MG4 motor broken (first in the World???)

capitan capete

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
IMG20230813142349.jpg
IMG_20230822_161301.jpg

Hello, good afternoon. This is my first message and I am using a translator since I cannot speak English perfectly.

About two weeks ago I had an engine break. before the break i heard a loud snap for about a minute before totally losing traction.

Once I was able to safely stop the vehicle, it was not possible to select the parking position, when I got out of the vehicle with the parking brake engaged, the doors were still in position D.

Being out of the vehicle the engine keeps running making a very ugly sound.

after many attempts it finally accepted the parking position and the engine stopped.

You can see that the oil got all the way to the taillights. and at the bottom a large amount of oil, personally I think what happened is that when it made a loud sound before stopping that it made a hole in the gearbox and spilled all the oil

Hello, good afternoon. This is my first message and I am using a translator since I cannot speak English perfectly.

About two weeks ago I had an engine break. before the break i heard a loud snap for about a minute before totally losing attraction.

Once I was able to safely stop the vehicle, it was not possible to select the parking position, when I got out of the vehicle with the parking brake engaged, the doors were still in position D.

Being out of the vehicle the engine keeps running making a very ugly sound.

after many attempts it finally accepted the parking position and the engine stopped.

You can see that the oil got all the way to the taillights. and at the bottom a large amount of oil, personally I think what happened is that when he made a loud sound before stopping that he made a hole in the gearbox and spilled all the oil
Most likely a gearbox failure. First one I have heard of.

How many km had the car been driven (from new)?

A few days before the first service, a very small noise is heard from the rear.

It is not important according to the service personnel, when I changed the tires the noise disappeared.

but I think that the breakdown was due to poor maintenance that someone did their job wrong.

With 4,000 km, let me know that you are losing oil, they tell me that this is because of the famous tube. Don't worry...

23500 kms I go to the service.

23800 kms I change the wheels and the noise disappears. I see that the oil filler and drain plugs have not been touched.
How is it possible to see the oil level without touching them?

The transmissions have vertical movement that does not look good...

I ask the service if they have verified the transmissions and they say they are fine.

26500kms engine dies

So if I am understanding you correctly, you had the oil leak early on (at 4,000km) and they said they'd replaced the oil (at 23,500km) at the first service but you suspect they didn't and maybe messed something else up as it failed soon afterwards. Is that right?

If so, why wasn't anything done about the oil leak between 4,000km and 23,500km?

before that,

At 3k I went to have them check the oil leak and the electric driver's seat doesn't work from 0 km.

between 4k and 23.5k nothing was done

Possibly that at 4k it lost oil due to a transmission joint and the service personnel thought it was the tube.

and the first service they did not do the corrective work

23,500 km

before that,

At 3k I went to have them check the oil leak and the electric driver's seat doesn't work from 0 km.

between 4k and 23.5k nothing was done

Possibly that at 4k it lost oil due to a transmission joint and the service personnel thought it was the tube.

and the first service they did not do the corrective work

23,500 km
Ok, thanks for the details, does sound like you had a very poor service from the garage.

I am sharing this information here, in Spain I do not want to talk much in case shit splashes me.

hahaha

but the most possible thing is that he will sue MG and ask for a new unit.

since I have many problems with:

the assistants
air-conditioning
battery cooling
charging speed
battery overheating
Theft alarm has been activated many times + than 200 times since I got the car.
key of the car open, close, but not start motor
and for now I don't remember any more mistakes

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums