similarly great for any manky kit you can dump in the rinse it out later.

Yes I would have. I like the 4.

I think they're mad not to make this offer. It's normal in practically any other form of commerce. Like a product, but the one you were supplied with is faulty or damaged? The first thing they offer is a brand new replacement, and that usually settles the issue. Most retailers far prefer doing that to having to refund the purchase price.

But a car is not typical goods ... you're talking about something 30x the price of even expensive white goods (for example).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back