MG4 not in Carwow top 20 anymore. Anyone know why?

Car reviews should really include not just how good or bad the car is on test, but the dealer network, how well the warranty is being upheld and customer ownership satisfaction. This may of course be difficult on new models.

For example, the media seem fixated with the MG 7 Year warranty, but never mention that many items do not get 7 year cover at all. A more thorough review would point this out.

There’s a big difference between a journalist having a car for a day to test it and longer term ownership. I know some do try by quoting ownership surveys.

Another example of this with a different manufacturer is Land Rover. The media is raving about the latest Range Rover, which is undoubtedly a great car.
The Land Rover reliability and dealership network is so bad It‘s regularly in the bottom 3 in surveys, yet this is seldom mentioned on a review. I certainly wouldn’t buy another Land Rover anytime soon based on my experience of reliability and dealer support, no matter how good the reviews.

I know that most potential owners will look at the car itself review, but an otherwise good car can be completely spoilt by lack of a good network and support infrastructure.

Last edited:
Car reviews should really include not just how good or bad the car is on test, but the dealer network, how well the warranty is being upheld and customer ownership satisfaction. This may of course be difficult on new models.

For example, the media seem fixated with the MG 7 Year warranty, but never mention that most items do not get 7 year cover at all. A more thorough review would point this out.
Which items do not get covered by the warranty?

Here’s a link to give you a flavour… scroll down. Different models may vary.

The most noticeable for me is the infotainment which has proven so far to be far from reliable, only has 3 Years warranty. Could be expensive.
Thanks for bringing this up! I've skimmed the warranty before and noticed no red flags, but apparently I missed the infotainment. I still cannot see anything else major, but the infotainment itself is a biggie. Especially given that it's the only means of controlling some of the main functions of the car (like the fog lights, drive modes and climate).

I'm not overly worried about the infotainment only being 3 years. Electronics either work or they don't and within the 3 years any faulty connections will have shown up.

Thanks for bringing this up! I've skimmed the warranty before and noticed no red flags, but apparently I missed the infotainment. I still cannot see anything else major, but the infotainment itself is a biggie. Especially given that it's the only means of controlling some of the main functions of the car (like the fog lights, drive modes and climate).
Yes, it’s interesting. All warranties have exclusions, but it’s easy to think that you get 7 year ‘bumper to bumper’ cover, which is not the case.

It depends what the criteria is, it might be the top twenty best selling for example.

There are a multitude of exclusions in the Kia 7 year warranty as well (Having come from an EV6 we checked them out)

Seems the norm and nothing to stress over everyone raves about the kia warranty and it has almost exactly the same limits and exclusions

We run both a Kia and a MG EV. Maybe it is a dealer thing but Kia have been much more proactive in dealing with recall issues and resolving faults, regardless of what the warranty says.

MG's poor communication and reluctance to sort out breather and under tray issues on some owner's cars does not promote confidence.

The proof of the pudding will come if/when warranty claims are made and dealt with (or not).

It’s quite clever promoting the 7 year warranty (Kia are the same). Of course all warranties have exclusions. Kia claim that they are the only Manufacturer in Europe to offer a 7 year warranty across the range. Kia also says it’s just like a 3 year warranty only longer’. In fairness Kia seem to have fewer exclusions in their warranty.
It’s also interesting that the battery is covered for 7 Years when nearly all other EV’s that I can see are covered for 8 years (so both MG and Kia have dropped this in under the radar)

For example, the media seem fixated with the MG 7 Year warranty, but never mention that many items do not get 7 year cover at all. A more thorough review would point this out.

There’s a big difference between a journalist having a car for a day to test it and longer term ownership. I know some do try by quoting ownership surveys.

Another example of this with a different manufacturer is Land Rover. The media is raving about the latest Range Rover, which is undoubtedly a great car.
The Land Rover reliability and dealership network is so bad It‘s regularly in the bottom 3 in surveys, yet this is seldom mentioned on a review. I certainly wouldn’t buy another Land Rover anytime soon based on my experience of reliability and dealer support, no matter how good the reviews.

I know that most potential owners will look at the car itself review, but an otherwise good car can be completely spoilt by lack of a good network and support infrastructure.
Landrover always receive positive reviews by the motoring press because Landrover is a British institution, criticising one is akin to speaking ill of the royal family,here in Ireland ( or Australia for example)no one would ever dream of saying a Landrover discovery is superior to a Toyota Landcruiser yet that’s the kind of thing you hear frequently from British motoring journalists, “ Landrover is off road king “ etc

By the way I accept they look great and if I wasn’t the one paying for repairs, I’d have one every time over a Toyota 4WD

We run both a Kia and a MG EV. Maybe it is a dealer thing but Kia have been much more proactive in dealing with recall issues and resolving faults, regardless of what the warranty says.

MG's poor communication and reluctance to sort out breather and under tray issues on some owner's cars does not promote confidence.

The proof of the pudding will come if/when warranty claims are made and dealt with (or not).
I've heard that too regarding KIA being decent dealing with issues.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back