• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 Reviews from various online publications

The Viking has finally jumped on the MG4 bandwagon :)

You see. This is what confuses me. As he says. Almost or every online review has the MG4 as either better or significantly better than its rivals. And not only regarding price.

And yet, if you read almost all of the threads and posts on this forum, you could be mistaken for thinking that the MG4 is full of problems and not worth waiting for delivery.

So why the difference.
Are all the reviews just motoring journalists who would have had the car fully sorted?
Some but certainly not all.

So what about the owners reviews. Some identify a few of the so called dislikes. But very few of the problems identified in this forum are highlighted by the owners reviews.

Comments...

You see. This is what confuses me. As he says. Almost or every online review has the MG4 as either better or significantly better than its rivals. And not only regarding price.

And yet, if you read almost all of the threads and posts on this forum, you could be mistaken for thinking that the MG4 is full of problems and not worth waiting for delivery.

So why the difference.
Are all the reviews just motoring journalists who would have had the car fully sorted?
Some but certainly not all.

So what about the owners reviews. Some identify a few of the so called dislikes. But very few of the problems identified in this forum are highlighted by the owners reviews.

Comments...
I think that as a journalist if you drive the car and have it for a limited time then you would give it high praise. Issues like, locking in, oil leak, undertray, software issues, are unlikely to be identified, so I can see why the press like it. It drives great, looks good and is competitively priced.
It’s only after experiencing ownership, exposing MG customer service and some dealers that the real ownership prospect emerges.
Not many regular owners post comprehensive reviews on YouTube, if they did I think that you would see a different emerging picture.

I think that as a journalist if you drive the car and have it for a limited time then you would give it high praise. Issues like, locking in, oil leak, undertray, software issues, are unlikely to be identified, so I can see why the press like it. It drives great, looks good and is competitively priced.
It’s only after experiencing ownership, exposing MG customer service and some dealers that the real ownership prospect emerges.
Not many regular owners post comprehensive reviews on YouTube, if they did I think that you would see a different emerging picture.
You are right and I agree with most of your points.
But there are a number of owners who have posted reviews. And not just a single review. But some have posted multiple reviews.
But it is what it is.
A very good car at a very good price which seems to be being tainted by some technical problems not being dealt with by either MG or some dealers.
But if my car is delivered by the forecast date and has these technical problems resolved, I will be a happy customer.

Complained that the sat-nav, dual floor boot etc. was only available on the trophy which was £6000 more than the SE SR but then went to have a look at the Cupra Born which starts at £5000 more than the Trophy :unsure:

Some useful feedback MG

Looks like Susan was determined not to like it. Many of her grumbles were fairly trivial and was the point of my thread on an Improvement Wish List. I'm certain that MG could have made an even better car spending just a little money in a few key areas.

Complained that the sat-nav, dual floor boot etc. was only available on the trophy which was £6000 more than the SE SR but then went to have a look at the Cupra Born which starts at £5000 more than the Trophy :unsure:
£4k more but I admitt I'm splitting hairs a bit, to be fair to the born it did beat the trophy in what cars EV group test and that was the v1 model. I test drove a Born, it's handling is another level again and it's got a quality cabin. It wasn't for me though found those haptic controls a real pain in the proverbial. I kept touching the ones on the steering wheel by accident and changing settings. Then when I did want to change things, I didn't touch them right! And it didn't change. It's a bizarre set up although I think VW have listened to customers and are switching back to normal buttons moving forward.
My neighbour has a Born he said it took him a month or so of frustration to get used to them.

Some useful feedback MG

I just watched some of that, had to switch it off! Most people know I've been a bit critical of some of the issues owners have experienced with their MG 4's.

But they are a pair of idiots, some of their criticisms were nonsense.
I need a car to tell me the speed limit!! Really!
Here's an idea look at the road signs, what if the dash shows it wrong (as can happen) is that going to be their defence if they get caught speeding, the car said!!

The car is jerky! One thing I have found the 4 to be when I drove it, twice, was really smooth, every EV I have driven I have found smooth. Look at your driving style Susan!

I could go on, nonsense video!

I now need to go sit in a dark room after sticking up for MG 4

I just watched some of that, had to switch it off! Most people know I've been a bit critical of some of the issues owners have experienced with their MG 4's.

But they are a pair of idiots, some of their criticisms were nonsense.
I need a car to tell me the speed limit!! Really!
Here's an idea look at the road signs, what if the dash shows it wrong (as can happen) is that going to be their defence if they get caught speeding, the car said!!

The car is jerky! One thing I have found the 4 to be when I drove it, twice, was really smooth, every EV I have driven I have found smooth. Look at your driving style Susan!

I could go on, nonsense video!

I now need to go sit in a dark room after sticking up for MG 4
Sorry, I should have said "trigger Warning" in my intro as I was exactly the same but wondered if I was over reacting....it appears not :) :D

Gone from a leaf to MG4 - real world experience so far is pretty good, and it makes me enjoy driving unexpected! problems I have had are software (lane control over the top, android auto buggy) but every car I have had has these issues and you have to find ways around this, the Leaf never once connected to its online app went back to the garage twice for two weeks and they couldnt figure out why. MG4 connected in about a minute and has worked flawlessly. so each is different.

This has popped up in few threads this morning, worst video ever utterly depressing pair

It doesn't make her happy is the best line, I think she'd struggle to find something that does!

Also moaning that she needs the dash to tell her the speed limit of the road she's driving on, here's an idea just look at the road signs. She would get caught speeding and tell the police the car told her the speed limit, I'd love to see how that went for her

Can’t be bothered to watch till the end. Why post reviews when you have not got a clue about the car. Only advice to give them is try Waze instead of google maps.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 424 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back