MG4 Seat Belts Torn *URGENT* *PLEASE CHECK YOURS*

When I arrived they already had the paperwork done, parts ordered and courtesy car ready. Was quite happy with the response. Will eagerly await their investigation. Things go wrong all the time and for me it's about how it gets rectified that matters and top marks (so far) to the dealer 🙂
Great stuff. Out of interest, which dealer is it?

Hi, My son discovered his seatbelt at the back was partially torn which prompted me to check all the belts in the car. Then I discovered ALL the belts are torn!! (Pull the belts out fully) I was shocked and have contacted my local MG dealer. Hopefully get a response by Monday. I am sharing this because I feel it is a big safety issue and I want all the owners to check their seatbelts asap.

Oh.. I should state that I have driven close to 5k miles and car is 4 months old.
My MG4 is 6 months old and i have my son and his friends in the back often and seatbelts look like new still…

Attachments

• IMG_6967.jpeg
    IMG_6967.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 83
My MG4 is 6 months old and i have my son and his friends in the back often and seatbelts look like new still…
That's good. So far no other issues with any car which is great news. MG received my new belts on Friday, so only 4 days for delivery. They'll fit next week so hopefully I'll have an update for everyone soon. Cheers

Looks like your dealer is great.

Still be prepared for two months delivery time for new belts :ROFLMAO:
Only 4 days and have arrived at the dealer 🙂

Great stuff. Out of interest, which dealer is it?
The one in Rayne. Very happy with their response to this. 👍

Went out and checked mine when I saw this post all my belts are fine. The ones in the post look like single cuts which have frayed to me

Hi, My son discovered his seatbelt at the back was partially torn which prompted me to check all the belts in the car. Then I discovered ALL the belts are torn!! (Pull the belts out fully) I was shocked and have contacted my local MG dealer. Hopefully get a response by Monday. I am sharing this because I feel it is a big safety issue and I want all the owners to check their seatbelts asap.

Oh.. I should state that I have driven close to 5k miles and car is 4 months old.
That's awful!
All five of mine are pristine.
I agree with others that this looks like a deliberate act. Maybe at the factory??

There are too many places this could have happened. Thank goodness it is a singular event. We must be careful not to put blame onto those we have no reason to accuse. Whoever did this, through ignorance or malice, has more issues than we can solve here. We will never know other than to say, they have not done the same on other cars of this make.

There are too many places this could have happened. Thank goodness it is a singular event. We must be careful not to put blame onto those we have no reason to accuse. Whoever did this, through ignorance or malice, has more issues than we can solve here. We will never know other than to say, they have not done the same on other cars of this make.

There are too many people jumping to sensational conclusions here.

My money is on a problem during manufacture. Seat belts are made in long rolls and then cut to size. One faulty process can damage the whole roll (imagine slicing a loo roll - the cut will affect most sheets of that loo roll).

Obviously seat belt webbing rolls should be checked at manufacture and also during installation but corners are often cut.

Obviously you would be well advised to check your own car.

Unless we see further examples of damaged seat belts I suggest we all keep calm and carry on.

Baseless conspiracy theories devalue this very useful forum.

If any other owners find similar this it should lead to a criminal investigation. I suspect MG can trace all hands that went through each stage of build, transportation, and delivery. It would therefore be pretty easy to identify a culprit. If it's not on other cars then it will be more difficult to identify who, where and when this might have happened. Of course there may be some design fault on your car that should be easily identified by your dealer first. If neither of these explantions has happened you need to check the local locations where this might have happened.

Do you park your car regularly in public accessible locations? Has there been any other vandalism in the area? Do you lock the car or rely on the auto locking when leaving the car?

If you park on a drive can you monitor the car by a camera? Even if you park in a garage I would still use a security camera nowadays.

I hope this is resolved soon so please keep us updated and everyone check your seat belts. I'm going to do that right now.

There are too many people jumping to sensational conclusions here.

My money is on a problem during manufacture. Seat belts are made in long rolls and then cut to size. One faulty process can damage the whole roll (imagine slicing a loo roll - the cut will affect most sheets of that loo roll).

Obviously seat belt webbing rolls should be checked at manufacture and also during installation but corners are often cut.

Obviously you would be well advised to check your own car.

Unless we see further examples of damaged seat belts I suggest we all keep calm and carry on.

Baseless conspiracy theories devalue this very useful forum.
!00% agree. It appears that for some there is no such thing as an accidental blip in the manufacturing. Mistakes happen, that is what the human race is very good at doing.
The main thing is that the dealer seems to be as horrified as all of us and they seem to be doing the right thing in fixing it. Its not the problem, its how its rectified that ultimately matters.
Hope it goes well.

Collected my 4 today. New belts fitted. No sign of issues inside where the belts are housed and the torn belts are being sent to MG as part of the warranty claim. I guess that rules out a problem within the car so surely this goes back earlier in the cars assembly?? Will await to hear further news but as it stands it's still un-resolved.

At least I get my MG back. It's been too long! I miss my EV!!! Tip. Do not drive a Subaru XV Diesel. That was my courtesy car and it was a pile of 💩😂

Thanks everyone

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel