MG4 Seat Belts Torn *URGENT* *PLEASE CHECK YOURS*

First thing I'm going to check when I receive mine next month! Hope MG sort this for you quickly.
Their response will be interesting as seems to be the way, the dealer will have to escalate to MG who in turn talks to China, if previous hardware faults are anything to go by there doesn't seem to be many if any spares in the UK. All the while the car can't be driven.
Hope the pull their finger out with this one

Thanks for sharing this safety concern and thankfully you have seen this now.
Like it’s already been said we can all easily check this ourselves to remove any doubt about our cars.
let’s hope MG take this seriously and make all owners aware of this to be checked.

I’ve just checked mine and I’m glad to report they’re all as they should be. But that is very concerning and I hope MG can get to the bottom of what (or who? 😳) exactly caused this to happen on your car. It’s scary to think what might have happened.

Having now seen all your suggestions as to what has happened, I'm starting to favour a manufacturing problem.
I've presumed the belts are made by machines rattling them off by the million, not by MG I hasten to add, and are assembled by machine for all makes.
A machine goes wrong and damages a belt, say for a length of 100 metres for example but by this time there could be many belts made with the damaged belts ready to install in a car.
So, the belts are damaged, it gets seen by Quality control and seperated by them but, unfortunately at some time gets mistaken for good ones for whatever reason and supplied to the car manufacturer.
They then assume that the belts are fine and install. The belt manufacturer will be the ones to check the quality not MG, although MG will have it's name on them.
As for the variation in the belts, they could even vary in length from the front seats to the back in the same make and is special to that make only.
There could be other car models out there with the same problem as was when a lot of air bags had to be replaced because of faulty manufacturing.
Can't now wait for what the garage says. Any one else out there got any other ideas?
PS Being an old bugger with 40 years in engineering, I'm making an educated guess which knowing me will be totally wrong!:(

Obviously very serious and all owners would be well advised to check their cars. I am however surprised that conspiracy theories are being aired more than suggestions about manufacturing problems. Let’s see what response the OP gets from the dealer. This thread is worthy of the NextDoor app!

Have checked my trophy built 22/12/22 and all ok thankfully. Have checked windows religiously each time I lock it since one was down and has never done it since so I am 99% sure mine was due to knocking buttons. I was wiping door card earlier with a microfibre and the slightest brush caused one front one to lowe.

I can’t see this been a manufacturing problem, one damaged maybe (but as these are critical items, the weave will be checked via a laser scanner / person etc.) but not all 4. This is a rouge individual with mental health issues (either here or in China), in my eyes this is a criminal matter, and should be reported to the police.

Also think about reporting this to your insurance company (although they are quite variable), they may write it off (and end up on Copart), and provide you with a new car, as its within 12 months from new.

ps just dont drive it - you can't put your family at risk! ( forget the duct tape! ) - as we've had an test alert system today, personally I would hit the SOS button in the roof - as this is so much more important.

Last edited:
I can’t see this been a manufacturing problem, one damaged maybe (but as these are critical items, the weave will be checked via a laser scanner / person etc.) but not all 4. This is a rouge individual with mental health issues (either here or in China), in my eyes this is a criminal matter, and should be reported to the police.

Also think about reporting this to your insurance company (although they are quite variable), they may write it off (and end up on Copart), and provide you with a new car, as its within 12 months from new.
This sort of sensational, speculative and scaremongering post helps no one. An insurance company would not write off a car because it had damaged seat belts.

This sort of sensational, speculative and scaremongering post helps no one. An insurance company would not write off a car because it had damaged seat belts.
It may well be, but as to regards to insurance (these days, they are incentivised not by cost saving, but customer service experience), just look at Copart, I've benefitted as have a "10 day old" VW-Troc car sitting in my back garden, its still only done 1200 miles (as the MG4 has performed so well in the winter). It does happen trust me!

Last edited:

Calling your insurance isn’t a great idea either.
What seems like a harmless, prudent call will be recorded in your file and could well increase your premium just because you’ve made them jittery.

Are these not checked in the PDI like when seat belts are checked during an MOT?

Otherwise how would the garage know that they can release a safe car?

I think you’re grossly overestimating what dealers do in terms of PDI, lucky if they pull the protective film off stuff and whack the wheel trims on.
As for fully extending every seat belt to check for damage/defects.
Not a snowball’s chance in hell they do this.

Calling your insurance isn’t a great idea either.
What seems like a harmless, prudent call will be recorded in your file and could well increase your premium just because you’ve made them jittery.
... maybe, but I still do think that a call to them to say that you car has been vandalised (it dosn't affect your NCB with an initial enquiry), won't do any harm, you've only got you or your family life to lose in the event of an accident - why would you risk anything else, doesn't make sense to myself?

I think you’re grossly overestimating what dealers do in terms of PDI, lucky if they pull the protective film off stuff and whack the wheel trims on.
As for fully extending every seat belt to check for damage/defects.
Not a snowball’s chance in hell they do this.
(If I'm honest, never had a car claim, but home insurance no issues, what so ever)I agree, the PDI is done at the port of delivery (mainly number plate fitting - I tried to get a private number installed- but wasn't possible), the dealer just charges the car (I was listening to the chaps in the back upon payment), and takes off any remaining delivery stickers - mine was in & out (delivered at home) of the dealer in less than 24hrs.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Called MG this morning. They were shocked just as I and have immediately asked to bring car in for investigation. They're giving me a courtesy car whilst it gets sorted. That's all I can ask for. To get it fixed and to make sure it's not happened to anyone else. Hopefully we can find out what's going on here. Thank you to everyone whose messaged me. Cheers.

Hi everyone. Called MG this morning. They were shocked just as I and have immediately asked to bring car in for investigation. They're giving me a courtesy car whilst it gets sorted. That's all I can ask for. To get it fixed and to make sure it's not happened to anyone else. Hopefully we can find out what's going on here. Thank you to everyone whose messaged me. Cheers.
It's an unfortunate thing to have happened but it looks like you have a good dealer so fingers crossed it gets sorted quickly.

It's an unfortunate thing to have happened but it looks like you have a good dealer so fingers crossed it gets sorted quickly.
When I arrived they already had the paperwork done, parts ordered and courtesy car ready. Was quite happy with the response. Will eagerly await their investigation. Things go wrong all the time and for me it's about how it gets rectified that matters and top marks (so far) to the dealer 🙂

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back