MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Just to let you all know that I've spoken the MG's head of Aftersales, who assured me that he's been chasing China for answers on this pretty much every hour for the past few days. They have daily meetings with China, and they're currently waiting for a response from the gearbox manufacturer.

You won't help matters by spamming everyone in MG. It just increases the probability of them missing an important email in the flood of junk.
If they communicated with us then no need to email. Your statement re waiting for a response from the gearbox manufacturer for example, is new information, to me at least. I am still being told by my dealer that the solution is to put less oil in, not that they can road test it as they have been unable to start the car since 11/10/22 and are still waiting for a fix to that.

Just to let you all know that I've spoken the MG's head of Aftersales, who assured me that he's been chasing China for answers on this pretty much every hour for the past few days. They have daily meetings with China, and they're currently waiting for a response from the gearbox manufacturer.

You won't help matters by spamming everyone in MG. It just increases the probability of them missing an important email in the flood of junk.

I'm just saying that if everyone starts emailing random people who may-or-may-not be the right person to handle their enquiry, it's not likely to help get the issue solved any quicker.
Believe me it does get people to sit up and take notice. Customers simply should not have to put up with shoddy service

I'm just saying that if everyone starts emailing random people who may-or-may-not be the right person to handle their enquiry, it's not likely to help get the issue solved any quicker.
Are you saying that you are satisifed that this is being dealt with at the appropriate levels and with all due urgency?

If so, that is good enough for me. External escalation would be useful to raise the priority and bang heads together but if you are saying this has already happened, fair enough.

If they communicated with us then no need to email. Your statement re waiting for a response from the gearbox manufacturer for example, is new information, to me at least. I am still being told by my dealer that the solution is to put less oil in, not that they can road test it as they have been unable to start the car since 11/10/22 and are still waiting for a fix to that.
I've asked MG to issue a bulletin to dealers ASAP, even if they don't have the actual fix yet, but to confirm to the network that it's under investigation. The belief is still that the oil level is incorrect, but they're wanting confirmation of the correct level, as the quantity on the spec sheet doesn't seem to tally with reality.

I think the problem is that nothing is getting done quick, it's two weeks since the first post about an oil leak and we are no nearer getting to the bottom of it. Some Dealerships and people at MG are still claiming they are unaware, come on mate this is a brand new motor that you, the dealers must be counting on. I expect some issues with a new car but communication is a must and in a lot of cases it has been poor it's obvious people are going to get frustrated

Serious suggestion here @Miles Roberts CG , perhaps head of aftersales who you are communicating with would like to put in an appearance on here we‘d love to ask them some questions.
It would be great but people with that type of job generally don’t want to talk to the people that pay their wages!!

I think the problem is that nothing is getting done quick, it's two weeks since the first post about an oil leak and we are no nearer getting to the bottom of it. Some Dealerships and people at MG are still claiming they are unaware, come on mate this is a brand new motor that you, the dealers must be counting on. I expect some issues with a new car but communication is a must and in a lot of cases it has been poor it's obvious people are going to get frustrated
An official public statement would go an awfully long way to reassure people. There must be a relevant person at MG for this that could improve the communication.

Are you saying that you are satisifed that this is being dealt with at the appropriate levels and with all due urgency?

If so, that is good enough for me. External escalation would be useful to raise the priority and bang heads together but if you are saying this has already happened, fair enough.
Everyone at MG UK who needs to be working on this is currently working on this. They're chasing for answers hour-by-hour. I don't believe it can be escalated any higher.

What is needed with any issue with any vehicle is:
  1. Vehicles with potential faults to be taken to dealerships
  2. Dealer technicians investigate and send a report to MG
  3. MG suggest a fix
  4. Tech completes repair as advised
  5. Then the tech confirms back to MG whether the suggested fix has worked.
Otherwise, MG can't collate information, spot trends, confirm whether issues are ongoing or linked to just a certain VIN range.

Likewise, it's not helpful to suggest that every vehicle has the same issue (until such information suggests that is the case).
@Miles Roberts CG your expertise and contributions is appreciated and welcome. Let's not kid ourselves though, it is a mutually beneficial relationship with Chorley Group gaining a good reputation and increased sales as a result. That is fine because you win and the MG owner community win.

Your substantive point that owners with problems should follow a process rather than just bitch about things on an online forum is a good one, especially as much of the traffic is from people who don't yet own a car or have experienced any problems. However the Chorley group are one of the leading UK dealers. It would be interesting to know how many MG4s have been sold and how many have reported problems. I would have expected Chorley Group technicians will have seen some examples and had a chance to investigate already? Is that the case and if so, presumably we are now at stage 3 of your list and awaiting for MG to suggest a fix?

How long is reasonable to wait for MG to do this?

It is not necessary for every supplied vehicle to report an issue before a manufacturer should take action. Even a 10% failure rate so early in a vehicles's life suggests a manufacturing defect worthy of a recall and remedy action. If a significant number of cars are reporting problems, and a leading dealer would probably know by now the sort of proportion we are talking, then maybe the supply of new cars should be halted until issue is identified and resolved?

Sounds like a joke but telling everyone that it's a problem this leak.... it's a bad preparation, it's a fail in the pre-delivery mechanical work but not a problem with the car. What happens when you try to put more coffee in a full mug?

An official public statement would go an awfully long way to reassure people. There must be a relevant person at MG for this that could improve the communication.
If they make that statement the admit there is a problem and also liability,

It is not necessary for every supplied vehicle to report an issue before a manufacturer should take action. Even a 10% failure rate so early in a vehicles's life suggests a manufacturing defect worthy of a recall and remedy action. If a significant number of cars are reporting problems, and a leading dealer would probably know by now the sort of proportion we are talking, then maybe the supply of new cars should be halted until issue is identified and resolved?
There cannot be a recall until they know what the problem is and what the fix would be. It sounds as if we are very close to finding out.

What is needed with any issue with any vehicle is:
  1. Vehicles with potential faults to be taken to dealerships
  2. Dealer technicians investigate and send a report to MG
  3. MG suggest a fix
  4. Tech completes repair as advised
  5. Then the tech confirms back to MG whether the suggested fix has worked.
Otherwise, MG can't collate information, spot trends, confirm whether issues are ongoing or linked to just a certain VIN range.

Likewise, it's not helpful to suggest that every vehicle has the same issue (until such information suggests that is the case).
Spot on. Everyone’s an expert in what’s wrong with my car because someone posted it on the internet.

Everyone at MG UK who needs to be working on this is currently working on this. They're chasing for answers hour-by-hour. I don't believe it can be escalated any higher.
@Miles Roberts CG how messy are Rejections for dealers vs the importer? Do you get credited for a rejected car that you’re stuck with or does its cost sit with the dealership until it’s repaired and re-sold?

There cannot be a recall until they know what the problem is and what the fix would be. It sounds as if we are very close to finding out.
No but if there is a problem they can stop selling any more cars until they find out what the issue is. It is funny how much quicker resolutions come when new sales are impacted.

@Miles Roberts CG how messy are Rejections for dealers vs the importer? Do you get credited for a rejected car that you’re stuck with or does its cost sit with the dealership until it’s repaired and re-sold?
Believe it or not, I'm not sure. I've not had to deal with a new vehicle rejection in the 7.5 years I've been working for a franchised dealership.

Well obviously there is a problem!
You don't say!
we know there is a problem but there have been examples of dealerships and staff at MG saying they aren't aware.
The point I was making is if MG issued a public statement the motor press would pick up on it and it would be properly put out in the public domain, potentially having a major impact on any positive pr they have gained

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back