MG4 Restricted speed - weird

What speed did this equate to, out of interest.
60 to 70 through the first mile of twisties before the restriction fairies limited me to 50 for the last mile and a bit I think.
Really odd that it cleared almost as soon as I was back on the flat, didn't seem like enough time for anything to cool down.
The car has a tilt sensor I think, Possibly part of the anti- theft system, noticed the parking brake needs to be manually released if the car is on a steep slope.
Maybe has nothing to do with it though, could just be based on the amps you're trying to pull.

Well, after 2 months and 2200 miles my SE standard finally hit me with a restricted power deal today.
It was after only 1 mile of admittedly enthusiastic driving up a pretty steep b road that climbs into the hills behind where I live.
There was still over a mile of climb ahead but it wouldn't output more than 40 % with the throttle pressed to the floor until I got on to the flat at the top, normal power was restored soon after.
Battery was at 30 % so not ideal for demanding high current from the system but still surprised me.

There were no warning lights, cooling fan did not run and when I got home I pointed my infra red thermometer at the motor and tranny which were sitting at 41 degrees and 28 degrees.

Must try it another time with 80% or so to see if that makes any difference.
I wonder if it is a faulty sensor issue that triggers intermittently? Hard to know, can the OBD port yield any sensor data or codes?

Funnily enough the scenario under which I most often get the restricted speed/reduced power is accelerating hard up a hill.
Fairly steep entry onto a bypass on the way home.
Lower the battery, worse the issue.
The dealer has managed to recreate the problem on flatter surfaces though.

Yep, maybe the ECU uses data from the tilt sensor, throttle position and current draw to come to a 'nanny says enough for now' decision ?
Bjorn Nyland found the same thing when he took a 4 up a steep hill in Thailand , don't think any other EV tested there did similar.
In my case there was no hint of overheating, outside temp was 6 degrees, motor temp was low and the battery coolant was ambient with the pump not even running, don't think the battery coolant pump has ever run TBH.
Motor / inverter coolant was 37 degrees at the tank when I got home, fan has never run in my car to date.
Seems to me it's a designed in feature, spoiled half of my fun on the hill climb though :cautious:

60 to 70 through the first mile of twisties before the restriction fairies limited me to 50 for the last mile and a bit I think.
Really odd that it cleared almost as soon as I was back on the flat, didn't seem like enough time for anything to cool down.
The car has a tilt sensor I think, Possibly part of the anti- theft system, noticed the parking brake needs to be manually released if the car is on a steep slope.
Maybe has nothing to do with it though, could just be based on the amps you're trying to pull.
From P185 of the MG4 Manual:
Note: It is recommended to choose Sport Mode when driving on special road conditions such as mountain roads.

Basically it does not like hills in normal mode

The terrain should make no difference to a car, I'll maybe say eco if it's particularly steep and lengthy but are we really saying to go up any length of steep hill it will struggle in any mode but sport, that's a joke.

Imagine this as a story for all the EV sceptics they struggle with hills, they would have a field day

From P185 of the MG4 Manual:
Note: It is recommended to choose Sport Mode when driving on special road conditions such as mountain roads.

Basically it does not like hills in normal mode
I don’t interpret that as hills - others might. Mountain roads don’t have to be hills. They are typically hilly true - but I interpret mountain roads as twisty with many bends - where sport mode would be more fun.

Please don’t get me wrong, but from your posts you seem to have had such a bad time with the car, and you don’t seem to be the most tolerant, so why have you still got it?
You’ve suggested that you were offered a replacement - then it seems MG wanted a chance to replace the box? Well they have had their chance apparently, and it’s not fixed it. You’ve been more than fair with them.
You clearly hate it - even to the point where you couldn’t be bothered to even ask what had been done to it, so others might possibly benefit from the experiences. You also hate the MG5 which many would disagree with I’m sure.
It’s surely time to say goodbye to MG to move on?

Please don’t get me wrong, but from your posts you seem to have had such a bad time with the car, and you don’t seem to be the most tolerant, so why have you still got it?
You’ve suggested that you were offered a replacement - then it seems MG wanted a chance to replace the box? Well they have had their chance apparently, and it’s not fixed it. You’ve been more than fair with them.
You clearly hate it - even to the point where you couldn’t be bothered to even ask what had been done to it, so others might possibly benefit from the experiences. You also hate the MG5 which many would disagree with I’m sure.
I'm waiting patiently

I'm waiting patiently
There's a certain French manufacturer you know... 🤣

Didn't you once say you never put the car in sport? (I might have you mixed up with someone else there). I'm not saying that you should have to but it would be helpful for others to know if this makes a difference.

That’s the plan.
Email sent to the dealer on Friday saying it’s happening again, on video, and they’ve had their chance to repair.
Not even remotely interested in a replacement car, even if it doesn’t have this specific problem it will have one of the other common issues.
They have until mid-week to suggest a refund, after that my formal letter of rejection will be going in asking for a refund (perfectly willing to get a solicitor involved as well if need be)

PS I don’t know why you’ve mentioned my hatred of the 5 as though it’s unreasonable.
It’s not a car I’m even remotely interested in driving or paying for, yet I’ve had to for at least 9 weeks, so why should I be complimentary about it?

That’s the plan.
Email sent to the dealer on Friday saying it’s happening again, on video, and they’ve had their chance to repair.
Not even remotely interested in a replacement car, even if it doesn’t have this specific problem it will have one of the other common issues.
They have until mid-week to suggest a refund, after that my formal letter of rejection will be going in asking for a refund (perfectly willing to get a solicitor involved as well if need be)

PS I don’t know why you’ve mentioned my hatred of the 5 as though it’s unreasonable.
It’s not a car I’m even remotely interested in driving or paying for, yet I’ve had to for at least 9 weeks, so why should I be complimentary about it?
I wish you luck. I would not be waiting for them to ‘suggest’ a refund though.
I mentioned the MG5 because I believe that even if you’re not that enamoured with it, you should always try to understand that it is an MG forum, where there are many MG5 owners and it’s always nice to temper your comments a little (this doesn’t mean necessarily being complimentary) if you can, out of respect and understanding for their views. Most members on here will try to help with issues if they can.
Just my views of course - nothing stopping you from saying how you feel.

I wish you luck. I would not be waiting for them to ‘suggest’ a refund though.
I mentioned the MG5 because I believe that even if you’re not that enamoured with it, you should always try to understand that it is an MG forum, where there are many MG5 owners and it’s always nice to temper your comments a little (this doesn’t mean necessarily being complimentary) if you can, out of respect and understanding for their views. Most members on here will try to help with issues if they can.
Just my views of course - nothing stopping you from saying how you feel.

If you actually read what I said about the 5, I gave some positives for it over the 4 and have said it’s hard to believe the same manufacturer can get one car so right and another so wrong.
It handled my style of driving without complaint for 9 weeks, is very efficient and remembers settings between drives.
My BIL taxi 5 has also done 40000 faultless miles in 10 months.
Imagine a 4 doing that….just imagine….

There's a certain French manufacturer you know... 🤣

That Ami is such a fine car...sigh

Citroen is a possibility, some great deals on the e-C4 going around.
Well under £400 a month for great spec (head up display, leather etc)
Nice looking outside and in.
Only 134bhp and 9 seconds to 60mph though, that’s poor and I think I’d get tired of that in hours/days.

If you actually read what I said about the 5, I gave some positives for it over the 4 and have said it’s hard to believe the same manufacturer can get one car so right and another so wrong.
It handled my style of driving without complaint for 9 weeks, is very efficient and remembers settings between drives.
My BIL taxi 5 has also done 40000 faultless miles in 10 months.
Imagine a 4 doing that….just imagine….
Such a shame that you didn’t get to experience the MG4 as it should be. It does drive very well.

Such a shame that you didn’t get to experience the MG4 as it should be. It does drive very well.

You speak as though I’ve never driven one.😆
I agree that outside the problems with restricted speed, it drives just fine.
If I never put my foot down and just trundled around town I’d maybe never know and keep it.
This makes me think there are many owners out there who have this problem ‘lying in wait’

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back