MG4 seat quality

wandle MG4 trophy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
There’s a lot of comment (particularly on Facebook) about the poor quality of stitching and finishing of the seats. There’s comment too about comfort but comfort is personal and subjective.

Decent (and expensive) tailored seat covers would help with the aesthetics but I don’t think MG make them. Any recommendations please for companies that make good covers?

As background I fitted Nissan’s official covers to my Juke and 9 years on they still look good. I’ll be selling the car when I get my MG but am nervous about taking the covers off in case dust has filtered through and worn or marked the seats in uneven patterns.

had my test drive yesterday and pick mine up Friday, I was impressed with the car as a whole but the seats whilst soft and comfy didn’t look like they will hold up well.

I’ll be keen to get some seat covers too.

had my test drive yesterday and pick mine up Friday, I was impressed with the car as a whole but the seats whilst soft and comfy didn’t look like they will hold up well.

Hi Dan,

Are you getting it from Eric Stead’s? What are you getting. I am off there this morning for a look although I have an order placed with a different MG garage.

Hi Dan,

Are you getting it from Eric Stead’s? What are you getting. I am off there this morning for a look although I have an order placed with a different MG garage.
I’ve not gone through stead’s, I already had placed my order with Maple MG in hull as they were free / no deposit to order from and they had some cars coming in October.

I then got a tip off that Newcastle had a cancelled order MG in stock ready to go, so I’ve jumped at that and collecting Friday.

I went for a test drive locally just to ensure it was the right car for me before travelling all the way to Newcastle.

I’ve not gone through stead’s, I already had placed my order with Maple MG in hull as they were free / no deposit to order from and they had some cars coming in October.

I then got a tip off that Newcastle had a cancelled order MG in stock ready to go, so I’ve jumped at that and collecting Friday.

I went for a test drive locally just to ensure it was the right car for me before travelling all the way to Newcastle.
It will be a great ride home and you won’t have to stop to charge 😀

I had my test drive yesterday and found the seats in SE to be soft and squishy but comfortable. Although the actual seat fabric felt quite thin, and with kids might get damaged easily.

What I forgot to check was if there was any airbags built into the front seat backs which is the case with many manufacturers and thus will make fitting seat covers impossible.

I've just ordered a SE std range in white blind from Novuna for a November delivery and will be likely cancelling my ZS order with Vanarama because of the ongoing delivery issues. however the seat issue does concern me a little. I'm coming out of a Seat Arona FR which has quite firm seats with high side bolsters which have lasted really well over the three years and 48000 miles that I've had the car.
I'm going to trawl the local dealerships to see if anyone has got an SE in stock and if the seats are too horrific will think again.

There’s a lot of comment (particularly on Facebook) about the poor quality of stitching and finishing of the seats. There’s comment too about comfort but comfort is personal and subjective.

Decent (and expensive) tailored seat covers would help with the aesthetics but I don’t think MG make them. Any recommendations please for companies that make good covers?

As background I fitted Nissan’s official covers to my Juke and 9 years on they still look good. I’ll be selling the car when I get my MG but am nervous about taking the covers off in case dust has filtered through and worn or marked the seats in uneven patterns.
I haven't read the facebook comments but is it possible that they are regarding preproduction vehicles that have been released for reviews and testing?
Some of the specs of the test cars seem to be a little "off" i.e Trophy specs with body coloured roofs etc?

Hmm. Got to admit. This is the one major concern of mine. I have a 2018 Leaf and the seats seem firmer and more durable than the MG4s. Worth cancelling my order over?

The seats are definitely soft and coming from a VW-group car which are firm, they feel very different. But they seemed quite comfortable, couldn't tell from a test drive how they would be on a long journey.

Some people are concerned about the thickness of the material, quality of the stitching and longevity but I don't know how any of us can tell until someone has done a ton of miles in one.

I just felt that they compressed to nothing. the side bolsters on the seat base just felt like soft sponge - not giving any support.

Wouldn't think so. Very plush and comfy, Citroen style. From my experience an hour ago.
Yeah, I would agree with that, and also a Nissan Bluebird I had many, many moons ago. 😁

I do think that they are the best quality out there. Guess time will tell re: durability.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel