MG4 New fault: Horn beeping before driving

JimbobEV

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hey all,

This afternoon when I got back into my Trophy and put foot on brake to drive off, after approximately 10 secs the horn sounded twice with short, quiet beeps.
I have checked all doors are closed but can’t figure out why it’s doing it. It wasn’t this morning.
Wondering if anyone has experienced this and any ideas what’s causing it before going to dealers.

Edit: It has had the recall update and have been to dealers regarding drivers keyless entry button not working.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on the buttons on the doors. Mine did that a couple of times before the drive side button started playing up. It’s now totally broken.

I had the car in for the drivers door handle button not working at all about a week ago, dealer has asked MG next course of action but started horn sounding today??

My thoughts are that it’s a bad connection in the button and sometimes it’s activating on it’s own. And if the car is already unlocked it’s beeping at you? Same as if you press the unlock button a couple of times on the keyfob I think

Or perhaps it’s thinking you’re trying to lock the car while you’ve got it in Drive or in ready mode

It’s strange. It’s not as loud as pressing the horn myself and it’s a very quick double beep. It doesn’t beep when I lock or unlock the car. It doesn’t beep when unlocking the doors at very low speed.

I've recently had this happening to me. Was there any further development on fixes/causes?

Most times I get in the car the horn toots twice 5-10 seconds after I sit down. I've not had other problems - touch wood - but it's rather embarrassing when others are around and assume I'm alerting/reprimanding them!

I've recently had this happening to me. Was there any further development on fixes/causes?

Most times I get in the car the horn toots twice 5-10 seconds after I sit down. I've not had other problems - touch wood - but it's rather embarrassing when others are around and assume I'm alerting/reprimanding them!
I had this issue with mine they said software issue they updated software but it still happened.rejected car in end so it never got resolved

Mine has started doing it after it went in for some software updates 😕 Sometimes a double beep, sometimes a single. But not every time. I also now get the occasional dashboard alarm beep, but no warning messages. Once I put it in drive nothing more occurs.

I never had any of these before the updates, they started immediately afterwards. So much for "upgrades", they seem to have introduced more problems than they fixed - which is nothing afaics.

Horn sounding can be an indication of a faulty door latch mechanism - it is supposed to beep if a door is left open. Early on a few people had faulty door handles which had to be replaced - it might be something to do with this?

Definitely not a door alarm - it sounds as the car is powering up after you get in, before trying to put it into ready mode. No door open on the dash either.

The doors and tailgate are definitely properly closed. Once it happened when I had the doors open and was putting my daughter into her seat, the doors locked (with two open doors) and the horn went. I'm sure it could be a fault connected to that system. In taking it in for a service in a couple of weeks so perhaps an update will fix it.

its not the doors being open, nor the tailgate, nor the bonnet, nor a key fob button being pressed, nor anything else. It's some stupid software glitch. It happens to me every few days. Get in, displays load up, go into drive... beep... beep... quiet and very short beeps from the horn, about 5 seconds gap between beeps. The best one was yesterday with a police car next to me, staring over at me as my car beeped at them as we waited at a junction... It stops after 30 seconds, usually. Though last week it started beeping every time I indicated left or right.

As always, get out, lock, unlock, restart, sorts it all out totally.

This is not a car, it's a computer with 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

its not the doors being open, nor the tailgate, nor the bonnet, nor a key fob button being pressed, nor anything else. It's some stupid software glitch. It happens to me every few days. Get in, displays load up, go into drive... beep... beep... quiet and very short beeps from the horn, about 5 seconds gap between beeps. The best one was yesterday with a police car next to me, staring over at me as my car beeped at them as we waited at a junction... It stops after 30 seconds, usually. Though last week it started beeping every time I indicated left or right.

As always, get out, lock, unlock, restart, sorts it all out totally.

This is not a car, it's a computer with 4 wheels and a steering wheel.
Best try and video it on your phone so you have proof for your dealer 👍🏻

It sounds like the car's software has gotten into an inconsistent state - I wonder if a reboot (disconnect 12V) would help?
Yes, it's not a car, it's a computer on wheels... A good power off and on reboot does sort out most things, it just takes hours for the system to totally reset. However last time I just left it in ready state on the drive for an hour and it rebooted everything eventually.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back