MG4 motor broken (first in the World???)

Molybdenum disulfide is a pretty effective extreme pressure additive, I poured some into a couple of ICE lumps in the past and it noticeably quietened the normal valve train and cam chatter.
I believe the RAF used it in aircraft during WW2 as it would allow an engine to run for some time after losing its oil if a .50 calibre went through the block ( or metric equivalent )

Not sure it would have helped the MG here though, that looks sadder than any machine gun peppered Merlin 😵

Molybdenum disulfide is a pretty effective extreme pressure additive, I poured some into a couple of ICE lumps in the past and it noticeably quietened the normal valve train and cam chatter.
I believe the RAF used it in aircraft during WW2 as it would allow an engine to run for some time after losing its oil if a .50 calibre went through the block ( or metric equivalent )

Not sure it would have helped the MG here though, that looks sadder than any machine gun peppered Merlin 😵
It certainly helped my Cortina to survive losing most of my engine oil after my aftermarket oil gauge feed pipe got dragged off in deep snow. 😊

Hello, it's been a while since I said anything regarding this case.

Well, now I have a new engine, the consumption is the same.

updated to version r46.

but from time to time I have an engine stop.

Sometimes the engine failure light comes on and tells you to stop safely.

and other times the fault does not come on and disconnects the battery.

To restart the first gear I disconnect the 12v battery

other times just closing and opening doors resets the ECU

Loading speed seems to have improved but sometimes I have a significant drop.

Regarding the engine breakage, Saic tells me that there are suspicions that they have intentionally removed the oil. It seems that they didn't know that I complained after 2000 miles that I lost a lot of oil and the level was not restored during the service visits.

If I continue to have problems I will have to go through judicial means I hope that is not the case and that the brand assumes its part of the responsibility

greetings

photo_2023-11-13_16-49-14.jpg

Sin título.jpg

The first photo is the first engine failure and the second is more strange, I don't have the battery percentage and it says that the battery is charging...

Hello, it's been a while since I said anything regarding this case.

Well, now I have a new engine, the consumption is the same.

updated to version r46.

but from time to time I have an engine stop.

Sometimes the engine failure light comes on and tells you to stop safely.

and other times the fault does not come on and disconnects the battery.

To restart the first gear I disconnect the 12v battery

other times just closing and opening doors resets the ECU

Loading speed seems to have improved but sometimes I have a significant drop.

Regarding the engine breakage, Saic tells me that there are suspicions that they have intentionally removed the oil. It seems that they didn't know that I complained after 2000 miles that I lost a lot of oil and the level was not restored during the service visits.

If I continue to have problems I will have to go through judicial means I hope that is not the case and that the brand assumes its part of the responsibility

greetings

Thanks for updating,

Glad to hear you’ve got it back but sorry to hear it’s not 100% yet, might not help but you never know, I’ve heard of one other drive unit failure that was replaced under warranty. I believe he had similar HV battery disconnection problems after which was resolved by software as instructed by SAIC, presumably a drive module update to match the new unit or some such, it was on one of the MG4 Facebook groups.

Hopefully the dealer sends it to MG technical in China I presume & they get back to you quickly and get it resolved, this is probably what they may do but may speed things up if they have a possibility, unfortunately the problem seems to be waiting on SAIC getting back to dealers with problems out of the ordinary like this, not the way it should be unfortunately & surely a drive unit change for whatever reason should be in a workshop manual fully with software info etc. to avoid problems.

Sorry for rambling 😁 & good luck with it!

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel