MG4 Range

But I still think heat pumps are marginal in the UK. Then you also not only have the extra cost, but something else mechanical to fail, and extra weight to drag around the 320 days a year you don't really need it.

If it's only a question of range economy, I'm not honestly all that bothered. I am bothered that my car heats up toasty when I turn the heater on, but it seems to do that pretty well as it is. I'm actually pretty chuffed with the HVAC on this car. (Apart from the fact that it adds five to the temperature...)

There is a what car winter range test on YouTube (actually 2) mg4 is in one and the comment on the temp setting as the wanted all the cars the same, to get 19.5 in the 4 they had to set it at 23°
The actually go into the benefits of the heat pump for UK spec cars.

The MG 4 trophy returned 3.2 miles per kWh in the test, so about 190 odd miles, it was tested at so many miles at 30 then 50 then 70 on a track until it died. Temp was 3-7° outside.

View attachment 18639
Following my previous monthly posts, here's my average efficiency for June. Efficiency of 3.9 compares with 3.8 in May and 3.5 in April. That's an average real world range with a mix of driving of 240 miles in June. It's disappointing not to see 4 or more miles/kWh in these warmer months. I got 4.5 miles/kWh in my previous car in June last year. That was a Tesla Model 3 standard range, which is highly efficient. One thing I've noticed (and a few well known reviewers have also commented on this) is that the MG4 returns excellent efficiency relative to other EVs below motorway speeds but is relatively less efficient at motorway speeds, ie the usual difference in efficiency between low and high speeds is relatively high in the MG4. I'll post again at the end of July.
IMG_9698.jpeg

Here's my latest accumulated total for July. A high proportion of motorway driving this month, often in wet and windy conditions. That explains the low 3.6 miles/kWh compared with 3.9 and 3.8 in June and May. 3.6 is still an average range of 220 miles. I've been getting anything between 3.3 and 3.6 on motorway runs.

I drive the same stretch just slightly under 100km in Norway like 2-3 times a month, and I've noticed a quite noticeable increase in consumption if I use the adaptive cruise control, instead of keeping the trafic flow by myself. I guess it has to do with the slight stutter/uneven driving by the ACC.

Driving myself I have 13.x to 14.x kWh per 100km. with ACC I have 17.x to 18.x kWh per 100km. Observed over several trips now.

Anyone else noticed the higher consumption when using ACC?

I drive the same stretch just slightly under 100km in Norway like 2-3 times a month, and I've noticed a quite noticeable increase in consumption if I use the adaptive cruise control, instead of keeping the trafic flow by myself. I guess it has to do with the slight stutter/uneven driving by the ACC.

Driving myself I have 13.x to 14.x kWh per 100km. with ACC I have 17.x to 18.x kWh per 100km. Observed over several trips now.

I don't keep a close enough eye on consumption to notice. But I have noticed that if you reduce the gap-between-cars ACC setting to two bars (I ain't going to 1) then there's a lot less stuttering and a smoother ride all round. I guess it increases the distance between when it becomes aware of the car in front, and the target position relative to it, so it can brake more gently.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the 100% range at 314 miles ready for the return journey.

View attachment 19371

So the larger battery cars spout the same drivel as my standard. I can approach WLTP if I run it to 2 % or so and have been driving sensibly in warm weather - 48kWh x 4.5m/kWh =216 miles is possible, I've done it. So if you drive till empty, there's your 220, but who does that other than the WLTP testers.
But that's the max anyone can sensibly expect if they regularly venture north of 40mph IMO.

The only time I even glance at the GOM on mine is around 30%, where it's suddenly pretty accurate, but even then it's easier just to work on 2x battery percentage in mild weather.

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere but 2 questions about range that I wonder if people can offer any insight.

Has anyone noticed a significant drop in efficiency/range with additional passengers/luggage in the car?
Has anyone experimented with which regen setting is most appropriate for different driving situations (motorway/DC vs rural vs urban) and can offer any insight?

TIA

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere but 2 questions about range that I wonder if people can offer any insight.

Has anyone noticed a significant drop in efficiency/range with additional passengers/luggage in the car?
Has anyone experimented with which regen setting is most appropriate for different driving situations (motorway/DC vs rural vs urban) and can offer any insight?

TIA
I've been driving EVs for six years and never really noticed a great difference in range with people and luggage. It's towing, roof boxes and bicycles that will affect range significantly. With regen, I'd stick to personal preference. You could drive more economically without it but you'd have to do a lot of anticipation and long slowing down. You'd probably just end up irritating other drivers. People often use lower or no regen on motorways because it's slightly more economical and higher regen in towns and cities where there's a lot of stop-start. I just have mine on the strongest all the time and drive accordingly.

Here's my latest accumulated total for July. A high proportion of motorway driving this month, often in wet and windy conditions. That explains the low 3.6 miles/kWh compared with 3.9 and 3.8 in June and May. 3.6 is still an average range of 220 miles. I've been getting anything between 3.3 and 3.6 on motorway runs.
Here's my latest accumulated total for August in my Trophy. 3.7 miles/kWh compares with 3.9 in June, 3.8 in May and 3.6 in July. Definitely done more motorway driving in August than in May and June but less than in July. It shows in the figures. 3.3 miles/kWh is about what I get in full motorway driving in these summer months. We're probably looking at an average summer range of around 230 miles. I'll keep posting a monthly average until I've got a whole year of figures so you can see spring, summer, autumn, winter and year-round averages. As always, I'm driving normally to the speed limit and road conditions.
2023-09-01 10.36.54.jpg

Haven't noticed.

I have noticed it a bit. I feel I drive more smoothly and with better anticipation than the ACC does, and it makes sense that that affects consumption. I tend to avoid the ACC because it feels a bit jerky, unless I'm in a situation where there's a definite advantage (like on the motorway).

Here's my latest accumulated total for August in my Trophy. 3.7 miles/kWh compares with 3.9 in June, 3.8 in May and 3.6 in July. Definitely done more motorway driving in August than in May and June but less than in July. It shows in the figures. 3.3 miles/kWh is about what I get in full motorway driving in these summer months. We're probably looking at an average summer range of around 230 miles. I'll keep posting a monthly average until I've got a whole year of figures so you can see spring, summer, autumn, winter and year-round averages. As always, I'm driving normally to the speed limit and road conditions.
View attachment 19941
I know the lack of the rear spoiler on the SE helps efficiency but I can honestly say I struggle to get mine below 4 miles / kWh as long as its above 15 deg and dry.
I gave it a light thrashing the other day running wifey to a late appointment. 50 mile round trip, 600ft elevation change en route, mix of 60 and 70 mph roads into Inverness.
4.2 miles kWh when I parked up, better than our old 2014 leaf would do if memory serves.

It must be the serious lack of decent roads up your way, old chap.

I can get miraculous numbers if I drive to Edinburgh, for sure, but I drop about 800 feet in elevation on the journey. Coming back is an entirely different story. I really have to be pootling to get back home from any round trip with a number that starts with a 4.

Just on a tangent, how's your undertray? I still wonder if my undertray bulge (which the dealer didn't make much difference to) is causing a bit of drag.

I know the lack of the rear spoiler on the SE helps efficiency but I can honestly say I struggle to get mine below 4 miles / kWh as long as its above 15 deg and dry.
I gave it a light thrashing the other day running wifey to a late appointment. 50 mile round trip, 600ft elevation change en route, mix of 60 and 70 mph roads into Inverness.
4.2 miles kWh when I parked up, better than our old 2014 leaf would do if memory serves.
I would say half my August miles were motorway speeds. Do 150 pure motorway miles at 70mph and see if you get a 4 in front of it. You'll be lucky to see better than 3.5.

I have noticed it a bit. I feel I drive more smoothly and with better anticipation than the ACC does, and it makes sense that that affects consumption. I tend to avoid the ACC because it feels a bit jerky, unless I'm in a situation where there's a definite advantage (like on the motorway).
Yeah, I've always found that I would have lifted off way before the ACC slows me down so rarely use it.🙂

Just on a tangent, how's your undertray? I still wonder if my undertray bulge (which the dealer didn't make much difference to) is causing a bit of drag.
Not too droopy, thanks for asking ;) You really need to get a bit of thin aluminium plate or such to flatten that pesky centre section, fiddling around with screw holes or whatever they did won't cut it. Either that or it needs a revised undertray.

That's not really something I can do for myself. If we had an agreed tried and tested fix with detailed instructions I might be able to persuade my local garage to do it. I'm still a bit worried that there's something above the undertray that's preventing it from going flat. My dealer said they had adjusted the undertray but I can't see that it's any different.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back