MG4 New fault: Drivers door unlock button.

A question. If the passenger handle unlocks the car but does not lock the car, is it a hardware problem or a software problem?

My passenger side seems to unlock most times (I don't use it often enough to be 100% sure). Therefore, the hardware could be working. However, it refuses to lock the car 8 out of 10 times I have tried.

Hardware or software?

A question. If the passenger handle unlocks the car but does not lock the car, is it a hardware problem or a software problem?

My passenger side seems to unlock most times (I don't use it often enough to be 100% sure). Therefore, the hardware could be working. However, it refuses to lock the car 8 out of 10 times I have tried.

Hardware or software?
AFAIK the only fix for this is hardware i.e replacement handle. Check with dealer though.

Hardware or software?
It could be either or a combination.

Assuming you are talking about the button on the handle, this behaviour suggests the button is working but there's a communication problem or bug (probably with the BCM).

So far everyone who has had this has needed a replacement door handle unit.

My passenger side door handle failed a few weeks ago, I got a call to get a new one fitted and went in today. Find out that the handle is not painted, so I will have to go back next week. Looking at the handles on the car, the button is not painted, it is body colour - orange in my case. Trying to paint the button and the handle in one go seems not to be a great idea. Has any one had a replacement, painted handle fitted?

My passenger side door handle failed a few weeks ago, I got a call to get a new one fitted and went in today. Find out that the handle is not painted, so I will have to go back next week. Looking at the handles on the car, the button is not painted, it is body colour - orange in my case. Trying to paint the button and the handle in one go seems not to be a great idea. Has any one had a replacement, painted handle fitted?
No still waiting for mine to be painted before they can fit it, been waiting ages

I’ve had this problem first the drivers button didn’t work. Took car to dealership and they diagnosed faulty switch, while there they did a safety call update on central locking and ever since drivers button works fine but the passenger side doesn’t. It looks to me as if these issues are software related. On a separate issue my lane assist has to be disabled every time you start a new journey, on my car if you forget to cancel it automatically engages when you reach 4 mph and it’s bloody scary if you’ve not noticed.

I’ve had this problem first the drivers button didn’t work. Took car to dealership and they diagnosed faulty switch, while there they did a safety call update on central locking and ever since drivers button works fine but the passenger side doesn’t. It looks to me as if these issues are software related. On a separate issue my lane assist has to be disabled every time you start a new journey, on my car if you forget to cancel it automatically engages when you reach 4 mph and it’s bloody scary if you’ve not noticed.
LKA is supposed to only activate above 37mph.

The LKA is notified in the top left corner of the driver's dash screen, yellow is off (I think), white is on but not active, green is on and ready - should only be active above 37mph though as tsedge said.

I don't find it too obtrusive when it's on with my car specifically, it gently veers the car back into the centre of the lane. Once it has had me with white knuckles where it pulled me to the left when I was already in the middle of the lane, as it was wet and following the black tar line in the road join - not the white lines which were almost invisible.

Again it's not perfect technology, in any car, and different cars seem to behave differently with it. It's also a very strange feeling to have your car move your steering for you which will take a lot of getting used to IMO.

Our roads and road markings don't seem to help in certain places, with questionable lines and things you have to avoid in the road like the famous British Pothole.

If yours is active and correcting your lane under 37mph, that's inherently a fault, so double check it is, then speak to your dealer

I am starting to believe the door not locking from the buttons is software related too. Listen to this. Makes me think it is way open to bad updating.

I am starting to believe the door not locking from the buttons is software related too. Listen to this. Makes me think it is way open to bad updating.

Not only is the user experience a bit clunky the dealer update system sounds as equally frustrating to manage, as you said it's way open to some dealers missing modules or doing it in the wrong order either by accident or just can't be bothered.

It could be both - early door locks with mechanical faults plus software bugs.
Yeah the members that first reported this definitely described what sounds like hardware issues.

I have had the drivers door button stop working twice now and it is definitely a software problem for me as once the car is locked it immediately starts working again.

I think it has happened due to me leaning into the car to retrieve something and in doing so pressing on the seat. The screen then says something about key not detected and the drivers door button no longer works. I can walk around to the passenger door and lock it with that. The drivers door then works as normal.

My Trophy LR driver's door button no longer works at all. The button moves but unlike the other door there is no sound or feel of a microswitch operating.

Has anyone dared to try WD 40 spray in a bid to release a stuck microswitch plunger? The key fob and the other door button operate all locks fortunately, for the time being at least.

My Trophy LR driver's door button no longer works at all. The button moves but unlike the other door there is no sound or feel of a microswitch operating.

Has anyone dared to try WD 40 spray in a bid to release a stuck microswitch plunger? The key fob and the other door button operate all locks fortunately, for the time being at least.
I haven't used WD40 but have used their silicone spray to stop it freezing up in the cold weather with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used WD40 but have used their silicone spray to stop it freezing up in the cold weather with no problems.
Thanks Ian. The symptom is not affected by the weather but silicone spray is a better idea than WD40 which could attract dust etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact cleaner would also be a good idea: wondering if jetwashes are responsible for these failures. On my other car the button is membrane contact, wondering about the mg4 button (will look at the service manual when I get the chance)

Thanks Fnegroni. Because the left and right door buttons differ in their feel, I imagine that a plunger within the microswitch is stuck in the button-depressed position. During my 12 months of ownership neither a hose nor a pressure washer have been used by me, but I can't say the same for the dealer which returned the car in clean condition after the annual service. Perhaps I'll try a blast of contact cleaner first and, if successful, follow up with silicon spray as a lubricant.
I'd be very interested to know what you find in the service manual about the mechanism.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back