MG4 Restricted speed - weird

The answer to both questions are only a few posts back.
Nah. You said YESTERDAY

6.41pm “Well…switched LKA and pilot off, will have to wait until morning to see if stays off.”

So i was asking what your follow up experience was

Good to hear you got a result!

Mines been ok but I’ve been driving it carefully and balance charging. I did however need to rush yesterday. Every time I put my foot down. 100% power drops like a stone down to 40% power when the speed was about 80mph. It just wouldn’t go more. Soc was about 40% too

Mines been ok but I’ve been driving it carefully and balance charging. I did however need to rush yesterday. Every time I put my foot down. 100% power drops like a stone down to 40% power when the speed was about 80mph. It just wouldn’t go more. Soc was about 40% too

This is where you need to take videos.
My dealer refused to take the car over 70mph, ‘luckily’ mine displayed the issues below that.
But the car is sold to you as being able to do 100mph and, clearly, 80mph max is a fault.
Save any arguments with your dealer being unwilling to exceed 70mph, video it!

Like I say- crap. The one I tried didn't punch as hard as my 4 either.
My 5 is definitely not crap.
Everything is bolted where it should be and all the oil stays inside it, it doesn’t lock me in or try to steer for me. Power and performance is perfectly fine, although the supplied tyres are rather horrible but that’s easily fixable.

My 5 is definitely not crap.
Everything is bolted where it should be and all the oil stays inside it, it doesn’t lock me in or try to steer for me. Power and performance is perfectly fine, although the supplied tyres are rather horrible but that’s easily fixable.

The tyres on the loan 5 I had were fine in braking and lateral grip, just acceleration grip is terrible.
Sitting beside a 5 last night at a roundabout I had a little chuckle as we both went for a gap and I heard wheelspin beside me.
Not convinced it’s all tyres, I think the soft suspension and high ride height is leading to too much weight transfer to the rear under acceleration.
Front wheel drive certainly isn’t at fault, as neither of my Leafs suffered wheelspin like the 5 does.

Last edited:
Everything is bolted where it should be and all the oil stays inside it, it doesn’t lock me in or try to steer for me.
Ok, I'll give you that.
I found the 5 to be a reliable, predictable, homely girl. Short on thrills and a bit stodgy but will have your dinner on the table when you get home.
The 4 is unpredictable and full of surprises, and you'll likely find her in bed with your best friend. But she's such a pleasurable thing to ride (in)
I just can't give her up !! :love:

Ok, I'll give you that.
I found the 5 to be a reliable, predictable, homely girl. Short on thrills and a bit stodgy but will have your dinner on the table when you get home.
The 4 is unpredictable and full of surprises, and you'll likely find her in bed with your best friend. But she's such a pleasurable thing to ride (in)
I just can't give her up !! :love:
Oh,surely there's a couple of dodgy assumptions in there somewhere 🤔

Can I ask, do you have the Standard Range or Long Range model?

Well, it’s doing it again….!
On bypass on way home, battery at 50%.
Traffic cleared, accelerated to just north of 80mph, the power meter tumbled down to 58% and it stopped accelerating.
Got it on video, luckily had a passenger.
Hopefully it will start doing it at lower speeds again as the dealer refusing to go over 70mph won’t replicate the issue right now.

Well, it’s doing it again….!
On bypass on way home, battery at 50%.
Traffic cleared, accelerated to just north of 80mph, the power meter tumbled down to 58% and it stopped accelerating.
Got it on video, luckily had a passenger.
Hopefully it will start doing it at lower speeds again as the dealer refusing to go over 70mph won’t replicate the issue right now.
What you getting instead? I know a man that knows a man

Well, after 2 months and 2200 miles my SE standard finally hit me with a restricted power deal today.
It was after only 1 mile of admittedly enthusiastic driving up a pretty steep b road that climbs into the hills behind where I live.
There was still over a mile of climb ahead but it wouldn't output more than 40 % with the throttle pressed to the floor until I got on to the flat at the top, normal power was restored soon after.
Battery was at 30 % so not ideal for demanding high current from the system but still surprised me.

There were no warning lights, cooling fan did not run and when I got home I pointed my infra red thermometer at the motor and tranny which were sitting at 41 degrees and 28 degrees.

Must try it another time with 80% or so to see if that makes any difference.

Well, after 2 months and 2200 miles my SE standard finally hit me with a restricted power deal today.
It was after only 1 mile of admittedly enthusiastic driving up a pretty steep b road that climbs into the hills behind where I live.
There was still over a mile of climb ahead but it wouldn't output more than 40 % with the throttle pressed to the floor until I got on to the flat at the top, normal power was restored soon after.
Battery was at 30 % so not ideal for demanding high current from the system but still surprised me.

There were no warning lights, cooling fan did not run and when I got home I pointed my infra red thermometer at the motor and tranny which were sitting at 41 degrees and 28 degrees.

Must try it another time with 80% or so to see if that makes any difference.

What speed did this equate to, out of interest.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back