MG4 not charging does anyone know what this error sign means ?

SamSam

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Charging my MG4 has become a challenge as I continuously receive an error message stating, "Make sure your cable is plugged in." I've also noticed that only the lights on the right side of the charging port are active, while the left side remains inactive. Could this asymmetry be causing the issue? As a caregiver for my mother on alternate weeks, I heavily rely on the car, and being without it puts me in a difficult situation. I urgently seek assistance and guidance to resolve this matter. Your help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpeg
    IMG_1747.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1746.jpeg
    IMG_1746.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 226
I've also noticed that only the lights on the right side of the charging port are active, while the left side remains inactive. Could this asymmetry be causing the issue?
The lights around the charging port are divided into 4 segments, corresponding with the charge level of the battery. At around 50% charge only the two right-hand segments will be illuminated; at 75% charge, three segments are illuminated; at 100% charge all four are illuminated. It's meant as a helpful way to see the charge level without needing to check the screen.

The lights around the charging port are divided into 4 segments, corresponding with the charge level of the battery. At around 50% charge only the two right-hand segments will be illuminated; at 75% charge, three segments are illuminated; at 100% charge all four are illuminated. It's meant as a helpful way to see the charge level without needing to check the screen.
Thank you for that useful information.

Charging my MG4 has become a challenge as I continuously receive an error message stating, "Make sure your cable is plugged in." I've also noticed that only the lights on the right side of the charging port are active, while the left side remains inactive. Could this asymmetry be causing the issue? As a caregiver for my mother on alternate weeks, I heavily rely on the car, and being without it puts me in a difficult situation. I urgently seek assistance and guidance to resolve this matter. Your help would be greatly appreciated
After 7 attempts at different EV points it’s finally slow charging… and the error is low tyre pressure on one of my tyres… Thank you for your replies.

My routine for charging the car is to first unlock the car, then open the charging flap, after that I lock the car, then plug in my charger and start the charger (Zappi) on its control panel. To end a charge I first unlock the car, (wait for the charging port to release my charging cable) then take out the charger and put it away. After that I close the charging flap and lock the car. That order seems to work best for me. I don’t usually sit in the car when charging it as I’m at home.

Edited to say, most times I set the car (MG4 Long Range) to charge up to 80% via the charging menu on the infotainment screen, unless it’s for a particularly long journey or the car’s once a month battery balancing charge when I charge it to 100%.

My routine for charging the car is to first unlock the car, then open the charging flap, after that I lock the car, then plug in my charger and start the charger (Zappi) on its control panel. To end a charge I first unlock the car, (wait for the charging port to release my charging cable) then take out the charger and put it away. After that I close the charging flap and lock the car. That order seems to work best for me. I don’t usually sit in the car when charging it as I’m at home.

Edited to say, most times I set the car (MG4 Long Range) to charge up to 80% via the charging menu on the infotainment screen, unless it’s for a particularly long journey or the car’s once a month battery balancing charge when I charge it to 100%.
Much appreciated... Thank you. I will bear that in mind going foward.

not sure if it's normal or not but with the 51 and with the home 240v plugin charger... It prefers the charger plunged into power and turned on before connecting to car. If I don't I have to either start the routine again or open the door and start from the touch screen.

I noticed my DC charging pins had quite a bit of water in them, I got a tissue to dry and it charged fine but would expect it would of been a problem if I hadn't so worth checking before plugging in for everyone

I had problems charging too, so they updated the charging system on my car with firmware. No problem since.
As I have charging problems too the Car will only accept a small amount of charge then cuts off.
You say that the dealer has updated your " Firmware" My dealer has updated my Software and its still the same..Did they try to resolve your problem first with Software and then later with Firmware? Thanks

As I have charging problems too the Car will only accept a small amount of charge then cuts off.
You say that the dealer has updated your " Firmware" My dealer has updated my Software and its still the same..Did they try to resolve your problem first with Software and then later with Firmware? Thanks
What software did they update? I had firmware especially for the charging installed.

They tell me that I have has all the latest Software that are available!! I have tried two different Public chargers and it just behaves the same as My home Omhe charger. Was the Firmware for the car or your charger? thanks

They tell me that I have has all the latest Software that are available!! I have tried two different Public chargers and it just behaves the same as My home Omhe charger. Was the Firmware for the car or your charger? thanks
I don't know. Infotainment is the only software version we can check. There are individual updates for almost everything. AC, LKA, charging and so on. But my car would sometimes accept charging, others not. Now it's fine. But it would always accept charge at the dealer, so it was hard for me to prove. If it's easy for you to prove, then the dealer should fix it.

curveball warning: Are you using a 7kW nom charger, and if so, what make? There are, apparently, a few types that have their 'overvoltage' (as in 230V nominal A.C. supply) cut-out set at the uk grid limit level* of 253V; if the supply-side exceeds this for the duration set by the charger manufacturer (likely to be a few cycles, i.e. ~ 50 milliseconds) then the charger cuts out. There is at least one charger manufacturer whose units seem to self-protect like this (how do I know...ha!) and the DNO engineer who called this morning did say "...it's a known issue with some of them..".
fwiw, i've been seeing in excess of 30 charge drops over a 5 hour overnight schedule, with the individual mini-sessions often only lasting a few seconds, so have had the DNO on it this-morning - they fitted a voltage datalogger to record the actual V for the next week or so.

* for avoidance of doubt, the nominal 1-p (single-phase, which is what most Uk households have) limit actually, er, isn't a 'limit'. It isn't limited, at all. the 1-p power quality general bound is 230V + or - 10% (hence the 253V) for 95% of the time. Outside of that 95%, your dno can presumably supply what they like... [Maybe a DNO or NG elect eng will enlighten us or correct me if I understood that wrongly??]

good luck

ah, 'my bad', so Frankie gets it also, but on public chargers too...bu99er.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel