MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Terrible situation with potential owners scrabbling around under their new cars to check if essential work has been done…

Fine. This is not a guarantee that you will get a car with a modified breather and perfect undertray though. The dealer may just return your deposit and offer the car to the next person on the waiting list.

Placing a new order may increase your chances of getting a car with fewer faults but price has gone up.
Yeah, thought of that. I intend to check myself before signing any final paperwork for my trade in and the MG4, so I'd just walk away at that point and consider an alternative EV, which I've been browsing, in light of all the problems reported on here. Of course, no guarantee I won't get problems with said alternatives.

Yeah, thought of that. I intend to check myself before signing any final paperwork for my trade in and the MG4, so I'd just walk away at that point and consider an alternative EV, which I've been browsing, in light of all the problems reported on here. Of course, no guarantee I won't get problems with said alternatives.
Fair enough. Good to have a plan, I just wanted to point out that if your position is "Do X or I'll do Y" then you need to be prepared to "do Y if the other party does X".

I'm in a similar position to you in that I have a car on order. Until a car is declared available there seems little point in having detailed discussions with the dealer, but like you I intend to let dealer know that I'm aware of declared faults and expect these to be remedied before collection.

I'll make a judgement at the time but anticipate accepting a car even if there is a bulge to the under tray or a new breather has not been fitted, but make it clear that I will be prepared to reject the car inside 30 days if a problem manifests.

I am in the fortunate position of being a cash buyer with others cars in the household that I could use so have more options than others may have.

Interesting points. Of course you shouldn’t really have to be in this position but hey ho.
One thought is that if you reject before taking delivery and get your deposit back, the dealer will sell to the next customer.
If you take the car but be clear that faults must be clear, and then reject as you’re entitled to after 30 days, the car is now second hand. Yes the dealer will still sell on but may be less comfortable with a rejection and act in a more favourable way.

Fine. This is not a guarantee that you will get a car with a modified breather and perfect undertray though. The dealer may just return your deposit and offer the car to the next person on the waiting list.

Placing a new order may increase your chances of getting a car with fewer faults but price has gone up.
You are correct but why should a customer suck it up and do continual checks just because MG can't be arsed fixing the problem prior to handover.
I am sure as you said MG/dealer won't care but why as the customers, who are aware of these issues (fortunately because of this forum) just accept it
I was and I'm sure most potential purchasers are not that desperate to own an MG that they are just willing to turn a blind eye to it because it's a bit of a bargain.

I picked up my Trophy from Richmond MG in Portsmouth on Dec 30th. I was told they had fitted the modified breather prior to handover, and are doing it as a matter of course to all.
Time will tell I guess.
Let's hope you have an honest dealer then, unfortunately the pre fitted breather story has been proven to be a lie by a dealer already

I do feel that budget-end makes like MG can attract a certain demographic that is potentially more tolerant than those might be who are buying more up market cars.

Just a feeling and nothing to really support it other than a cross section of comments and experiences on this forum.

I think MG have a lot of really nice customers - far more than they deserve at the moment.

It would be lovely if MG worked hard on developing longer term customer relationships and clearly demonstrated how they put their customers first.

It used to be said that sales sell the car but service keep the customer - how that has changed!

Hi,

New to the forum, order a SE LR originally but ended up getting a SR. Picked up 29th Dec coming up to 100miles and now have the leak. Will get it booked in. The build date for the car is 10/12/22 so I’m assuming the date format is m/d as can’t see it being December build as that would of been a quick turnaround haha.

Hi,

New to the forum, order a SE LR originally but ended up getting a SR. Picked up 29th Dec coming up to 100miles and now have the leak. Will get it booked in. The build date for the car is 10/12/22 so I’m assuming the date format is m/d as can’t see it being December build as that would of been a quick turnaround haha.
Welcome. Did the supplying dealer tell you that the modification had been done for the oil leak?

You are correct but why should a customer suck it up and do continual checks just because MG can't be arsed fixing the problem prior to handover.
I am sure as you said MG/dealer won't care but why as the customers, who are aware of these issues (fortunately because of this forum) just accept it
I was and I'm sure most potential purchasers are not that desperate to own an MG that they are just willing to turn a blind eye to it because it's a bit of a bargain.
The customer shouldn't have to accept a sub-standard product, but sometime life isn't fair and what should happen doesn't.

I don't like it any more than you, but bottom line is if the dealer says the car is fit for use, even if it doesn't have a new breather fitted and perfectly flat under tray, you can't make them fit them. It is good to make yourself aware by visiting sites like this but at the end of the day your options are:
  • Accept the car as supplied, then perhaps use the fault resolution / rejection options that are open to you
  • Walk away
I wouldn't blame you for either action and as I've suggested above, MG are damaging their brand if they fail to satisfy customers. The problem is other options are more expensive and/or have long lead times and/or have their own issues.

You pay your money and you take your choice.

Welcome. Did the supplying dealer tell you that the modification had been done for the oil leak?
No hasn’t been done, just the same if it leaks then the breather will be changed. Not to bothered to be fair. I’ll phone tomorrow.

Poor again, 3 month old problem and still dragging on

The customer shouldn't have to accept a sub-standard product, but sometime life isn't fair and what should happen doesn't.

I don't like it any more than you, but bottom line is if the dealer says the car is fit for use, even if it doesn't have a new breather fitted and perfectly flat under tray, you can't make them fit them. It is good to make yourself aware by visiting sites like this but at the end of the day your options are:
  • Accept the car as supplied, then perhaps use the fault resolution / rejection options that are open to you
  • Walk away
I wouldn't blame you for either action and as I've suggested above, MG are damaging their brand if they fail to satisfy customers. The problem is other options are more expensive and/or have long lead times and/or have their own issues.

You pay your money and you take your choice.
It's not the fact it's not fit to use it's the fact it's such a simple cheap fix for a problem that is stilling dragging on way passed where it should have

No hasn’t been done, just the same if it leaks then the breather will be changed. Not to bothered to be fair. I’ll phone tomorrow.
I’m glad that you’re cool with it. I’m afraid if I was told that there is a modification but we are just seeing if the car leaks oil all over your drive before we fit it, I wouldn’t be so relaxed!

It's not the fact it's not fit to use it's the fact it's such a simple cheap fix for a problem that is stilling dragging on way passed where it should have
I'm not disagreeing with you, and if I was in charge of MG I would be more proactive. It might cost a little more in the short term but would build confidence, customer satisfaction and ultimately customer loyalty and stronger future sales.

The fact they haven't was the reason for my earlier musings about respective roles of the manufacturer and the dealer. It seems that some dealers at least are 'doing the right thing', for instance fitting the breather as a matter of course, while others are letting the cars into the wild without modification and only dealing with the problem when the customer complains.

All we can do is be knowledgeable and choose manufacturers and dealers that try harder to meet customer expectations over those that don't.

Agree with everything youve said I only hope that the dealers that are saying it's already fitted are being honest, one has been found out already. In his defence we dont know if he was informed by MG or just came up with it himself

I sent the spreadsheet of known issues to my dealer. He declared the only issues he is aware of are the oil leak and the locking issue. Below are his responses to each:

The oil leak I believe was on the first initial batch of MG4’s as they were overfilled slightly from factory which caused the oil to come out of the excess drain. This was rectified from the factory and should not be an issue anymore.

Regarding the car locking itself, it actually happened to myself but all it was, was the car hadn’t had it’s PDI. I haven’t heard of it happening to people after purchasing but as you have stated it seems like MG have released a software update so all should be taken care of.

I am due to speak to him again tomorrow…let’s see what happens.

I know this section relates to the oil leak issue, but I thought I should include the locking issue also.

The oil leak I believe was on the first initial batch of MG4’s as they were overfilled slightly from factory which caused the oil to come out of the excess drain. This was rectified from the factory and should not be an issue anymore.

Regarding the car locking itself, it actually happened to myself but all it was, was the car hadn’t had it’s PDI. I haven’t heard of it happening to people after purchasing but as you have stated it seems like MG have released a software update so all should be taken care of.

Total BS on both counts, it's actually laughable
Yes, I agree. I am due to collect the car next Saturday, but I am still undecided what to do. I would feel more comfortable/confident if the dealer was proactive rather than spouting BS!!

Yes, I agree. I am due to collect the car next Saturday, but I am still undecided what to do. I would feel more comfortable/confident if the dealer was proactive rather than spouting BS!!
Which dealer, if you don't mind my asking?

It's not even proactive, just be honest admit to the faults and say unfortunately our hands are tied by a poor MG policy of it has to leak first before we can fix it

Let’s be honest, the motor trade in general have never been that good at this sort of thing have they? Some are very good but most mediocre at best. It’s still run as a cottage industry in many areas. Perhaps MG have had to accept the poor standard of dealerships in the UK - who knows?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back