MG4 Seat Belts Torn *URGENT* *PLEASE CHECK YOURS*

ke201ga

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, My son discovered his seatbelt at the back was partially torn which prompted me to check all the belts in the car. Then I discovered ALL the belts are torn!! (Pull the belts out fully) I was shocked and have contacted my local MG dealer. Hopefully get a response by Monday. I am sharing this because I feel it is a big safety issue and I want all the owners to check their seatbelts asap.

Oh.. I should state that I have driven close to 5k miles and car is 4 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_103820.jpg
    IMG_20230422_103820.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_20230422_103806.jpg
    IMG_20230422_103806.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_20230422_103750.jpg
    IMG_20230422_103750.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_20230422_103713.jpg
    IMG_20230422_103713.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20230422_103705.jpg
    IMG_20230422_103705.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
That is absolutely horrific.

You prompted me to go out and check mine right then and there. All mine are fine (I've only had the car for nine days). Subjectively they seem to be rather different lengths, but since all of them are long enough I don't suppose that matters!

My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that they’ve been deliberately damaged. One would be unusual, but all of them is very suspicious.
But who would damage them? Only my wife and I drive the car and we just drive it as normal. Surely its a fault? Catching on something inside? I don't know... its very worrying

The third photo looks like it's definitely been done by something sharp, that doesn't look worn on anything it has a very neat edge.
I wouldn't be driving it like that

If they were like that from new, I'd have thought you'd have noticed it before now. As others have said, are you sure there's no possibility of vandalism? I don't think it's safe to drive the car like that.

But who would damage them? Only my wife and I drive the car and we just drive it as normal. Surely its a fault? Catching on something inside? I don't know... its very worrying
I would have thought that if it was catching on something then a belt would show signs of damage along its length, or at least along the part of the belt that is pulled out.

And all four catching? It seems highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Those don’t look good and I definitely wouldn’t be driving it until they’re repaired. I have noticed that the belts don’t move in and out of their holder as smoothly as belts should do, almost as if the keeper (adjuster or whatever it’s called) is a little rough around the edges, causing the belt to snag as you pull it out.

Your photos make me want to investigate this further now. Could be as simple as removing a sharp edge from the plastic, to allow the belt to move much more freely. Yours is clearly way beyond that point now though!

Edit - by the way OP, I recommend you refer this to the DVSA as this is a potentially really serious safety issue. Yours may be a one-off, but that doesn’t remove the need to make them aware of it in order that it can be investigated.

Last edited:
If they were like that from new, I'd have thought you'd have noticed it before now. As others have said, are you sure there's no possibility of vandalism? I don't think it's safe to drive the car like that.
We didn't notice because you have to pull the belts out really far to see. My son noticed it because he wraps his belt around the booster seat so it comes out a long way than all the other belts. So I have to thank my 8 year old!

Like I say, no one else has driven the car so unless it was from new then maybe. So crazy :(

Are these not checked in the PDI like when seat belts are checked during an MOT?

Otherwise how would the garage know that they can release a safe car?

If any other owners find similar this it should lead to a criminal investigation. I suspect MG can trace all hands that went through each stage of build, transportation, and delivery. It would therefore be pretty easy to identify a culprit. If it's not on other cars then it will be more difficult to identify who, where and when this might have happened. Of course there may be some design fault on your car that should be easily identified by your dealer first. If neither of these explantions has happened you need to check the local locations where this might have happened.

Do you park your car regularly in public accessible locations? Has there been any other vandalism in the area? Do you lock the car or rely on the auto locking when leaving the car?

If you park on a drive can you monitor the car by a camera? Even if you park in a garage I would still use a security camera nowadays.

I hope this is resolved soon so please keep us updated and everyone check your seat belts. I'm going to do that right now.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back