• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 Restricted speed - weird

Just to add a little more info, had this happened to me today between 60-80mph, with around 80-90% battery, power just disappeared, very frustrating. Guessing I should report it to the dealer before my 30 days is up, just in case. Aside from this, really enjoy the car

I really think this should be solvable with a software tweak, it seems to come on so quickly and seemingly at any battery volts, I'm really leaning towards an over zealous reaction to a motor field windings temp spike.
Although I've experienced it, it doesn't bother me as it's so infrequent and fleeting.
We'll have to see what it's like in the summer of course.

It would make sense for the car to protect the battery at low states of charge or cold conditions. However, not unreasonable to expect a way to turn this behaviour off for those that want to mash the pedal until the bitter end.
Just what we need. Yet another hard to find, through multiple screens, configuration option.

With ODB2 readout I've recorded 100% motor output at 130.012kW for 20seconds reaching 99mph with no loss of power.

Which is interesting considering the official rating of the motor for the MG4 SE SR is 125kW peak.

Edit:

SoC 49% at time of test
Which App did you use to read from ODB2 ?

It would make sense for the car to protect the battery at low states of charge or cold conditions. However, not unreasonable to expect a way to turn this behaviour off for those that want to mash the pedal until the bitter end.
I would say its not reasonable to endanger the driver by cutting acceleration or top speed with absolutely no warning. I fully agree that when the battery gets to 10% it should power save, and the car does this, you even get a warning about the state of charge and lose most of the power but all EV's do this. But when its random with no warning, i would say this is a major fault that must be fixed by MG.

Being restricted to anywhere from 63mph to 74mph..…”mashing the pedal to the bitter end”…
Unbelievable

Being restricted to anywhere from 63mph to 74mph..…”mashing the pedal to the bitter end”…
Unbelievable
If you notice, I agree with Michael1982's comment above - this shouldn't happen. I was just saying that protecting the battery from low states of charge is reasonable - but it should warn you and it shouldn't happen until a low charge rate (e.g. 10%). Then you should have the choice to ignore it.

I think that's a display bug with the "Snow". In your steering wheel display it says Sport but on the central display Snow. Same here.

I also had the restricted power problem when it was cold and < 40 % SoC. With cold and 100 % SoC the car worked fine (holding 102 mph with ease and accelerating like it should).
My MG-Guy told me there is an update for some controller unit (BMS???) that could help with the power-problem. Will update some time soon ... + I will also get the R16 software, which improves iSmart. I will keep you updated.
I had the BMS update back in December for this exact issue since then the car has been fine I was again the first to have this update along with the lock inside problem.

I had the BMS update back in December for this exact issue since then the car has been fine I was again the first to have this update along with the lock inside problem.
Are you referring to the 'snow' display issue or the restricted power issue? Would be fantastic if it's the latter

Are you referring to the 'snow' display issue or the restricted power issue? Would be fantastic if it's the latter
The restricted power issue mine wouldn’t accelerate with pedal fully down went up increments of 1 wouldn’t go above 45mph.it went in garage for 11 weeks and was told it required a BMS update/reflash my car had 2 error codes what they were I don’t know as the garage wouldn’t tell me.I have had the car back 3 months to no issues since they did what they said reflash etc hopefully it doesn’t happen again or it will be rejected

The restricted power issue mine wouldn’t accelerate with pedal fully down went up increments of 1 wouldn’t go above 45mph.it went in garage for 11 weeks and was told it required a BMS update/reflash my car had 2 error codes what they were I don’t know as the garage wouldn’t tell me.I have had the car back 3 months to no issues since they did what they said reflash etc hopefully it doesn’t happen again or it will be rejected
That's a glimmer of hope for this issue, thanks for the feedback. Seems a call to the dealer may be in order.

As a slight aside, if anybody knows, even though my car was ordered through Tusker and delivered by Perry's MG up in Preston, should I go to a local MG dealer which happens to be a different chain (Glyn Hopkins MG, Milton Keynes) as it's a problem or does it need to go back through Perry's? My nearest Perry's is a Hyundai dealership (Luton). Or, maybe it needs to go through Tusker 🤔

German Facebook group. No more regen (or at least very litte, "-3%"). Car limits itself to 80, 105 and 120 km/h (50, 65, 75 mph). No errors shown. SOC 90%.

Did yours regenerate properly when the fault was present, @bowfer ?

4vDophZ.png

German Facebook group. No more regen (or at least very litte, "-3%"). Car limits itself to 80, 105 and 120 km/h (50, 65, 75 mph). No errors shown. SOC 90%.

Did yours regenerate properly when the fault was present, @bowfer ?

4vDophZ.png

Lack of regen was one of the first clues I used to get it was going to do it.
Set of lights yards from my work, no regen while approaching them meant I’d get the restricted speed up the bypass seconds later.

Last edited:
Lack of regen was one of the first clues I used to get it was going to do it.
Set of lights yards from my work, no regen approaching them meant I’d get the restricted speed up the bypass seconds later.
How has your rejection gone bowfer

How has your rejection gone bowfer

Still don’t have any actual money back, but Santander did say it can take a few weeks.
I’m in my Cupra Born now, so the 4 is rapidly fading from my brain.
Good riddance to bad rubbish. 🎉
Still interested in my speed thread though, I see more and more reports of it from all over the world now.

Still don’t have any actual money back, but Santander did say it can take a few weeks.
I’m in my Cupra Born now, so the 4 is rapidly fading from my brain.
Good riddance to bad rubbish. 🎉
Still interested in my speed thread though, I see more and more reports of it from all over the world now.
Did you have to surrender the car for re inspection I have just sent my rejection in after their fox hadn’t worked. Not sure on how the process works

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back