MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I'll be asking my dealer to swear on his child's life that the breather has been done. I'll then check.
I, for one, can't bring myself to knowingly drive a car with an oil leak around, dropping oil to catch out an unsuspecting motor cyclist.
In fact, I think the Department for Transport should stop MG from releasing oil drippers onto the roads.
A car dealer swearing on his/her child's life? That's not much of a guarantee, they'd do it in a heartbeat even if oil was spewing out and pooling around their feet whilst swearing it! You'll be taking the word of estate agents next... :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I just popped in to see if this nonsense had been resolved yet. apparently not, so our possible purchase can stay on the back boiler for a few more months. Good luck to all and a prosperous New Year!

I'll be asking my dealer to swear on his child's life that the breather has been done. I'll then check.
I, for one, can't bring myself to knowingly drive a car with an oil leak around, dropping oil to catch out an unsuspecting motor cyclist.
In fact, I think the Department for Transport should stop MG from releasing oil drippers onto the roads.
What if the dealer don't have a kid?

May have added them to a deal to get a sale! Can't have free mats but have my child now sign here!

Oil on the road is really hazardous for motor bikes, hopefully the amount leaking might not present a major problem.
I'd also like to know the long term prognosis on the reduction gearbox of little to no oil within.
If someone has a gravel drive/parking different places on a street and isn't on social media/forums they could be oblivious to the leak
Yes, unless owners are proactively contacted many will go unnoticed. Probable until the 1st service - maybe even after that!

What lots of dealers have millions of kids 😂
I think what happened was that the poster asked his or her sale's guy if he was a father. Proud sales dad said he was, and elaborated. I think it might be called, in wider society, person A converses with person B. Happens a lot in life. Not sure what life's like up telegraph poles though.

Last edited:
That's eerily specific information to have from your dealer unless you know them outside of buying a car
I found out earlier that a geezer who I'd never met before got a dog called Ralph. Hope you're okay with that :)

Last edited:
I think what happened was that the poster asked his or her sale's guy if he was a father. Proud sales dad said he was, and elaborated. I think it might be called, in wider society, person A converses with person B. Happens a lot in life.
Car sales man would say he had leprosy, if he found out you had it to get a sale 😂😂

Car sales man would say he had leprosy, if he found out you had it to get a sale 😂😂
Well, I've mentioned before, that there's not many people in life that one can totally and utterly trust these days, but a car salesman is certainly one of them.

Has anyone got to the bottom of why this oil issue has raised its head now? Are other countries experiencing this issue?
The car has been available and in use outside the UK for quite a while, so you would think that this sort of thing would have been discovered long before now?
They've got to the bottom of what the problem is. Unfortunately it's the head in the sand attitude that keeps it going. Until they decide to fix them all before they get to customers then it will keep occurring. I would imagine a re design is well underway in China but there will still be thousand's of gearbox's already made to original spec. Be interesting to see how long people go on reporting this issue. 6 months , a year , who knows?

He was chatting me up about my grand kids on my test drive and said he's got one the same age as the youngest. He may have been telling lies...

I’ve had my mg4 trophy long range since just before Christmas.

The dealer when asked said that our car will have been in a batch that had the breather.

A few hundred miles in and I’ve just nipped out. After parking up on the drive, I noticed quite a bit of oil on the pavement and the road in the direction that I drove off.

I just phoned the dealer and they said what others have heard - known problem.

It’s going in on Wednesday next week anyway for a noisy air con compressor and they said they’ll take pictures of the oil leak and send them off to MG (as others have said, this is clearly an MG warranty process, but for a known issue, it all seems a bit silly).

One would hope that dealers now have their own stock of new breather pipes, but apparently not.

So I’ll be at the dealer on Wednesday for one thing to be looked at knowing that I’ll be back to get that fixed, and likely back again for the breather.

All a bit disappointing - was hoping our trophy was the latest batch with the fix already (the thought being that it was the latest batch given that it doesn’t have a driver alertness bulge on the steering wheel).

Oh well.

The dealer when asked said that our car will have been in a batch that had the breather.

A few hundred miles in and I’ve just nipped out. After parking up on the drive, I noticed quite a bit of oil on the pavement and the road in the direction that I drove off.

It’s going in on Wednesday next week anyway for a noisy air con compressor and they said they’ll take pictures of the oil leak and send them off to MG (as others have said, this is clearly an MG warranty process, but for a known issue, it all seems a bit silly).

One would hope that dealers now have their own stock of new breather pipes, but apparently not.

So I’ll be at the dealer on Wednesday for one thing to be looked at knowing that I’ll be back to get that fixed, and likely back again for the breather.

All a bit disappointing - was hoping our trophy was the latest batch with the fix already (the thought being that it was the latest batch given that it doesn’t have a driver alertness bulge on the steering wheel).

Oh well.
Very disappointing and it’s something that really should be sorted before you get the car. Basic stuff.

Oh well.
Take a photo of your car undertray from rear if you can see oil leak drip or spray and photo of oil on your drive or where you park. Send to dealer as I have just done and ask them to order new breather in to save you a trip.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221230_123443_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221230_123443_Gallery.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot_20221230_134252_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221230_134252_Facebook.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 139

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%