MG4 Reviews from various online publications

There's a big difference between 4C (where the warning triggers) and -10C. I'm used to having that readout, I doubt a car sold this century doesn't have it, and I judge a lot of things by it.

I find it even more useful in the EV. It helps me estimate my real range for the advertised SoC, and it would help me decide whether to turn on battery heating if I was going to a rapid charger in winter.

It's an absolutely standard thing on all modern cars, and it's completely ridiculous (a) that they lost it, and (b) that it took them two software updates to fix it.

See that signpost near the start? Southwater 4 miles. I lived there for 18 years.

That's why I got rather good at driving from Sussex to central Scotland in an evening with one quick petrol stop.

(The SR would have had to stop once, but charging up to 90 Kw it would still have won hands down.)

Last edited:
Parkers (the car price guide) have awarded the MG4 their "Best Value Car", "Best Small Family Car" and made it their overall winner for 2023

According to Parkers , EV6 best large family car, that can’t be right! I sat inside one of those and absolutely hated it, the floor was so high, my knee almost touch my chin when I sat in the rear!
Best family car has got to be Tesla model Y, all I could say is ModelY is enormous inside!!

Here's an interesting review from a young family point of view, where a big consideration is fitting 3 child seats in the back row and the boot is measured in how many shopping bags/prams/dogs you can fit.

Also one of the benefits of an EV being "you have all the lovely benefits of driving your kids to sleep without churning through fuel and being able to sit while they nap with the aircon running without hurting your wallet or pumping fumes into the local environment".

babydrive.com.au 2023 MG4

Last edited:

16644050711644920007.jpg

win

I may be out of line here as a Trophy driver but it seemed to me the reporter was not as thorough as he should have been.

What SR Version was he driving? Original or Updated?

What's with the 'MG Pilot fully taking charge of the car'? No way would I let that happen. He seemed happy with LKA but, surely, that must use the same software as the left/right jittering he complains about when he selects 'MG Pilot'.

At the start I was confused: he declared an SE SR version then proceeded to charge only to 80% with no explanation.

As I understand it the range estimate is based on a number of factors including battery balancing which should only occur at 100% with the SR Version.

Is the 'sunken' boot now standard for the SE SR?

Why was there no comment on road-grip? Given the weather conditions it would have been informative.

It is important to receive information from other users but, I believe, it is important that they focus on the key location differences that will add to the deep knowledge of our lovable MG4 as well as confirming any continuation or rectification of known issues.

Perhaps it is time to separate the various marques so as to avoid ensure those driving particular cars know the issues relate to their car and not to another.

It was the SE SR 51kWh version ... called the Standard in the EU. It also had 17" wheels - the original (Phase 1) Standard came with 16" steel wheels, so this was a Phase 2 car.

He charged to 80% or thereabouts because there's little to be gained going higher on a rapid/ultra-rapid charger ... the charge rate falls off a cliff once you're up to very high SoC values, so it's a balance of range vs time waiting for a higher charge; you can schedule another charging stop to give you more effective range than waiting for 95%+ on a single stop.

Sunken boot has always been standard for the SE (Standard or Comfort in the EU). The raised floor has only ever been available in the Trophy / Luxury.

MG4 wins 2 categories in Electrifying's car awards:

It could also have won the small affordable category, but I suspect they shoehorned the EX30 as the winner of that category so that they could make it car of the year.

Australian road tester wrote,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224-145313.png
    Screenshot_20231224-145313.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 55

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%