MG4 Secret Menu Mode...

I was only looking through it ,never edited anything.
There isn't actually much in there to change.

Just don't reset the car!! lol
Who know what that'll do.....
If fact, it might resolve all the issues! Switch it off and on and all that! :D

Thanks for the screenshots @pd2! Very interesting. A couple of points to derive from the screenshots:
  • Oddly (or not so much, observing how Chinese companies work) the infotainment software recognise itself as a ZS EV. Anyone knows if the versions of the ZS EV infotainment and the one on MG4 match? Unless this changes, I can't see the FOTA upgrades happening anytime soon.
  • The system seems to be Android based. Two facts point to this: the naming scheme of the satnav app, and the existence of an ADB switch (stands for Android Debug Bridge, unless SAIC uses another abbreviation).
Please, excuse my ignorance if this is common knowledge already and I am just stating the obvious here. :giggle:

Thanks for the screenshots @pd2! Very interesting. A couple of points to derive from the screenshots:
  • Oddly (or not so much, observing how Chinese companies work) the infotainment software recognise itself as a ZS EV. Anyone knows if the versions of the ZS EV infotainment and the one on MG4 match? Unless this changes, I can't see the FOTA upgrades happening anytime soon.
  • The system seems to be Android based. Two facts point to this: the naming scheme of the satnav app, and the existence of an ADB switch (stands for Android Debug Bridge, unless SAIC uses another abbreviation).
Please, excuse my ignorance if this is common knowledge already and I am just stating the obvious here. :giggle:
If we turn on ADB we would be able to connect a laptop and possibly install/remove apps and change android settings (don't do unless you know what you are doing!!!)

Talks about change brightness of screen, we could see what the current setting is for informational purposes

I'm away on holiday but I'll have a go when I'm back

It would be good to be able to turn the brightness down, although I did note you can do this on voice command recently. Perhaps even a few customisations (changing widgets or backgrounds etc).

If we turn on ADB we would be able to connect a laptop and possibly install/remove apps and change android settings (don't do unless you know what you are doing!!!)

Talks about change brightness of screen, we could see what the current setting is for informational purposes

I'm away on holiday but I'll have a go when I'm back
That's one of the main things I was planning to do when I get my car 😇

I am not sure if I would risk changing anything permanently (like installing apps), as this seems like a heavily modified system. But in theory we can also get our hands on existing apps of the infotainment and learn a few more things about it (e.g., maybe figure out canbus PIDs to use with an OBD dongle). Let's see if this is the case, though.

Anyone found a way to get to the Engineer menu in an SE SR? (The guides all seem to be for the Trophy/Luxury ... tapping on the noted item in my SE SR does nothing).

Guru, when I tapped on the Entertainment System Version it beeps with every tap before opening the secret menu, but for example, if a tap on Telecommunication’s Version below it, it doesn’t beep. So looks like the beep indicates there something actionable.

The fact that operating system is android based is a good news. That means I’ll be able to instal apps like YouTube and Netflix.

When I signed into Amazon music, it reported this info to me - android 9 tablet 😂
Screenshot_20221222-142432__01.jpg

Not sure why it said Sweden, unless it's running a VPN 🙄

I wonder what the code for the secret menu is! 🤪

Seriously, good news that this is verified to be an Android based system. I wonder if we'd be able to install certain apps (e.g. Spotify) and use them directly from the infotainment. A bit odd that it's based on such an old version of Android, but unfortunately that's common in these systems.

When I signed into Amazon music, it reported this info to me - android 9 tablet 😂View attachment 14043

Not sure why it said Sweden, unless it's running a VPN 🙄

The Text Messages for activating the app with a phone number also come from a Swedish number. So can only assume they are using Swedish based servers for the European and UK operation

Be cautious as it might invalidate the warranty and the dealer might refuse to update the software
Yes, I am aware of that and, of course, I would expect that any regular users would want to tinker with that. I think it would have been extreme, though, to void your warranty. I am not sure if they would bother checking what's installed under the hood and, the system being an Android, I suppose the upgrade functionality won't be bothered by what's installed in the system.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back