MG4 Restricted speed - weird

Ah, I see how you’re thinking the charge per mile might work out.
So for my car, I was on 8000 miles per year and £340 a month.
£340 per month x 12 = £4080
£4080 divided by 8000 = £0.51
I hope not, as that would be £459 for me (assuming they agree to 900 miles)

Given the small amount of miles done in my limited time with the car actually in my possession, I’m kinda hoping they don’t get picky and just let it all go.

I should actually check if the car is up for sale.
SP72 ZXA.
Be funny/ironic if they’ve sold it on to some other poor sod and me not had a penny back yet.

There’s a lot of debate and no definitive answer as to whether VAG can detect OBD11 changes.
Then there’s a lot of debate as to whether insurance companies even check (unless they have specific reason to suspect foul play)
I recently had experience with an insurance assessor with a neighbour’s crashed motorbike (he was away) and the time spent on it was laughable.
Honestly, a few minutes while the assessor stood pressing damaged parts into an iPad.
It was as far from in-depth as you could get.
Some mild quizzing of the guy revealed how busy/stressed they are and they only really have time to check very obvious external changes.
Bottom line, I’m willing to take the risk to rid myself of lane assist.
To be clear, you have three options in OBD.

Always off
Always on
Remember last setting

I’ll be going for the last one.
I fail to see how that could affect your insurance cover in most cases.
As I’ve said before - if you can turn it off using the cars controls why would there be an issue in driving with it off?
As I understand it, the ‘default to on’ is to get the ncap rating. From an insurers perspective you are doing them a favour by turning it off as the way it performs you’re safer!
I suppose some insurers might say ‘modified’, but will they really get that in depth?

Watch it tsedge you are fast getting back onto my list of favourites
Woah there.

I fail to see how that could affect your insurance cover in most cases.
As I’ve said before - if you can turn it off using the cars controls why would there be an issue in driving with it off?
As I understand it, the ‘default to on’ is to get the ncap rating. From an insurers perspective you are doing them a favour by turning it off as the way it performs you’re safer!
I suppose some insurers might say ‘modified’, but will they really get that in depth?
No they won't. Lots of things are theoretically an insurance risk but very unlikely to actually happen.

FWIW, I've had this two days running at 'pedal right down', my power was limited at 40%, speed varied, limited once at around 75, once at around 65mph. SOC was around 30-35%.

Called Glyn Hopkin MG, and they said they heard of it but hadn't seen a car with it yet. I asked to book mine in and they said it's June before they have availability. TBH, I'm not even sure it's worth booking it if there's no official fix from MG? Feeling in a bit of a predicament as that takes me well beyond the 30 days since collection. If anybody has any thoughts on this, they'd be much appreciated.

Nice that you're getting more than 100% power though when working 😁
As long as you Formally report and have the fault acknowledged within 30 days - if the dealer can’t provide a date then that to rectify that doesn’t matter - as long as you are happy to wait of course.

I had power limit in my trophy today. I had driven about 170 miles with a break for a couple of hours at the 130 mile mark. I then drove out of Cardiff and back towards Bristol at mostly 50mph due to motorway limits and as I approached Bristol where I intended to charge as the battery percent dropped to under 20% I could not exceed 60mph. Power limited to 23% at 60 but would hit 66% under that speed but no more. Certainly not due to heat as about 9 degrees c and raining. I only found this by trying to overtake the HGVs once we got back to normal speed limit as I was fed up of being in their spray……had to pull back in😂

Car only covered 300 miles from new with only a single change to 100% last night where it spent over an hour balancing. I wonder if being a new pack it is unbalanced causing premature panic from the BMS at a lower state of charge.

Anyway after slight panic it rapid charged back to 80% in just over 25 minutes and all was well again. I drove more quickly where I could on the way home and have reduced it to 22% again with no reduction in performance at all yet. I will go out later and run it down further and see if the same thing happens again.

Slightly odd, no warning of reduced performance and not acceptable that the final 40 miles of range can only be completed at a snails pace. I would be quite happy if it did this at say 5% remaining with appropriate warnings

I had power limit in my trophy today. I had driven about 170 miles with a break for a couple of hours at the 130 mile mark. I then drove out of Cardiff and back towards Bristol at mostly 50mph due to motorway limits and as I approached Bristol where I intended to charge as the battery percent dropped to under 20% I could not exceed 60mph. Power limited to 23% at 60 but would hit 66% under that speed but no more. Certainly not due to heat as about 9 degrees c and raining. I only found this by trying to overtake the HGVs once we got back to normal speed limit as I was fed up of being in their spray……had to pull back in😂

Car only covered 300 miles from new with only a single change to 100% last night where it spent over an hour balancing. I wonder if being a new pack it is unbalanced causing premature panic from the BMS at a lower state of charge.

Anyway after slight panic it rapid charged back to 80% in just over 25 minutes and all was well again. I drove more quickly where I could on the way home and have reduced it to 22% again with no reduction in performance at all yet. I will go out later and run it down further and see if the same thing happens again.

Slightly odd, no warning of reduced performance and not acceptable that the final 40 miles of range can only be completed at a snails pace. I would be quite happy if it did this at say 5% remaining with appropriate warnings

Sorry to be pedantic, just clarifying.
The 66% took you to 60mph, then the car reduces the power level to whatever is needed to hold that speed (in your case 23%)

So it’s not you only getting 23%, as such.
It’s the car deciding 60mph is all you’re getting and 23% is all you need to do that.

Glad you were able to pull in.
I had one instance where I was restricted to 71mph halfway past a car and then there was this ‘Mexican stand off’ where I couldn’t go any faster and he wouldn’t slow down.
Meanwhile, other cars up my chuff.
So embarrassing.

The 66% took you to 60mph, then the car reduces the power level to whatever is needed to hold that speed (in your case 23%)

It’s the car deciding 60mph is all you’re getting and 23% is all you need to do that.

Glad you were able to pull in.
I had one instance where I was restricted to 71mph halfway past a car and then there was this ‘Mexican stand off’ where I couldn’t go any faster and he wouldn’t slow down.
Meanwhile, other cars up my chuff.
So embarrassing.
This is interesting. It's not quite how mine behaved yesterday. As my speed started to increase, the power was dropping and dropping, I then hit a certain speed and power stayed at 40%, though the speed increased very steadily, I think as the gradient was slightly downhill. I still can't work out if it's trying to limit speed or power. Perhaps it was still trying to maintain a speed limit though couldn't quite control it due to the gradient.

Until dealers make a report to MG, they will not investigate. They don't read these forums. It is important that owners take their cars to the dealer and get these things reported so MG know it isn't an isolated issue and they need to address it.

Appreciate the sentiment, though how many people need to leave their cars for days or weeks, with things such as replacement motors being tried as a resolution? This should be reported to MG for investigation after the first instance. It would extraordinary to think they're not aware of this by now?

I agree but to wait to June for a fault to be looked at that's potentially dangerous isn't ideal.

@richlove are the any dealers close by that you can try and take it to

Glyn Hopkins MK is the closest, although the car came from Perry's (Preston). There's a Perry's MG in Aylesbury so it's probably worth me following up with them also. Will give them a call tomorrow, cheers. Maybe it's better to keep it in the same company chain as it originally came from, though, from what I understand it can go to any MG dealer if it's a warranty issue.

Maybe Perry's will be more inclined to help if they know it came from their chain originally.

Triage service is a nice idea :)

This is interesting. It's not quite how mine behaved yesterday. As my speed started to increase, the power was dropping and dropping, I then hit a certain speed and power stayed at 40%, though the speed increased very steadily, I think as the gradient was slightly downhill. I still can't work out if it's trying to limit speed or power. Perhaps it was still trying to maintain a speed limit though couldn't quite control it due to the gradient.

I’ve got a few videos, which helped my rejection case, and the speed limit definitely comes first, with the ‘power circle’ dropping rapidly to whatever is required to hold that speed a bit after.
I’m away to watch one again to see if power dropped towards that speed, I don’t think it did, I think it was steady power up to the restricted speed then power tumbling.

Basically yes, I guess power limited to 66% at that point but also a 60mph limit give or take. No odd behaviour other than that, had regen, power delivery was linear hence I had no idea it was going to happen.

I didn’t fancy a “Mexican stand off” with a HGV as my exit was only just over a mile away hence I pulled back in.

I will head out of town this evening and test it again and see if the same thing happens. If so I can pop in to the dealer tomorrow as I will be passing. If not, I will run it right down as low as I dare and then pop it on for a full charge and balance again.

I checked the videos again.
There is ‘some’ power drop approaching whatever speed it decided I was getting that day.
But not much, the power only tumbles once I’ve been stopped at whatever speed.

I checked the videos again.
There is ‘some’ power drop approaching whatever speed it decided I was getting that day.
But not much, the power only tumbles once I’ve been stopped at whatever speed.
Yeah, think pretty much the same, tumbles pretty quickly at a given speed.

Basically yes, I guess power limited to 66% at that point but also a 60mph limit give or take. No odd behaviour other than that, had regen, power delivery was linear hence I had no idea it was going to happen.

I didn’t fancy a “Mexican stand off” with a HGV as my exit was only just over a mile away hence I pulled back in.

I will head out of town this evening and test it again and see if the same thing happens. If so I can pop in to the dealer tomorrow as I will be passing. If not, I will run it right down as low as I dare and then pop it on for a full charge and balance again.
Was the "Intelligent Speed Restriction" on which might have picked up a 60 limit through the roadworks?
1680712872359.png

No, intelligent speed limit was off, roadworks were 50 and it had picked up a 30 from an off ramp with no effect other than flashing sign. I also managed speed limit plus VAT later on after charging on the motorway so I’ll check to see if it’s spewed oil everywhere once the rain stops

Was the "Intelligent Speed Restriction" on which might have picked up a 60 limit through the roadworks?
View attachment 16629
Maybe this is the key. Ok it's not turned on but if the software glitches and in the background engages an "intelligent speed restriction" wouldn't this give exactly the effect being reported ?

Maybe this is the key. Ok it's not turned on but if the software glitches and in the background engages an "intelligent speed restriction" wouldn't this give exactly the effect being reported ?

Don’t think so, because there are often other symptoms to the issue.
For example, if I started off a journey and the regen braking had mysteriously disappeared, I knew I was going to get the speed restriction.
The acceleration up to the restricted speed would also be ‘lumpy’, not smooth.

Don’t think so, because there are often other symptoms to the issue.
For example, if I started off a journey and the regen braking had mysteriously disappeared, I knew I was going to get the speed restriction.
The acceleration up to the restricted speed would also be ‘lumpy’, not smooth.
Ok fair enough, just a thought.👍

When mine lost power it would go up in 1mph increments no power accelerating at all the power dial on right side wouldn’t go above no 60 my battery was at 85% on startup then went down to 15% in 5 miles driving.they did BMS update which not had power issues since.car is in for official rejection today with finance company being inspected by a private firm any refund or confirmation on your rejection yet @bowfer

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back