MG4 Rumbling and vibration

That's mentioned in another thread here somewhere. (I'm not sure if the tyre diameter/width/profile is slightly unusual for this part of the world).
The tyres size isn't unusual for this part of the world so plenty of choice in quality and price. (215/50 R17 95V)

Some continental tyres suffer from sharking, as mentioned earlier in the thread where segments of the tread wear at different rates.

I believe the car comes with Continental premium contact C on them, as per screen shots here. Only available in China from from internet Googling. They look exactly like the UK available Ultra Contact UC6 though.

Attachments

• D416E805-0AFB-40EF-896E-F41C086AFF10.jpeg
    D416E805-0AFB-40EF-896E-F41C086AFF10.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 5B1AA371-2A0A-408F-B620-A167E8A588D9.jpeg
    5B1AA371-2A0A-408F-B620-A167E8A588D9.jpeg
    570 KB · Views: 93
  • 284F8AAE-CB13-4B03-ACD8-DC92E866B5A4.jpeg
    284F8AAE-CB13-4B03-ACD8-DC92E866B5A4.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 110
Probably exactly the same (fingers crossed) just labeled as local so they can sell them cheaper and compete with local brands whilst ensuring they don't get exported to high margin countries.
Historically, Chinese tyres were different and poor. However, we are well beyond that and branded Chinese market tyres are perfectly acceptable, if not the best you can get.

Waiting for the first person to swap theirs and report back if there’s an improvement.

We have had our MG4 for 3 weeks now and done +350 miles at various speeds and roads. We have not noticed any strange noises or vibrations. The only thing we notice is that the suspension is a bit harder than what we are used to. Otherwise we enjoy the driving experience.

We have had our MG4 for 3 weeks now and done +350 miles at various speeds and roads. We have not noticed any strange noises or vibrations. The only thing we notice is that the suspension is a bit harder than what we are used to. Otherwise we enjoy the driving experience.

Ok…..

Anyone had any form of feedback about what the rumbling/vibration might be yet?
Getting heartily fed up of it.

Anyone had any form of feedback about what the rumbling/vibration might be yet?
Getting heartily fed up of it.
Did you get your mechanic to accompany you on a drive?

Have you:
  • taken the car to have the wheels checked/balanced?
  • tested with a/c off?
  • tried it on a variety of different road surfaces?
  • had a passenger sit in the back to try to determine where it is coming from?

It is one of these things that needs a process of elimination.

Take it back to the dealer. They deserve the opportunity to fix it for you.

Edit: Snap. The dealer needs a chance to work out the issue without the complications of someone else working on the car.

Tell the dealer that you intend to reject the car if they don't resolve the issue.

Have you tried a different MG4 on the same route? Does it do the same thing or is it just your car?

Edit: I've only just read your post on the oil leak thread. Your dealer needs to work harder to protect their sale. If you are not getting an MG4 as a loaner ask to borrow their demo car before then.

Last edited:
Yes I’ve had a mechanic accompany me and he agrees the vibration is there.
Not tried wheel balance as it doesn’t fit the profile of that, wheel balance usually appears at a certain speed and then goes away.
This vibration just progressively gets worse (and also why should I pay for wheel balancing on a brand new car)
Haven’t tried A/C off, that’s a curve ball but I will try it.
Road surface makes no difference.
Haven’t tried anyone in the back.

I’ve not tried another 4, but the dealer said their demo is the same.
It could be that the tyres have flat spotted during shipment and depending on how badly will determine if they correct themselves or need replacing.
It might be an idea to have the dealer also check the alignment and wheel balance asap as they are only under warranty for 1000 miles or 3 months.

I’ve not tried another 4, but the dealer said their demo is the same.
Ask to drive their demo and experience it for yourself, to help verify your feelings.
Does the demo have the same tyres fitted as your car.
Are ALL the MG4’s running on the same make of tyres.
If not, ask them to flip all four wheels with another car, and then test drive.
That way you can put that option to one side.

Kinda hoping other members have had attempts to cure this given to them.
I’m 40 miles from my dealer and just don’t have the time to go back and forth for them to try stuff.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back