MG4 Restricted speed - weird

Still don’t have any actual money back, but Santander did say it can take a few weeks.
I’m in my Cupra Born now, so the 4 is rapidly fading from my brain.
Good riddance to bad rubbish. 🎉
Still interested in my speed thread though, I see more and more reports of it from all over the world now.
Nice Bowser. You went through an ordeal and were really patient in my opinion.

Hope the Born responds as you like when you attempt to go pedal to the metal ha

Did you have to surrender the car for re inspection I have just sent my rejection in after their fox hadn’t worked. Not sure on how the process works

They replaced the traction motor (allegedly) and I was given the car back.
Fault reappeared within days, so that was the point I formally rejected the car by email on the Monday.
I was NOT giving them any opportunity to try again.
Neither Santander nor the dealer said to return the car at any point that week, but I did the following Saturday anyway and emailed Santander the signed receipt for the car and keys and V5.
Whether this pushed things along or not I’ve no clue, but I was sick of seeing the thing and just wanted it gone.

Nice Bowser. You went through an ordeal and were really patient in my opinion.

Hope the Born responds as you like when you attempt to go pedal to the metal ha

It’s damned quick I tell you that.
There’s a few things I would like switched off permanently (lane assist etc) but I know I can do them via OBD11, which I’ve ordered (£50)

They replaced the traction motor (allegedly) and I was given the car back.
Fault reappeared within days, so that was the point I formally rejected the car by email on the Monday.
I was NOT giving them any opportunity to try again.
Neither Santander nor the dealer said to return the car at any point that week, but I did the following Saturday anyway and emailed Santander the signed receipt for the car and keys and V5.
Whether this pushed things along or not I’ve no clue, but I was sick of seeing the thing and just wanted it gone.
I am now in the same boat as you I had restricted speed as you are aware went on 10 weeks last time in courtesy car now oil leak for 2nd time been in garage 4 times for oil leak 2 diffrent dealers.power failure one morning the list is endless I gave it a chance but this oil leak again is the last straw so sent rejection email to Santander see what happens.did they deduct any usage charges from you or any extra costs I have done 1000 miles since oct ownership

I am now in the same boat as you I had restricted speed as you are aware went on 10 weeks last time in courtesy car now oil leak for 2nd time been in garage 4 times for oil leak 2 diffrent dealers.power failure one morning the list is endless I gave it a chance but this oil leak again is the last straw so sent rejection email to Santander see what happens.did they deduct any usage charges from you or any extra costs I have done 1000 miles since oct ownership

I was at 1800 miles, but a huge proportion of those was going to/from the dealer and in their possession.
Santander did warn me the dealer may try and deduct some money from my deposit for mileage, but I’m prepared to fight that.
Seeing as just over 50% of its time was with them, the most I’m prepared to pay for is 900 miles.
I’m also only prepared to pay the per mile rate at whatever the excess mile charge was on the PCP agreement (which I’d have to check)
It won’t have been as much as 10p, but let’s say it is for the sake of argument.
So that’s only £90.

I was at 1800 miles, but a huge proportion of those was going to/from the dealer and in their possession.
Santander did warn me the dealer may try and deduct some money from my deposit for mileage, but I’m prepared to fight that.
Seeing as just over 50% of its time was with them, the most I’m prepared to pay for is 900 miles.
I’m also only prepared to pay the per mile rate at whatever the excess mile charge was on the PCP agreement (which I’d have to check)
It won’t have been as much as 10p, but let’s say it is for the sake of argument.
So that’s only £90.
I was hoping the same per mile charge on pcp agreement works out around £350 for 1000 miles dealership did around 200 I would say of those and had my car for around 12 weeks from 21 ownership but I still had to pay finance and pay for petrol and courtesy car costs.hopefully I will get some money back but just want it gone ASAP

It’s damned quick I tell you that.
There’s a few things I would like switched off permanently (lane assist etc) but I know I can do them via OBD11, which I’ve ordered (£50)
Wonder where you would stand from an insurance point of view in the unfortunate event of having a nasty collision? I’d have thought any change to the software or hardware would be enough for them to walk away. I doubt they would check that in depth, but I’m sure it’s not hard to get a read out from the onboard computer…

I was hoping the same per mile charge on pcp agreement works out around £350 for 1000 miles dealership did around 200 I would say of those and had my car for around 12 weeks from 21 ownership but I still had to pay finance and pay for petrol and courtesy car costs.hopefully I will get some money back but just want it gone ASAP

Ah, I see how you’re thinking the charge per mile might work out.
So for my car, I was on 8000 miles per year and £340 a month.
£340 per month x 12 = £4080
£4080 divided by 8000 = £0.51
I hope not, as that would be £459 for me (assuming they agree to 900 miles)

Given the small amount of miles done in my limited time with the car actually in my possession, I’m kinda hoping they don’t get picky and just let it all go.

I should actually check if the car is up for sale.
SP72 ZXA.
Be funny/ironic if they’ve sold it on to some other poor sod and me not had a penny back yet.

Wonder where you would stand from an insurance point of view in the unfortunate event of having a nasty collision? I’d have thought any change to the software or hardware would be enough for them to walk away. I doubt they would check that in depth, but I’m sure it’s not hard to get a read out from the onboard computer…

There’s a lot of debate and no definitive answer as to whether VAG can detect OBD11 changes.
Then there’s a lot of debate as to whether insurance companies even check (unless they have specific reason to suspect foul play)
I recently had experience with an insurance assessor with a neighbour’s crashed motorbike (he was away) and the time spent on it was laughable.
Honestly, a few minutes while the assessor stood pressing damaged parts into an iPad.
It was as far from in-depth as you could get.
Some mild quizzing of the guy revealed how busy/stressed they are and they only really have time to check very obvious external changes.
Bottom line, I’m willing to take the risk to rid myself of lane assist.
To be clear, you have three options in OBD.

Always off
Always on
Remember last setting

I’ll be going for the last one.

Ah, I see how you’re thinking the charge per mile might work out.
So for my car, I was on 8000 miles per year and £340 a month.
£340 per month x 12 = £4080
£4080 divided by 8000 = £0.51
I hope not, as that would be £459 for me (assuming they agree to 900 miles)

Given the small amount of miles done in my limited time with the car actually in my possession, I’m kinda hoping they don’t get picky and just let it all go.

I should actually check if the car is up for sale.
SP72 ZXA.
Be funny/ironic if they’ve sold it on to some other poor sod and me not had a penny back yet.
Just got my deal out it states 0.35p per mile over 8000 miles hope they charge me 35p per mile as that would mean a good portion of a refund back.gonna see what Santander come back with this week I heard they can charge a fair usage charge but what is fair to them might not be too us we will see

Just got my deal out it states 0.35p per mile over 8000 miles hope they charge me 35p per mile as that would mean a good portion of a refund back.gonna see what Santander come back with this week I heard they can charge a fair usage charge but what is fair to them might not be too us we will see

35p per mile over the agreed miles is a lot.
I’ll have to check what mine says, but never seen excess miles as high on that in any lease or PCP I’ve done in the past.

There’s a lot of debate and no definitive answer as to whether VAG can detect OBD11 changes.
Then there’s a lot of debate as to whether insurance companies even check (unless they have specific reason to suspect foul play)
I recently had experience with an insurance assessor with a neighbour’s crashed motorbike (he was away) and the time spent on it was laughable.
Honestly, a few minutes while the assessor stood pressing damaged parts into an iPad.
It was as far from in-depth as you could get.
Some mild quizzing of the guy revealed how busy/stressed they are and they only really have time to check very obvious external changes.
Bottom line, I’m willing to take the risk to rid myself of lane assist.
To be clear, you have three options in OBD.

Always off
Always on
Remember last setting

I’ll be going for the last one.
Sounds like the last one will be the safest one to choose. Hope it all works out for you

Did you have to surrender the car for re inspection I have just sent my rejection in after their fox hadn’t worked. Not sure on how the process works
Are you saying that the BMS update you had hasn't resolved the power restriction issue? I had this again this morning (along with Android Auto failure), becoming highly frustrating. Going to report it to Glyn Hopkins MG Milton Keynes this morning. Was planning to mention the BMS update to them, though now wondering if it's not working after reading your post.

Are you saying that the BMS update you had hasn't resolved the power restriction issue? I had this again this morning (along with Android Auto failure), becoming highly frustrating. Going to report it to Glyn Hopkins MG Milton Keynes this morning. Was planning to mention the BMS update to them, though now wondering if it's not working after reading your post.

TBH I think the dealer was bullpooping about the BMS update.
Makes zero sense for my dealer to rip apart my car, under MG instruction, and replace hardware if an update was going to fix it.
Weeks/months of emails and the letters BMS don’t appear once.

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 12.21.54.png

Managed to recreate the speed limiting while I had ABRP and the ODB2 dongle attached, all 5 rows foot was to the floor, 100% Power for 6seconds on an incline, and then dropped off to 41% according to the dashboard at 84MPH.

the last column I've calculated the real % power output based on the motors peak rating of 125kW.

Shame ABRP doesn't record the pack voltage as part of its data logging.

View attachment 16614

Managed to recreate the speed limiting while I had ABRP and the ODB2 dongle attached, all 5 rows foot was to the floor, 100% Power for 6seconds on an incline, and then dropped off to 41% according to the dashboard at 84MPH.

the last column I've calculated the real % power output based on the motors peak rating of 125kW.

Shame ABRP doesn't record the pack voltage as part of its data logging.
FWIW, I've had this two days running at 'pedal right down', my power was limited at 40%, speed varied, limited once at around 75, once at around 65mph. SOC was around 30-35%.

Called Glyn Hopkin MG, and they said they heard of it but hadn't seen a car with it yet. I asked to book mine in and they said it's June before they have availability. TBH, I'm not even sure it's worth booking it if there's no official fix from MG? Feeling in a bit of a predicament as that takes me well beyond the 30 days since collection. If anybody has any thoughts on this, they'd be much appreciated.

Nice that you're getting more than 100% power though when working 😁

FWIW, I've had this two days running at 'pedal right down', my power was limited at 40%, speed varied, limited once at around 75, once at around 65mph. SOC was around 30-35%.

Called Glyn Hopkin MG, and they said they heard of it but hadn't seen a car with it yet. I asked to book mine in and they said it's June before they have availability. TBH, I'm not even sure it's worth booking it if there's no official fix from MG?

Nice that you're getting more than 100% power though when working 😁
Until dealers make a report to MG, they will not investigate. They don't read these forums. It is important that owners take their cars to the dealer and get these things reported so MG know it isn't an isolated issue and they need to address it.

Until dealers make a report to MG, they will not investigate. They don't read these forums. It is important that owners take their cars to the dealer and get these things reported so MG know it isn't an isolated issue and they need to address it.
I agree but to wait to June for a fault to be looked at that's potentially dangerous isn't ideal.

@richlove are the any dealers close by that you can try and take it to

Yes, June isn't great.

I am going to say the dealers are all busy PDIng new MG4s and 5s.

You are going to say they are all busy fixing a zillion faults with existing MG4s.
Not at all, I appreciate they are all busy, we got a recall for our older Kia and they couldn't take it till next month.

I do think they could potentially implement some sort of triage system depending on the potential severity of a fault, when I say they I mean all manufacturers not just MG

Not at all, I appreciate they are all busy, we got a recall for our older Kia and they couldn't take it till next month.
I apologise.
I do think they could potentially implement some sort of triage system depending on the potential severity of a fault, when I say they I mean all manufacturers not just MG
That would make a lot of sense.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel