MG4 Rumbling and vibration

bowfer

Banned
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Driving car home from dealer yesterday, I noticed noise and vibration at various speeds. The vibration can be felt all through the car, including the wheel, but there’s no visible steering wheel shake.
I would err towards wheel balance, but the rumbling that goes with the vibration isn’t something I’ve experienced with wheel balance before.
I would describe the noise as similar to when you drive over those horrible concrete sections on motorways.
Blowing up the tyres today (they were all under recommended, thanks dealer…) seems to have moved the vibration/noise over 70mph, but it’s horrible after that - anyone in the car would notice.
I’m wondering if I have a rogue tyre.
I’m getting all-season fitted on Saturday and I’m hoping that will end it, but if it doesn’t I’m lost as to what it could be…but it’s not good in a brand new car….

Take it back to the dealer. They deserve the opportunity to fix it for you.

Edit: Snap. The dealer needs a chance to work out the issue without the complications of someone else working on the car.

Last edited:
Driving car home from dealer yesterday, I noticed noise and vibration at various speeds. The vibration can be felt all through the car, including the wheel, but there’s no visible steering wheel shake.
I would err towards wheel balance, but the rumbling that goes with the vibration isn’t something I’ve experienced with wheel balance before.
I would describe the noise as similar to when you drive over those horrible concrete sections on motorways.
Blowing up the tyres today (they were all under recommended, thanks dealer…) seems to have moved the vibration/noise over 70mph, but it’s horrible after that - anyone in the car would notice.
I’m getting all-season fitted on Saturday and I’m hoping that will end it, but if it doesn’t I’m lost as to what it could be…but it’s not good in a brand new car….
I am feeling vibration through the car from the battery cooling pump. It is noticeable shortly after hard acceleration and then once you get to speed and relax on the throttle it goes away after 20 seconds or so. I only get it when accelerating firmly. I feel it through the body of the car and very slightly through steering wheel. I asked to drive the dealer demonstrator which is exactly same spec car and it does the same under the same conditions.

You should get it diagnosed by the dealer before you change the tyres.
The dealer I got the car from is 45 mins away and I’ve no time off work left.
There is an MG dealer closer, they couldn’t get me a car in the timeframe I needed.
I’m in two minds as to whether it would be cheeky to bother them with it.

I am feeling vibration through the car from the battery cooling pump. It is noticeable shortly after hard acceleration and then once you get to speed and relax on the throttle it goes away after 20 seconds or so. I only get it when accelerating firmly. I feel it through the body of the car and very slightly through steering wheel. I asked to drive the dealer demonstrator which is exactly same spec car and it does the same under the same conditions.
Are you getting an audible rumble?
Are you letting it stay like this?
It can’t be right/normal, or surely some road testers would have noticed and commented.

Are you getting an audible rumble?
Are you letting it stay like this?
It can’t be right/normal, or surely some road testers would have noticed and commented.
It’s not audible. I feel it. Other car was identical. It doesn’t bother me hugely but I may get them to investigate when the oil leak is fixed.

Funny enough I have just noticed it on mine yesterday and again today. Did not feel it initially but now done over 500 miles there is a definate rumble high frequency vibration. If it is the cooling pump then fair enough just need to live with it. I will mention it to dealer when I book car in for breather midification and drowsiness alert fail.

There is an MG dealer closer, they couldn’t get me a car in the timeframe I needed.
I’m in two minds as to whether it would be cheeky to bother them with it.

It's not cheeky, it's warranty work that MG UK pay them to do. Unless you think they are generally poor.

It's not cheeky, it's warranty work that MG UK pay them to do. Unless you think they are generally poor.

My BIL has a 5 and wanted them to get my 4 order, but they were so slow getting back to me I’d found one 50 miles away.
I don’t want them ‘taking the hump’ with me, but their location is not only better in terms of convenience, but better for seeing the issue.
They have a bypass within 1 mile that they can get the car up to 70mph, whereas the supplying dealer has a few miles of country driving first.

I still have this vibration rumble.
As its speed related I think it is the undertray gap causing the vibration and transmitting to the body of the car as it does not feel mechanical.
Told my dealer and they will check out when breather gets done.
Tempted to try some gaffer tape to fill the gap and stop air getting into the tray to see if it stops?

Unbelievably, my dealer reports they can’t see any issue, despite mr having the vibration for the 40 mile drive down (it’s bad at mway speeds)
I’m going back with the loaner and insisting a mechanic comes for a drive with me.
Oh, they did find the dreaded oil leak though!!
So one problem unresolved, another added.

Run your hand back and forth over the tyre tread and see if there are sharp edges to the tread blocks. I had a similar noise/vibration on my Focus after mistakenly over inflating the tyres causing sawtooth / castellated tyre wear.

I still have this vibration rumble.
As its speed related I think it is the undertray gap causing the vibration and transmitting to the body of the car as it does not feel mechanical.
Told my dealer and they will check out when breather gets done.
Tempted to try some gaffer tape to fill the gap and stop air getting into the tray to see if it stops?
I guess you're used to the rumble having a Stag V8, one of the nicest sounding V8s IMO.

I wonder if those experiencing the Rumble/Vibration are all Long Range cars?
Maybe its when the front spoiler vents open for battery cooling?
Any SR cars experience this Rumble?

I think they might be a China-specific Continental tyre that isn't available on this side of the world.
That's mentioned in another thread here somewhere. (I'm not sure if the tyre diameter/width/profile is slightly unusual for this part of the world).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back