MG4 Seat Belts Torn *URGENT* *PLEASE CHECK YOURS*

If any other owners find similar this it should lead to a criminal investigation. I suspect MG can trace all hands that went through each stage of build, transportation, and delivery. It would therefore be pretty easy to identify a culprit. If it's not on other cars then it will be more difficult to identify who, where and when this might have happened. Of course there may be some design fault on your car that should be easily identified by your dealer first. If neither of these explantions has happened you need to check the local locations where this might have happened.

Do you park your car regularly in public accessible locations? Has there been any other vandalism in the area? Do you lock the car or rely on the auto locking when leaving the car?

If you park on a drive can you monitor the car by a camera? Even if you park in a garage I would still use a security camera nowadays.

I hope this is resolved soon so please keep us updated and everyone check your seat belts. I'm going to do that right now.
I've checked all mine. They are all fine with absolutely no signs of any wear.

It's certainly a strange one, if it was catching/rubbing on something you would think there would be more damage along the length of the belt, that is moving in and out of the reel, as has been said.
Definitely not legally safe to drive now

Hi, My son discovered his seatbelt at the back was partially torn which prompted me to check all the belts in the car. Then I discovered ALL the belts are torn!! (Pull the belts out fully) I was shocked and have contacted my local MG dealer. Hopefully get a response by Monday. I am sharing this because I feel it is a big safety issue and I want all the owners to check their seatbelts asap.

Oh.. I should state that I have driven close to 5k miles and car is 4 months ol

ooks to be intentional damage. My money is on a disgruntled employee at the factory. Clearly not inspected before solid.
Hi, My son discovered his seatbelt at the back was partially torn which prompted me to check all the belts in the car. Then I discovered ALL the belts are torn!! (Pull the belts out fully) I was shocked and have contacted my local MG dealer. Hopefully get a response by Monday. I am sharing this because I feel it is a big safety issue and I want all the owners to check their seatbelts asap.

Oh.. I should state that I have driven close to 5k miles and car is 4 months old.
Looks to be intentional damage. My money is on a disgruntled employee at the factory. Clearly not inspected before sold. Seatbelts don’t ‘wear’ like this.

It's certainly a strange one, if it was catching/rubbing on something you would think there would be more damage along the length of the belt, that is moving in and out of the reel, as has been said.
Definitely not legally safe to drive now
Unfortunately they look like they have been deliberately damaged in an area that would not normally be visible. Hopefully not a disgruntled worker as they may have done more like this. I hope that I'm wrong.

Been thinking about this one. Logically, it can't be usage as it is too new to wear out. It can't be vandalism by the car being unattended/unlocked as why would someone damage the belts and not damage other stuff as well?
That now leaves two definite options. Either the owner has damaged them either deliberately or accidentally, or, as some have suggested, someone in the factory has fitted them for whatever reason. Was it because lack of parts? Could it have been a worker(s) with a gripe? Why didn't the garage find it on their PDI?
For what reason would the belts be self damaged when the owner loves the car? If the car is on finance he looses out big time. If he has bought the car outright, he looses out big time. It can only mean that the car was supplied faulty by the garage.
In my view this is as serious as it gets and agree that this should go up the highest in the MG company as this could be disasterous for them if they deny any wrongdoing. Wow, I am shocked.
Went straight out to check my MG4 Short Range [bought November 22] and all is well. Very good drive, avraging 4.1, infotainment flakey.

Last edited:
Been thinking about this one. Logically, it can't be usage as it is too new to wear out. It can't be vandalism by the car being unattended/unlocked as why would someone damage the belts and not damage other stuff as well?
That now leaves two definite options. Either the owner has damaged them either deliberately or accidentally, or, as some have suggested, someone in the factory has fitted them for whatever reason. Was it because lack of parts? Could it have been a worker(s) with a gripe? Why didn't the garage find it on their PDI?
For what reason would the belts be self damaged when the owner loves the car? If the car is on finance he looses out big time. If he has bought the car outright, he looses out big time. It can only mean that the car was supplied faulty by the garage.
In my view this is as serious as it gets and agree that this should go up the highest in the MG company as this could be disasterous for them if they deny any wrongdoing. Wow, I am shocked.
Went straight out to check my MG4 Short Range [bought November 22] and all is well. Very good drive, avraging 4.1, infotainment flakey.
I am so shocked at this I really am. I own the car outright. Spent all my savings on it and drive my family around everyday. I've nothing to gain by vandalizing my own car and putting my children at risk. The car is great. Can't fault it apart from the oddities of the infotainment! So this is really troubling me. I'll obviously await MGs views on this and what action they will take. I'll not drive it until then. Thanks everyone for your input.

It's absolutely horrific. It looks deliberate. It obviously wasn't you and unless you have a psycho somewhere in your family with access to the car then it wasn't your family. If the car hasn't been unlocked in a public place it's hard to see how it could be random vandalism.

That, as Sherlock Holmes would say, leaves the possibility that this happened in the factory looking somewhat probable.

It's absolutely horrific. It looks deliberate. It obviously wasn't you and unless you have a psycho somewhere in your family with access to the car then it wasn't your family. If the car hasn't been unlocked in a public place it's hard to see how it could be random vandalism.

That, as Sherlock Holmes would say, leaves the possibility that this happened in the factory looking somewhat probable.
Factory, docks (both ends of journey) boat, transport or dealer

Just checked my blue Trophy and all is ok.
I can see that damage could be caused to the rear belts if they got caught in the rear seat latching mechanism but that would be clearly visable, this unfortunately looks like sabotage somewhere in its manufacturing and delivery journey.
I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Good point about the docks and the transport and sitting around in the dealer's premises.

Sabotage is the right word. To pull the belts so far out to cut them and then let them reel in so that the damage would be permanently out of sight is the work of a psychopath. I reckon you can be grateful that you use a child seat so that the belt was pulled out further than it would have been by a regular adult passenger. If the car had only been used to carry adults, how would you ever have seen that?

There's no way this was accidental. Four seat belts affected in one car, and all of them cut so far back that the cuts wouldn't be seen when being used by an adult? No chance. (Was the centre belt in the back seat cut too? I don't see a pic of that.)

I have some thoughts about this ! someone wants to Harm MG reputation , but the one how did this cutting needs to be put in jail for attempted murder in case of car accident .
I can not believe this came so out of factory. I hope for you the cardealer gone replace them for you for free ?

The cuts seem to be of different lengths. Another theory is that the roll of seat belt material had been damaged while still on the roll and before the belts were made up. Perhaps the worker had cut the protective covering off the roll with a sharp knife nicking the seatbelt before it was fed into the cassettes. A sharp cut wouldn't necessarily be noticeable especially if you had to make up a set of belts in a short time frame.

Oh.. I should state that I have driven close to 5k miles and car is 4 months old.
Thank goodness you found out before being involved in any kind of accident in which these seatbelts might have failed. They should definitely be replaced by your dealer. I just wonder how on earth they passed inspection. 😳

Regarding PDI etc....

I'm an ex-saleman from years ago and worked with several companies and see many a car getting PDI'd and not once did i see a seatbelt getting pulled fully retracted to have it checked. They usually if anything just got a tug to to see if it pulls out and if it locks up, then retracted back, and as i said, if that....

Have you noticed the window down when you went back to the car at all?

Windows dropping after you lock it has been a common fault on MG4s, I wonder if someone was able to get in through the window and cut them?

Have you noticed the window down when you went back to the car at all?

Windows dropping after you lock it has been a common fault on MG4s, I wonder if someone was able to get in through the window and cut them?
I think alot of the windows dropping were inadvertent brushes of buttons getting out the car.
Even if one window was down that's a big leap to get in the car and being able to get to all four belts and fully extend them and damage them. Surely someone messing about inside the car like that would activate the alarm, I take it it has sensors within?

I think alot of the windows dropping were inadvertent brushes of buttons getting out the car.
Even if one window was down that's a big leap to get in the car and being able to get to all four belts and fully extend them and damage them. Surely someone messing about inside the car like that would activate the alarm, I take it it has sensors within?
There are no sensors inside the car.

I agree even if the windows were open they'd have to climb through it to get to the other belts as the doors would be deadlocked and then climb out through the widow again

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back