MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

What is needed with any issue with any vehicle is:
  1. Vehicles with potential faults to be taken to dealerships
  2. Dealer technicians investigate and send a report to MG
  3. MG suggest a fix
  4. Tech completes repair as advised
  5. Then the tech confirms back to MG whether the suggested fix has worked.
Otherwise, MG can't collate information, spot trends, confirm whether issues are ongoing or linked to just a certain VIN range.

Likewise, it's not helpful to suggest that every vehicle has the same issue (until such information suggests that is the case).
With respect Miles, I think the trend has been spotted, MG have said as much in some replies to some users. What has not yet been spotted is the fix, or any meaningful communication from MG to the drivers who have been doing their beta testing for them. MG customer care denied they knew of any problem when I spoke to them. This is false.

I respect your personal involvement in this forum and I am not in any way questioning your knowledge or integrity but I feel strongly that MG should be communicating better with their owners on this.

With respect Miles, I think the trend has been spotted, MG have said as much in some replies to some users. What has not yet been spotted is the fix, or any meaningful communication from MG to the drivers who have been doing their beta testing for them. MG customer care denied they knew of any problem when I spoke to them. This is false.

I respect your personal involvement in this forum and I am not in any way questioning your knowledge or integrity but I feel strongly that MG should be communicating better with their owners on this.
I agree. The communication from MG Technical dept to the Customer Care team hasn't been good enough.

As yet, there have been no technical bulletins to the dealers from MG regarding this issue. So not all dealers will be aware of the issue unless a customer brings in a vehicle.

I agree. The communication from MG Technical dept to the Customer Care team hasn't been good enough.

As yet, there have been no technical bulletins to the dealers from MG regarding this issue. So not all dealers will be aware of the issue unless a customer brings in a vehicle.
This speaks to my point. With the number of leaks being reported (my dealer received 4 cars in initial allocation and they all leak oil) and the number of owners just on this forum with the problem, why have MG not yet put out a communication to all dealers and better yet a communication to new owners? I park on a gravel drive. If I had not joined this forum I would be blissfully unaware as I would not even have seen the oil. There must surely be many drivers out there unaware they have an issue.

Again, I must clarify that my frustrations are not directed towards you personally.

That's potentially more worrying Miles
A read through this thread would say that many dealers have said they've been told to drain and refill as a potential fix, but surely that should have come as a bulletin then.
Not just a 'hey why don't you try this' from someone to the dealers.
Which if no bulletin has been released that would seem has been the case.
I truly hope we get a fix very quickly and we can start to enjoy the MG4.
I love the car, which for some is possibly their biggest purchase in their lives.
Whilst £26k isn't a lot for an EV, it's still a massive amount of money.
I've had Jaguars, Subaru's, Porsche's, Audi SQ5 etc in the past.
None of which were over 26k.
With the current climate, we are all tugging at our wallets to try cutback etc.
Which is why many of us have chosen an EV to offset the initial outlay against the fuel savings.
Having £26k+ tied up in a faulty vehicle is not a great situation for anyone though and MG need to acknowledge this with its customers/buyers.

I don’t think MG are helping themselves as this is a major problem to those that have leaking cars and emails from them not even acknowledging there is an issue doesn’t fill me with hope. A email saying their aware of the problem and a guarantee it will be rectified or full refunds/replacements given would be more helpful.

Have a good experience and you'll tell 1 or 2 people; have a bad experience and you'll tell 10 people.

Otherwise known as - bad news travels a lot faster than good news. MG should bear that in mind before their brand reputation gets hammered.

They have a winner with the MG4 - it'd be a shame if this got destroyed because of poor
communication.

Miles, what is the best way we can help escalate this to improve communication?

I agree completely the initial press response to the car has been fantastic and the drive handling of the car is great - I’m just flabbergasted that MG appear to be willing to flush all that down the toilet by not been more proactive on this.

If my experience is anything to go by most dealers are unwilling to offer loan/courtesy cars whilst MG drag their heels on this simply expecting us to manage with out the vehicle we paid them £32k for.

Just had an email from my supplying dealer after sales guy.
His comms have been great this week and last.
I said hopefully for a quick fix on my last reply to him.
He's come back with this, this morning.

Screenshot_20221018_110427.jpg

Member on another forum just posted the below update.

Oil Leak Update (It’s not good)

So following half a day on a ramp, my leaky, grumbly MG 4 SE SR has been admitted for further investigation and possible surgery.

My dealer’s been really excellent and loaned me an MG 5.

They could only drain out .5 of a litre of oil from the transmission as MG UK guided them to do, not the 0.9 that should be in there.

And that came out a dark, mucky grey. I’ve seen it. It doesn’t look good to me. Whatever colour it should be, one would expect it to be translucent. This wasn’t.
Something’s contaminated it so jury’s out until MG tells them what to do.

The grumble seems to be coming from the front in fact and they’re looking at wheel bearings as possible cause, but one thing at a time.

Take note leaky 4 drivers who are being told it’s just an overfill.

For anyone who would like to contact someone important at MG the email format appears to be... [email protected].

If you google 'MG Motor UK' Linkedin there are a whole bunch of important people who you can email. You don't even have to have a Linkedin log in to get names.

Here is a link to get you started... david-allison-a4438a39

For anyone who would like to contact someone important at MG the email format appears to be... [email protected].

If you google 'MG Motor UK' Linkedin there are a whole bunch of important people who you can email. You don't even have to have a Linkedin log in to get names.
I’m sure at least one guys there is going to have a full inbox this morning after the FB post

Here is a link to get you started... david-allison-a4438a39
”Feedback” to be emailed imminently 😬

Just to let you all know that I've spoken the MG's head of Aftersales, who assured me that he's been chasing China for answers on this pretty much every hour for the past few days. They have daily meetings with China, and they're currently waiting for a response from the gearbox manufacturer.

You won't help matters by spamming everyone in MG. It just increases the probability of them missing an important email in the flood of junk.

Just to let you all know that I've spoken the MG's head of Aftersales, who assured me that he's been chasing China for answers on this pretty much every hour for the past few days. They have daily meetings with China, and they're currently waiting for a response from the gearbox manufacturer.

You won't help matters by spamming everyone in MG. It just increases the probability of them missing an important email in the flood of junk.
Appreciated your time and how open you are on here but it's not really a "Flood of junk" is it, it's people who are concerned about their investment in a car currently experiencing quite a few faults, customers are not getting a lot of info back and in some cases not getting a courtesy car whilst theirs are off the road.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back