MG4 Restricted speed - weird

Update
MG insisting they get the opportunity to replace the traction motor before rejection.
Happy enough to let them do this, as I’m not even remotely convinced it will fix the issue.
So I’ll let them hang themselves with their own rope.
As of Thursday it was allegedly getting done this week.
If its any consolation, I was the 1st ever owner of the VW Tiguan EA189 (aka diesal gate) 170bhp engine in the UK back in 2008 (which was more than the MG4!). The car in the 1st year was an absolute nightmare with sensors / EGR valves etc..., and then they did something to the car (MMmmm I wonder what?), and nearly 15 years later (170,000 miles), the car has never missed a beat (well only once when the earth strap corroded somewhere on the underside, but the AA chap fixed it with an old battery cable to a new earthing point, a good many years ago!) - sadly (or maybe good news), that since september when i got the MG4, it hasn't moved off the drive, but I will still keep it for longer journies, as its not worth much according to WBAC, but still in very good order - so just hang in there!

If its any consolation, I was the 1st ever owner of the VW Tiguan EA189 (aka diesal gate) 170bhp engine in the UK back in 2008 (which was more than the MG4!). The car in the 1st year was an absolute nightmare with sensors / EGR valves etc..., and then they did something to the car (MMmmm I wonder what?), and nearly 15 years later (170,000 miles), the car has never missed a beat (well only once when the earth strap corroded somewhere on the underside, but the AA chap fixed it with an old battery cable to a new earthing point, a good many years ago!) - sadly (or maybe good news), that since september when i got the MG4, it hasn't moved off the drive, but I will still keep it for longer journies, as its not worth much according to WBAC, but still in very good order - so just hang in there!
And this explains the forum username now

UPDATE
The car is allegedly fixed and I’m getting it back this afternoon.
MG have offered me a month’s PCP back as a goodwill gesture, which I’ve accepted on the understanding my statutory rights aren’t affected etc
Naturally I’ve warned them any repeat of the issue will have be reigning down on them with great vengeance.
(Fingers crossed it does it again soon…)

Now hoping lane assist still stays off on my car.

UPDATE
The car is allegedly fixed and I’m getting it back this afternoon.
MG have offered me a month’s PCP back as a goodwill gesture, which I’ve accepted on the understanding my statutory rights aren’t affected etc
Naturally I’ve warned them any repeat of the issue will have be reigning down on them with great vengeance.
(Fingers crossed it does it again soon…)

Now hoping lane assist still stays off on my car.
Glad they gave you something, let's hope it is truly fixed.

Make sure you test it thoroughly with your normal "enthusiastic" driving style - you'll be doing everyone a service who might get this problem in the future.

Glad they gave you something, let's hope it is truly fixed.

Make sure you test it thoroughly with your normal "enthusiastic" driving style - you'll be doing everyone a service who might get this problem in the future.

Oh I will
God forbid I break it, that would be AWFUL

Drive it like your rental car. ;-)

I'm really curious if your LKA will stay off.

No complaints from the 5 about being thrashed every day.
Praying the LKA stays off too, I hate LKA in any car and changing settings for my 3.5 mile commute will just become so depressing.

Well…switched LKA and pilot off, will have to wait until morning to see if stays off.

But, that drive home was enlightening.
I’ve never been impressed with the performance of my 4, getting into any loan 5 they gave me felt so much faster.
Within yards of driving the ‘repaired’ 4 it’s quicker than it’s ever been.
So lively, positively fast.
Maybe MG were right to change the traction motor, maybe it was cuffed from new.

Well…switched LKA and pilot off, will have to wait until morning to see if stays off.

But, that drive home was enlightening.
I’ve never been impressed with the performance of my 4, getting into any loan 5 they gave me felt so much faster.
Within yards of driving the ‘repaired’ 4 it’s quicker than it’s ever been.
So lively, positively fast.
Maybe MG were right to change the traction motor, maybe it was cuffed from new.
Glad things are looking positive. My SR standard is really punchy, rockets between 30 and 70 especially. But it does come off the boil when SOC is below 30 % or so, so don't worry about that.

The 5 I tried felt crap in comparison so clearly your 4 was poorly :sick:

Glad things are looking positive. My SR standard is really punchy, rockets between 30 and 70 especially. But it does come off the boil when SOC is below 30 % or so, so don't worry about that.

The 5 I tried felt crap in comparison so clearly your 4 was poorly :sick:

The 5 shouldn’t feel crap.
It’s only around 10bhp short of the 4, but makes up for that by being 105kgs lighter.
My only real performance complaint about the 5 is excessive wheelspin.
Combination of FWD weight transfer and crap tyres.

Well, LKA doesn’t stay off anymore.
That’s a pain.
It didn’t intrude too much on my way to work though.
I’ll just have to live with it, I suppose switching it off is no worse then having to press the telematics ‘accept/decline’ button on the Leaf every time.
It’s the wife that’s the worry.
A she won’t switch it off
B first time it pulls the steering on her will be the last time she drives the car

Well, LKA doesn’t stay off anymore.
That’s a pain.
It didn’t intrude too much on my way to work though.
I’ll just have to live with it, I suppose switching it off is no worse then having to press the telematics ‘accept/decline’ button on the Leaf every time.
It’s the wife that’s the worry.
A she won’t switch it off
B first time it pulls the steering on her will be the last time she drives the car
We still have to disable LKA (and the amazingly inefficient traffic sign recognition function) every time we drive the car – it's become the on-start ritual. I also tend to disable the Auto Light management function, which doesn't work desperately well.

But on a recent drive back from Aix-les-Bains, we were hitting Very High Speeds effortlessly as we accelerated round complicated clots of commercial vehicles. And that was in Normal mode – the MG4's mid-range acceleration is truly amazing. It has to be, in France/Germany, of course, because giant Audi/BMW/Merc SUVs have a very unpleasant habit of looming up in your rear mirror (even when you're overtaking two streams of traffic in the fast lane) and lurking 3 metres off your bumper. So you can give them a rather satisfying surprise by suddenly disappearing into the distance... What makes such acceleration especially satisfying is that as you slow down to return to your standard cruising speed (we tend to cruise at fairly moderate speeds), you get lots of regen, too – Regen, Baby!

But we've not bothered with Sports mode, ever. What's the point? The car drives responsively enough in Normal mode...

What we have observed is that leaving the regen at "3" makes the ride very slightly more "frictive" – changing to "A" seems to loosen things up, so the whole driving experience is smoother.

I would really like to know why it does on some cars, even though they had their updates done.
It would be useful to know.
The MG ZS for example would have variations of functions for the same model cars - charging while unlocked for example, some did and some didn’t. That came down to a module being selected or deselected during software updates.
I would suggest this LKA will be something similar. With access to this area of the software I’m sure that it could be modified - but we will struggle to get that at the moment anyway.

@bowfer glad to hear you are sorted I had mine back for 6 weeks now with same issues you had and touch wood it has been spot on but I didn’t get any months pcp payment back I will ask this a now they had my car total 12 weeks from 14 ownership I hope it’s all resolved for you

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back