MG4 Reviews from various online publications

When we were speaking to the Cupra dealer they essentially said there is no movement on prices so the only "haggle" available would be the value of your trade in.

On the same figures (deposit,miles) MG are giving a GFV as £15900.
Cupra is giving GFV as £19400

He's got the range wrong. He's in a Trophy, but he says it only has 218 miles range and he'd like a bit more.

On the other hand, he does say "real world" range, so maybe he's not so far out!
I'm getting 225 miles range in my Trophy right now. Expecting 250 in summer. Got 200 during the colder part of March, so winter probably 190-200 real world.

I think he has the ranges confused though. 218 is a bit precise for an off-the-cuff real-world estimate, but it's what the SR's official range is advertised at, a translation of 350 km.

It's noticeable that these reviews often do down a car because the reviewer isn't familiar enough with what he's reviewing and gets some things wrong. I saw a review that was scathing about the need to go three screens deep on the touchscreen to change the cabin temperature or fan settings. It was one of the first reviews I watched, and I thought, that's crazy. But I watched a few more and a couple of people had the correct info on that. I've had the car less than a fortnight and I can adjust the temperature and/or the fan with my right thumb without taking my eyes off the road, far better than leaning forward to twist a knob or press a button as it was on my old car.

I saw one review where a representative of MG had come into the comments and said "Well actually you can do [whatever it was the reviewer was complaining he couldn't] if you use the steering wheel buttons."

I think he has the ranges confused though. 218 is a bit precise for an off-the-cuff real-world estimate, but it's what the SR's official range is advertised at, a translation of 350 km.

It's noticeable that these reviews often do down a car because the reviewer isn't familiar enough with what he's reviewing and gets some things wrong. I saw a review that was scathing about the need to go three screens deep on the touchscreen to change the cabin temperature or fan settings. It was one of the first reviews I watched, and I thought, that's crazy. But I watched a few more and a couple of people had the correct info on that. I've had the car less than a fortnight and I can adjust the temperature and/or the fan with my right thumb without taking my eyes off the road, far better than leaning forward to twist a knob or press a button as it was on my old car.

I saw one review where a representative of MG had come into the comments and said "Well actually you can do [whatever it was the reviewer was complaining he couldn't] if you use the steering wheel buttons."
Reviewers get very little time with press cars, sometimes only an hour, so they don't have time to familiarise themselves with all the options / ways of doing things. They are good for an instant fresh judgement but often react to things incorrectly out of ignorance.

I preferred the reviews from people who'd had the car for a little while.

You'd think by now people would be familiar from things like Windows that there can be several different ways of doing the same thing and you pick whichever is the most convenient for you. But with cars there still seems to be the assumption that if you've found one way to do something that's the way it's done and you just have to put up with it.

So pretty much everyone who reviews the MG4 goes bananas for it.

Has there ever been a negative review and someone who thinks the VW ID4 would be better value for money?

Not that I saw, and I binge-watched every one I could find on the evening of the day my insurance company told me they had decided to write off my GTI.

I knew nothing at all about EVs until that day. I thought it would take me weeks to research different marks and what their capabilities and specifications were and just how much money I'd need to spend to be happy with what I bought. It took about 20 minutes of googling for the MG4 to be such an obvious front runner there was only one way this was going. I was looking for people with quibbles but didn't find a quibble that worried me at all.

Now I have three. Or perhaps two and a half.
  • Not having electrically-folding mirrors in the SE is ridiculously cheapskate
  • It's a pain in the neck having to switch off that damn Lane Assist thing (and the speed limit recognition) every time before you can get going
  • The USB music input (at least in the SE) is very simple-minded. It can't cope with folders and it can't read iPod files
That really isn't a lot. I certainly wouldn't shell out for a Trophy (which has a bunch of things I actively don't want, starting with the satnav and continuing to these spoilers and Big Brother on the steering wheel telling you to keep your eyes on the road) to get electrical mirror folding.

Has there ever been a negative review and someone who thinks the VW ID4 would be better value for money?
Not heard any negative reviews at all but have read group tests where other cars have won

What is the deal with folding mirrors? Never had it and never felt the need for it.

Maybe less risk of mirrors getting scratched by others in parking lots, but thats about it?

What is the deal with folding mirrors? Never had it and never felt the need for it.

Maybe less risk of mirrors getting scratched by others in parking lots, but thats about it?
Always useful to avoid damage to the mirrors. Replacement motorised mirrors can cost hundreds of pounds - especially if they have blind spot technology and cameras (eg a 360 degree camera). I was told years ago that a replacement camera on a top end Range Rover cost £4k - mainly because it had sonar detection to show the depth of puddles on Jocasta’s school run through rural Clapham.

There are a couple of YouTube reviews where LKA and the infotainment system get a bit of a hammering but the overall tone of the review is it's a good car for the money.

Reversing into a garage.

Although I have a big double garage it has two separate doors, each of which is single width. My usual procedure is to reverse in, using the wing mirrors to keep the line, until the mirrors are nearly touching the door frame. Fold mirrors, reverse another foot or so, then unfold them again to complete the manoeuvre.

To be fair, in my old car I didn't always need to fold the mirrors if I had got the line spot on, and as measurements indicate that the MG4 should have nearly three inches clearance either side this may be the case with it as well. I can always reach out the window and fold the driver's side manually if necessary. But it's a ridiculous omission for a car with so many other bells and whistles.

I also find the car very easy to reverse because the wing mirrors are actually very good and give great visibility, so that will help.

Why am I talking as if this is all academic, haven't I actually tried to get the car in? Because my old car is still inside waiting for the insurance company to come and collect it. This is annoying.

Here's a thing. Last night when browsing for helpful videos I came across a series of videos absolutely ranting against EVs in general. The MacMaster and Geoff Buys Cars were the two accounts.

It was hilarious. I couldn't stop watching. The MacMaster seems to have been conned into taking an EV on a lease deal that would have caused him to lose money if he terminated it early, and set out on an EV debunking spree. It was mostly about the difficulties of using public charge points, and he seems to have set out on journeys deliberately chosen to lead him into situations he could then hype up to the max. He rants and raves about EV "zealots" trying to justify their obsession, but he's telling it like it is, you know. EVs will ruin your life!

One repeated trick was being unable to find the charging points his app had sent him to. Or being unable to connect. At one point I swear he ranted that he couldn't connect due to the length of the cable and stormed off to find another station, when all he needed to do was reverse the car in. When he found another station, I reckon he deliberately chose the charger that was out of order first.

He shouldn't have an EV. First, he wants to travel cross-country a lot, and he doesn't have either the patience or the foresight to manage his charging stops. The big advantage ICE cars have is their speed of refuelling out on the road, and if that's important to you, don't get an EV in the first place, certainly not until the charger network is more developed. Second, he's temperamentally unsuited to having an EV, lacking that patience and foresight and unwilling to acquire it.

The idea that an EV is ideally suited to someone who rarely travels more miles in a day than home charging can put back, and who is prepared to sacrifice a bit of time and convenience on longer journeys occasionally for that advantage, doesn't seem to have occurred to him.

Anyway, I thought it was all absolutely hysterical.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back