MG4 Regeneration Setting.

Apparent lack of Adaptive Regen is one mark down on the Megane E-tech that we are considering as an alternative. This is offset against the useful paddles they have to switch between the settings (on the SE LR we have on order it'll be a ballache changing through the settings, so I anticipate leaving adaptive on)

FYI the MG4 will always revert to Regen 3 (High) when the car goes to READY mode. You'll always have to select Adaptive if you want it.

I tend to use Regen 3 but have turned it down to 2 or 1 for longer motorway trips.

I went on a 130 mile round trip to Wales yesterday on a lot of B roads and start stopping through villages on the route and i was pleasantly surprised to see that the entire journey regenerated a total of 11kW. I am guessing that it might be this high because there are quite a few hills in Wales 🤣

The car was a joy to drive through the winding roads i am falling in love with the car more each day 😁

Thanks for this thread.

I was going to post one asking why anyone would not want strong regen - on the basis that it means you mostly only need to use one pedal and you're putting the max back into the battery - so a win/win. I always leave it on strong for this reason and can't really see a use case for anything else. But I now see that some of you have other preferences.

i am falling in love with the car more each day 😁

I'm with you on that!

I use adaptive regen sometimes when I have passengers on board, or if I’m on the motorway and it’s free flowing as it means a smoother drive.
I also sometimes turn the regen to 1, and pedal in sport mode, just so the brakes see some use and don’t glaze over.

I use adaptive regen sometimes when I have passengers on board, or if I’m on the motorway and it’s free flowing as it means a smoother drive.
I also sometimes turn the regen to 1, and pedal in sport mode, just so the brakes see some use and don’t glaze over.
thanks. That's a useful perspective. I've only done 42 miles in mine so far, so still working all this out.

Always high regen for me.

A mental shift is to realise that if you're going downhill, your pedal's down to some extent, and the power meter reads zero, you are coasting. It's just that fully releasing the accelerator no longer means coasting as it did in your ICE.

For a while at the start, I'd told my wife about regen, and she'd revel in seeing the negative power reading, but say "the only problem is, it slows down more than I want it to". No, use the pedal to go at the speed you want to be going. If that speed is slower than gravity would give you, regen will use the spare acceleration-due-to-gravity to charge your battery.

I collected my car on 31/1/23 and so far it has been fine although I am still learning about its capabilities.
When I have driven it I have regeneration on 3 which is the highest setting. But my wife prefers it on the lowest setting.
So I was just wondering what the rest of you set regeneration at.
I've been told the acceleration is faster when regen is off, I will be trying it tomorrow.

Regen can be turned OFF in the X-Power?

Anyway - regen has no affect on acceleration, as it's .. well .. not in action when accelerating.

I must admit I have been on 3 (the delivery setting). since getting my car ruptured weeks ago. I’ve just about got it sussed as to when to come off the accelerator at roundabouts and the like and I can pretty much drive out of town without the brakes. But must try the other settings, given the post threads.
Nobody has mentioned 2. Is this a useless no man’s land setting?

I must admit I have been on 3 (the delivery setting). since getting my car ruptured weeks ago. I’ve just about got it sussed as to when to come off the accelerator at roundabouts and the like and I can pretty much drive out of town without the brakes. But must try the other settings, given the post threads.
Nobody has mentioned 2. Is this a useless no man’s land setting?
What was involved in rupturing the car.😂

Having now got used to regen level 3, I like it. Hardly having to use the brake pedal. But I do wonder if it might be slightly dangerous when people are behind me, as presumably the brake light doesn't come on when I lift my foot off the accelerator. Anybody else concerned about that?

It does come on ... once retardation rate (i.e. how much you're slowing down) exceeds a certain value then (by law) the brake lights must come on. I'm not sure of the exact regen % this happens at, but it's around 7-10%.

I followed a Leaf along a twisty-turny road one afternoon and his brake lights kept coming on. At first I thought, surely he isn't braking to take these turns, but then it dawned on me his regen was bringing the lights on whenever he took his foot off the accelerator.

If you get in your head that regen control is as precise as clutch biting point then you can kind of get used to one pedal driving. You just don't get that burning smell when you get things wrong :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back