MG4 Reviews from various online publications

Australian pricing and specs announced.

Interestingly, instead of the 51kWh SE SR equivalent, they're getting a 77kWh battery / 180kW motor (240bhp) Trophy equivalent!
More powerful motor won't do much, more wheelspin! 🤣 I would like the larger battery tho. Wonder if that will come to EU.

It's bigger, more like the BMW Z4's size
Whilst I sit outside looking at our well used MG4 & Z4, although i love the concept (which is beautiful) £50k+ is a huge amount of money, when a well used Z4 is worth ~£2k? - I'm not so sure that they will sell so many (we do more miles in a month in the MG4, than the Z4 gets in a year!)

Attachments

• IMG_4867.jpeg
    IMG_4867.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
THAT was worth watching, thank you. I'm still not really in the habit of doing all this, and although I do miss the regenerative braking when it isn't there (100% charge), I'm too ready to hit the brake rather than see what the car is going to do at lower SoC levels.

I've never driven the car in ECO mode, but perhaps I should try it and see. I'm interested that he suggested putting the regen on to adaptive, though. I asked my dealer why the car defaults to strong rather than adaptive, if adaptive is so clever, and he said he thought the idea was just to squeeze the last little bit out of it. What is the feeling of the forum on this, I wonder.

I did notice one interesting thing last week. When I was belting along the motorway (I'm sorry, hell will freeze over before I cruise at 60 on a motorway) I wasn't getting much over 3 miles/KWh. However, when I was touring in the Dales over what amounted to a roller-coaster ride, which would have absolutely killed my ICE car's mpg, I was getting about 4.5. I was actually showing off the regenerative braking to my passengers on the downhill stretches.

If you're cruising on the motorway and lift off the throttle (because of traffic ahead) you probably want minimal regen - more like ICE engine braking - else you'd slow down too quickly. Adaptive regen uses the radar and only applies higher regen if there is something in front (that is getting closer) OR if you press the brake pedal.

If you use ACC then there's no point in adaptive regen, as the car will do what it thinks best. But if you're always controlling speed yourself then adaptive regen can be useful. (Although you can emulate this by feathering the throttle).

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I have never used any sort of cruise control - I've never before had a car with the capability and I've never been quite sure what use it is. People here seem to think it's a good thing though so maybe I should try it. Some day.

THAT was worth watching, thank you. I'm still not really in the habit of doing all this, and although I do miss the regenerative braking when it isn't there (100% charge), I'm too ready to hit the brake rather than see what the car is going to do at lower SoC levels.

I've never driven the car in ECO mode, but perhaps I should try it and see. I'm interested that he suggested putting the regen on to adaptive, though. I asked my dealer why the car defaults to strong rather than adaptive, if adaptive is so clever, and he said he thought the idea was just to squeeze the last little bit out of it. What is the feeling of the forum on this, I wonder.

I did notice one interesting thing last week. When I was belting along the motorway (I'm sorry, hell will freeze over before I cruise at 60 on a motorway) I wasn't getting much over 3 miles/KWh. However, when I was touring in the Dales over what amounted to a roller-coaster ride, which would have absolutely killed my ICE car's mpg, I was getting about 4.5. I was actually showing off the regenerative braking to my passengers on the downhill stretches.
Last sentence spot on I’d say. I only ever use eco and regen 3. The car will still skip off from the lights if you must - you just need a bit more travel on the pedal that’s all. The regen starts putting any excess into the battery as soon space becomes available but I only charge to 80 to 90% anyway as a rule so using similar techniques to what that guy explains usually starts me off well over 200 miles range. A wee top up before I’ve used 200 leaves around 30 miles in the tank and can give an overall range of 300 plus miles over the day with very little effort or time wasted. And still arrive with a useable buffer of charge left over. Your winding twisty roads allow the car to show off its prowess on uphills with no time wasted faffing with gears (manual or auto) and great lovely lumps of regen on the downhills. Keep the throttle usage sensitive and it’s amazing how very little power you can use over a 10 to 15 mile stretch of very hilly road.

Good advice. I have to drive the Kilbirnie to Largs road on Thursday, back on Friday, and that will be an interesting test. I wonder how it will handle the descent of the Haylie Brae?

The car will still skip off from the lights if you must - you just need a bit more travel on the pedal that’s all.
If you’re in eco the car is still able to pull effortlessly away at lights etc if you want it to - just sink the foot further on the pedal - but the REAL advantage is how much less wheel spin is generated ( in the magnificent five that is - I’ve never tried one on these new fangled rear wheel drive gizmos 🤷‍♂️

I've noticed that the MG4, while having less power on paper than my GTi, actually performs just as well at the lights because there is no lag in the power delivery - whether turbo or DSG caused - and no wheel-spin. It just does it, no fuss.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back