MG4 or Megane E Tech

I had my first look at the MG4 today and it was disappointing. I viewed a Trophy and the SE. Externally, apart from the front and Trophy rear lights, it was a bit boring. Internally it looked down market and kind of matched its low'ish price. Could I enjoy the dash layout etc everyday, I would prefer not to. I used to have a Kona Electric so know how nice EVs are to drive but....
I think the Megane E does a better job around, which it should of course at the price. I'll be keeping my '21 Tucson PHEV longer since I can't imagine losing its good feeling when ever I sit in it and in 2500 miles it's not emptied the tank of petrol I had when I bought it so I have the EV drive benefits.
Nice to know, thank you for your feedback. I used to own Kia eNiro and MG5 so would be interesting to se how MG4 compares to these.

I had my first look at the MG4 today and it was disappointing. I viewed a Trophy and the SE. Externally, apart from the front and Trophy rear lights, it was a bit boring. Internally it looked down market and kind of matched its low'ish price. Could I enjoy the dash layout etc everyday, I would prefer not to. I used to have a Kona Electric so know how nice EVs are to drive but....
I think the Megane E does a better job around, which it should of course at the price. I'll be keeping my '21 Tucson PHEV longer since I can't imagine losing its good feeling when ever I sit in it and in 2500 miles it's not emptied the tank of petrol I had when I bought it so I have the EV drive benefits.
I haven't seen the Mégane but have similar feelings re the 4 (which may change if and when I see a real one) and my Outlander phev which is very well specced and although 7 years old and has had it's tank filled a few times has averaged over 103 mpg and with zero road fund licence as it was then....

Btw, if the Tucson has the software feature that fires up the engine if you haven't put fresh fuel in it for x months, disconnection of the aux battery for a few minutes causes it to forget. In any event I never fill the tank unless a longish trip is planned just so I can put the required 15 litres in there if necessary.

Edit: I actually prefer the facelift 5 for looks and the cockpit configuration and if it wasn't for the fact that rear seat passengers can't get their feet under the fronts I might have gone for one even though there must be yet another revision, on the new ev base, in the pipeline.

Second edit: I would never in a million years contemplate swopping my Outlander for a 4, the latter is far more useful. In the event that we did entertain a 4 it would replace my wife's Skoda Citigo. Just for info.

I test drove a pre facelift 5 and liked the drive very much.

With apologies to Kaloyan for the thread drift.

Last edited:
Interesting review, first I've seen that referred to the car as being down market, looking cheap.
I wonder if there will be more reviews like this as more people get to see it in the flesh, especially after all the rave reviews online.

Btw, if the Tucson has the software feature that fires up the engine if you haven't put fresh fuel in it for x months, disconnection of the aux battery for a few minutes causes it to forget. ...
It probably does that for a reason.

It probably does that for a reason.
Of course it does, but it's still a b*gger if you can't get 15 litres in (through bad planning) and you have to see petrol being burned on what should be an ev journey.

It's to guard against the engine getting 'stale' fuel.

Perceived quality is always a tricky one, as it tends to be in the eye of the beholder.

I'll be trading in a car that now retails for £44k, as such, my perceived 'quality-ometer' is lower as a result.

Just a point on stale fuel.... my Tucson PHEV is 1 year old and 2500 miles without any stale fuel problems and still running on its original fill and several hundred and something equivalent mpg. You have to wonder in what circumstances anyone would change it for a full EV unless you fall for the 'latest new shiny thing syndrome' and that I have succumbed to numerous times over the years.

Just a point on stale fuel.... my Tucson PHEV is 1 year old and 2500 miles without any stale fuel problems and still running on its original fill and several hundred and something equivalent mpg. You have to wonder in what circumstances anyone would change it for a full EV unless you fall for the 'latest new shiny thing syndrome' and that I have succumbed to numerous times over the years.
Hahaha ha hahaha I haven't had such a laugh for ages. One should aks themselves why do I see way more EVs on the road than PHEV.

I just compared my insurance and mg 4 is way out when compare to Megane e tech. This basically gives same PCP when compare mid spec Megane to trophy mg 4

Well I have to agree I’m afraid. I was trying to maintain an open mind til I saw it in the metal. Today we took our 5 for its first service to Frasers of Falkirk. We just waited for the car in the almost empty but extremely tidy showroom and just enjoying the complimentary coffee and biscuits and watching the painters smartening up the outside.
Then a transporter drew up at the roadside brim full of sparkling MG4’s in many colours except the tangerine. They were all unloaded before our eyes and lined up right in front of us.
My good lady’s immediate reaction was to say the front end was plain, ordinary and not to her taste. The back end report she gave wasn’t nearly as complimentary though, she just didn’t like it. The boot lid spoiler was just a very sharp protrusion too far. I have to say I agree, it seems to have a fair bit going for it but looks are not for us.
We happily paid for our service and departed to head for a fine lunch at the Torwood Garden restaurant in our lovely 100% battery beautiful red five estate - best wishes everyone - enjoy your MG4 s - we’ll not be in your way in the line up for delivery.

To get all the same spec level as the MG4 Trophy you'd need at least the Techno trim on the Megane ... that's £38,495 start vs £31,495 start.

£38,495 is putting the Megane into KIA Niro EV territory, and I think the Niro is better.

To get all the same spec level as the MG4 Trophy you'd need at least the Techno trim on the Megane ... that's £38,495 start vs £31,495 start.

£38,495 is putting the Megane into KIA Niro EV territory, and I think the Niro is better.
I tested the new Niro EV which was fine and thought the styling wasn't very distinctive (nice?) apart from the C pillar contrast colouring which they seem to have added to bling it up a bit. Yes I know they make a big deal out of bleeding air under it to extend range, not convinced. But the deal breaker for me was no 360 degree parking camera which you can get with the top range Renault. I have yet to see the Renault in the flesh.

As a matter of interest have you considered the Nissan Ariya, same platform as the Renault?

Nissan Ariya​

Nissan Ariya - front
My wife likes it quite a lot, so do I but we do not really need a car that big. Price wise, it is a bit over my budget too. It is very beautiful car though I must admit. I used to own 1st gen Nissan leaf, MG5 and Kia eNiro and I am looking for a medium size car with mid size battery for daily commute and to be capable of doing long journeys too. This is why I was thinking of Megan E Tech, but for now MG4 is my favourite. Just ticks most of the boxes.

I just keep going round in circles!

I'm now back looking at Kia EV6 GTLine S rwd with heat pump but trading the Outlander for that.

Anyway, won't waste more of your time.

Still hope to see and drive an MG4 to make a proper assessment.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back