MG4 Opinions Reviews Of Daily Use

It is great. You can use it daily, charge when you want and go anywhere.

If you are looking for ownership reports there are many threads already on this - the search function is your friend.

If you have more specific questions you are much more likely to get some useful answers in this thread if you ask/add them. Especially if you tell us how you expect to use the car, your charging situation etc...

So... what exactly is it that you are worried or concerned about or want to know?

Mine gets 500 miles a week on it. Great fun daily driver with little to complain about tbh. Nippy and fun in the corners to drive. Make sure you get a home charger or affordable charging else where to make it work for you 🙂

Hi guys

Im due to get a MG4 se soon so I wanted to know peoples opinions about using it daily, charging travelling etc

Much appreciated

Tell us whether it's an SR or LR, because the two different battery types behave differently.

Also, scroll through the thread titles in this subforum to find those that address the issues you want to know about, you'll find a lot of information.

Also read up about the undertray bulge (you might well have it) and the noisy air conditioner condenser, because these are two issues you may very well find need to be addressed under warranty.

There are also a good handful of rather annoying software bugs (which hopefully might get fixed with updated software but don't hold your breath) and how to work round them. Like the lights coming on in broad daylight, the USB music player not recognising folders and the cabin temperature having to be set 5 degrees higher than you actually want it.

Oh, and prepare to replace the bulbs in the cabin light, birthday cake candles would do a better job.

It is great. You can use it daily, charge when you want and go anywhere.

If you are looking for ownership reports there are many threads already on this - the search function is your friend.

If you have more specific questions you are much more likely to get some useful answers in this thread if you ask/add them. Especially if you tell us how you expect to use the car, your charging situation etc...

So... what exactly is it that you are worried or concerned about or want to know?
One issue is the home charging because my street is not safe at night and leaving it for 8 hours charging overnight might be a bit of an issue

One issue is the home charging because my street is not safe at night and leaving it for 8 hours charging overnight might be a bit of an issue
What, in particular, are you concerned about regarding charging at home? What do you think may happen?

Well, you've decided to get an MG4 despite this, so you must have plans.

Please, please, tell me you have off-road parking so that you can lead a charger cable from your home electricity supply to the car without it crossing public land (e.g. the pavement).

Tell us whether it's an SR or LR, because the two different battery types behave differently.

Also, scroll through the thread titles in this subforum to find those that address the issues you want to know about, you'll find a lot of information.

Also read up about the undertray bulge (you might well have it) and the noisy air conditioner condenser, because these are two issues you may very well find need to be addressed under warranty.

There are also a good handful of rather annoying software bugs (which hopefully might get fixed with updated software but don't hold your breath) and how to work round them. Like the lights coming on in broad daylight, the USB music player not recognising folders and the cabin temperature having to be set 5 degrees higher than you actually want it.

Oh, and prepare to replace the bulbs in the cabin light, birthday cake candles would do a better job
What, in particular, are you concerned about regarding charging at home? What do you think may happen?
Because my street is not very safe and due to the hot weather there have been quite a few robberies in my area especially cars from open windows. I understand that you can charge through your house through a plug but im just thinking wont that be risky leaving the window open?

Well, you've decided to get an MG4 despite this, so you must have plans.

Please, please, tell me you have off-road parking so that you can lead a charger cable from your home electricity supply to the car without it crossing public land (e.g. the pavement).
I bought it to save money instead wasting money on fuel and high cost of living

I park my vehicles outside my house on a public road so i can put the cable through my house

I park my vehicles outside my house on a public road so i can put the cable through my house
This could be an issue for you. I’d recommend contacting your local council to ensure you can do this, and to establish what safety measures you need to deploy if doing so. Otherwise you’re open to complaints and unfortunately claims in the event that someone trips over the cable. Might sound silly, but we live in something of a claim culture now…

Notwithstanding the above good advice, you could get an electrician to fit an outside socket (on its own, protected, feed). Window open problem solved. The outside socket can also have a lockable cover (even when the plug is inserted) to prevent anyone else from using it.

Notwithstanding the above good advice, you could get an electrician to fit an outside socket (on its own, protected, feed). Window open problem solved. The outside socket can also have a lockable cover (even when the plug is inserted) to prevent anyone else from using it.
Or an inside switch, or switch off the MCB.

Good for you, but without off-street access to an electricity supply this needs some planning. You should probably read this thread.

Some councils will allow a charger cable to be laid across the pavement with a good cable protector, but others will not. Some councils are pro-active about facilitating the installation of things like the Kerbo or Gul-E, but others are not. You can't just lay a cable across the pavement willy-nilly.

You also need to think about the cable itself. Wall-box chargers (which might be best for you if you can sort out the cable-across-the-pavement thing, because no open window is required) seem to come with quite long cables and would probably be able to do the job in one cable run. "Granny chargers", the trickle chargers that come with the car and plug into a 13A socket, only have 5 metres cable. This introduces a few issues.

First, even without an extension lead, the long power drain from a granny cable can cause the plug to heat up. Using a plastic socket inside a house isn't necessarily the safest way to do this and you should really get an electrician's opinion about this. Second, introducing an extension lead is more opportunity for plug and cable heating and can introduce safety issues. Look into buying a very heavy-duty extension lead if you're doing this, and monitor all plugs and connectors for heating.

It is certainly possible to live entirely off a granny cable (with a bit of supplementation from rapid chargers from time to time), I'm doing it, but you need to be careful both with your electrical supply set-up and with where you run the cables, especially if they need to cross public land.

Hi guys

Im due to get a MG4 se soon so I wanted to know peoples opinions about using it daily, charging travelling etc

Much appreciated

You've made up your mind to get this, and you have the determination to make it work. Good for you. You will be able to make it work. But it's not as simple as just running a cable out of your kitchen window as if it was a lawn mower. You need to think it through.

Can you, legally, run a cable from your house to wherever you want to park the car? That's your first challenge. You need to talk to your local council and find out what is allowed and what isn't. Go armed with information about cable protectors and things like the Gul-E and the Kerbo. Be aware though that if even if they are amenable to facilitating a Gul-E or a Kerbo for you, that won't happen instantly and unless they will allow a cable protector you'll at least have to start off using public charging.

If you are able to run a cable from your house (even if perhaps not immediately), good news. However, you need to look at electrical safety as well as the security implications of an open window. You're envisaging the use of your granny charger here, and as I said you should get an electrician to see if what you propose is wise. A lot depends on the age and electrical installation in the house, but plastic domestic plug and granny charger could be an issue.

You will also need an extension lead if you propose to use a granny charger like this, and you should research what sort of extension lead will be suitable for that sort of power transmission kept up uninterrupted for many hours.

One thing to look at is having an external socket fitted in a waterproof box. That could solve the problem of electrical safety as it will be fitted with that purpose in mind, and it will move the danger point - the socket - out of doors. It would also solve your home security worries. However if you're going to do that it would be well worth looking at a wall-box EV charger instead. These cost about £1000 but they charge the car a lot quicker than a granny lead, and electrical safety is better. You can also get a long enough cable that extensions won't be necessary. You can also look at variable electricity tariffs to make your EV charging significantly cheaper, and if you do a high mileage it's a no-brainer.

If you have a wall box then you will be able to charge at home for all your needs even if you do a high mileage. With the granny charger you may find that you can't pick up enough range overnight to cover your next day's driving, which is a downside. However if you have a (reasonably cheap) public rapid charger nearby, it's entirely possible to bump up your charge level quickly on that, then come home and do the last 10-20% on the granny charger. This also reduces the risk of plug overheating.

But what if you can't legally run a cable to where you park your car, or have to wait for something to be installed before you can do that? You'll have to rely on public chargers, at least for a while.

There are two basic types of public charger which serve different purposes. Rapid DC chargers will pump in a lot of charge quickly, typically taking you from 20% to 80% while you go for a coffee. Great. But that will not cover all your battery's needs.

Type 2 AC chargers are slower, and they're often called destination chargers. You find them in car parks where you might want to leave your car for several hours while you go shopping or go to the theatre. You might get 10% battery fill in an hour. These are better for the battery in the long term, but unless you have a type 2 charger within walking distance of your house you're not really going to be able to manage solely on these. The car will need to go on one periodically, though.

EV batteries need to balance or equalise their cells by sitting on the charger for half an hour or more after they've done charging. They can't realistically do this on a DC charger and so need time on a granny charger, a wall box or a type 2 charger to do it. The LR battery, so far as I know, doesn't need this so often, but LR owners will be able to tell you how often. A good plan may be to charge to 90% or higher on a DC rapid charger, then take the car to a type 2 to finish and balance.

My SR balances every single time I charge it to 100%. I have never seen it reach 100% on either the granny charger or a type 2, and stop completely. It always spends about half an hour puttering along at about 20 watts while it does its thing. I don't know what happens if you continually charge it to 80% on a rapid then drive off, without giving it the chance. I think balancing sessions have to be planned more frequently for the SR than for the LR.

The LR requirement not to sit for any length of time at over 80% charge, meaning that unless you have a long trip (50 miles or more) planned for the next day, you should stop the charge at 80%, also has to be taken into account. One of the joys of the SR is that you just whack it up to 100% regardless, and of course if you're on anything but a rapid charger it will then balance, but you need to be able to let it do this.

Just some things to think through. Nobody else can tell you what to do, because everybody's circumstances are different. But if you approach the problem sensibly, aware of what the options are (and what they aren't!) you'll find a routine that works for you.

Look, we have a member here with an SE LR who lives in a house that is off-grid and with a very restricted electricity supply using some solar and I think a wind turbine. He can't charge at home at all. He lives seven miles up a single-track road from the nearest ChargePlace Scotland village charger. The weather in winter can be atrocious. But he's making it work and he loves the car.

Happy motoring.

Because my street is not very safe and due to the hot weather there have been quite a few robberies in my area especially cars from open windows. I understand that you can charge through your house through a plug but im just thinking wont that be risky leaving the window open?
Pass a good quality extension cable through your letter box and plug the granny charger into it. The socket end of the extension cable will go through most letter boxes. Then to stop it going off into the sunset, or in your case the moonlight, secure it with two small padlocks and a chain.

Extension.jpg

Last edited:
The car is parked on a public road though, which is probably an issue. Although we're still a bit hazy about whether his cable would obstruct a pavement or other right of way.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back