MG4 Range

My view is that regardless of what you pay per kw , I would always want the most I can get from each of those kw's . I was the same with petrol. However I do use heating, drive at a reasonable pace as it just feels better. So yes enjoy the car but nothing wrong with getting the most from your hard earned money.

Over on the Polestar Forum regarding range and how to optimise it ...
Latest thinking is drive the car without any regen ... at all. At first I was like no, really, but I've tried it and it really works. The car can really coast without regen (at 2,000kg it's got a lot of momentum), so maintaining a cruise at motorway speeds needs very little input from the go faster pedal (unless going uphill of course).
We still get regen when the brake is applied.

Not sure if this is an option on the MG4, but I suppose the lowest regen setting could work in the same way?

Last edited:
Regen 1 is the lowest you can go ... equates to about -5% on the power meter when "coasting". And it does make sense for longer journeys ... it takes far more power to get back up to speed than you recover with regen when slowing down. Around town though then a higher regen level makes more sense as it allows you to control vehicle speed better. (All IMHO)

On the Spanish MG4 Luxury the heat pump is standard fitting, as is 11kw onboard charger. Rest of spec is Trophy LR. Also standard on Trophy ER and XPower here.
Should have bought a Spanish one! I “think the uk x power” has a heatpump as standard.

1000003336.jpg

Range improving...

Lucky you.

Last weekend, on the Friday, I plugged in to a destination charger while I was out because I wanted extra range for the Saturday. For some reason my GOM leaped from showing about 60 miles left to over 100. I think it had somehow forgotten the recent temperature and driving data. It looked good but I knew it was lying because the temperature was still 3ºC. It gradually sorted itself out.

Still, we're looking at 12º tomorrow so if I was actually going out it might start to look better.

Temperature really helps. But it was close to 16.5/100 when it was around 10C. What definitely does not work well is wind, and rain combined with a drop in temperature. Then the car gets damp inside and you need to heat up and spin the fan. The is eating energy..

Lucky you.

Last weekend, on the Friday, I plugged in to a destination charger while I was out because I wanted extra range for the Saturday. For some reason my GOM leaped from showing about 60 miles left to over 100. I think it had somehow forgotten the recent temperature and driving data. It looked good but I knew it was lying because the temperature was still 3ºC. It gradually sorted itself out.

Still, we're looking at 12º tomorrow so if I was actually going out it might start to look better.
It may have reset the accumulated trip by itself as it seems to do every so often.

Every 100 hours of uptime (car being on) it resets the acc total counter. (If you haven't reset it yourself in between).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back