MG4 Should I get one? What’s the consensus from owners and those waiting?

A quick update from me. Since placing my deposit last December I’ve had to do all the chasing for updates. Right from the start when the deposit was taken twice in error the dealer has not been great.
I know that this is not necessarily just MG but symptomatic of the general standards in some dealerships.
I’m now on the cusp of cancelling my MG4 order.
There’s no sign of the car or indeeed any update on build etc etc. I need something, as I’m not just hanging on in the hope that I might get a car anytime. The other factor is of course after sales quality of service. If at sales they can’t get it right then I’m concerned how bad it could get once the car is delivered.
I’m sleeping on it but I’m afraid another cancellation is on the cards.
Shame because the MG4 has huge potential.
I picked up my MG4 yesterday. No issues with the car, took about 2 hours for them to register it for tax though which was a pain. Whilst I was at the dealers a transporter packed with MG4 Trophy’s was unloaded. Seemed to be a reasonable supply of cars.

I picked up my MG4 yesterday. No issues with the car, took about 2 hours for them to register it for tax though which was a pain. Whilst I was at the dealers a transporter packed with MG4 Trophy’s was unloaded. Seemed to be a reasonable supply of cars.
Thanks. I hope that you enjoy your new car.
I am frustrated that MG cannot even tell me if the car has been built, or has a build slot. It might be in transit, it might not even have been built yet. I’m not looking for miracles just to know where we are so that we can plan accordingly. Plus, I expect a certain level of customer service.
If I don’t get it I go elsewhere.

Thanks. I hope that you enjoy your new car.
I am frustrated that MG cannot even tell me if the car has been built, or has a build slot. It might be in transit, it might not even have been built yet. I’m not looking for miracles just to know where we are so that we can plan accordingly. Plus, I expect a certain level of customer service.
If I don’t get it I go elsewhere.
It does look as if the promised switch to build to order from Jan didn't take place. My dealer said the new ordering system (that shut deliveries for 2 weeks in Feb) had the potential to be a lot better than the old one but right now was actually less useful as it is harder to use. Sounded very much like they are going in the right direction but slowly.

It does look as if the promised switch to build to order from Jan didn't take place. My dealer said the new ordering system (that shut deliveries for 2 weeks in Feb) had the potential to be a lot better than the old one but right now was actually less useful as it is harder to use. Sounded very much like they are going in the right direction but slowly.
To be better than the old system is not a hard target to hit. At the moment it’s not happening.

Last edited:
A quick update from me. Since placing my deposit last December I’ve had to do all the chasing for updates. Right from the start when the deposit was taken twice in error the dealer has not been great.
I know that this is not necessarily just MG but symptomatic of the general standards in some dealerships.
There’s no sign of the car or indeeed any update on build etc etc. I need something, as I’m not just hanging on in the hope that I might get a car anytime. The other factor is of course after sales quality of service. If at sales they can’t get it right then I’m concerned how bad it could get once the car is delivered.
My dealer experience was poor, like yours, but the car itself is extremely good - had an ICE Nissan SUV courtesy car (petrol manual) for a few weeks recently and it was like being transported back to the dark ages. Having to change gear seems so primitive, all the jerkiness and slow pick up associated with that kind of car. I was so happy to get my MG4 back.

That said, I might be moving overseas soon for work, so if you want to buy mine off me (SE Long Range, white, 3600 miles), let me know!

My dealer experience was poor, like yours, but the car itself is extremely good - had an ICE Nissan SUV courtesy car (petrol manual) for a few weeks recently and it was like being transported back to the dark ages. Having to change gear seems so primitive, all the jerkiness and slow pick up associated with that kind of car. I was so happy to get my MG4 back.

That said, I might be moving overseas soon for work, so if you want to buy mine off me (SE Long Range, white, 3600 miles), let me know!
Thanks. I think part of the ‘delay’ is caused by going with the 🍊 orange car.

Would it not be easier to find from stock somewhere in the country and just let your local dealer stew in their own sleepy indifference?

There was certainly a dealer rep on FaceAche just two max three days ago listing their unallocated stock. I think they had about 12 available. He was explaining the more a dealership sold the more stock they were sent. As we don't order the 4 with a list of options, an ordered car and a stock car are the same?

Admittedly they were all SEs.

We've had our SE SR four and a half months / 4,000 miles now and I still love it (I can find the odd minor niggle if pushed). The only thing I miss from the top of the range topper is a reversing camera, all the other differences are just fluff that I'm glad I didn't pay £6,000 for. With the benefit of hindsight I'm glad we went SR as well. Most of our miles have come from beyond range journeys, anyway I read you're not new to EVs, so you know all about long journeys.

I'd promote an SE SR from stock.

Good luck with your dilemma.

Come join me, let's have a chat 😉

Had mine (SE Long Range) for a similar time to @NickHeynes , absolutely love it. Second EV, first was a Zoe, build and ride quality IMO is far superior, feels like a quality car. No issues to speak of, but some idiosyncrasies as others have pointed out, such as patchy/ temperamental connections to the infotainment system. I hate the absence of a rear window wiper, and I really don't like that you can't schedule the auto AC (and won't work if not actively charging), plus the MG app is really poor in my experience, and usually 'fails' when I try to activate the auto AC or battery heating.

The car is about 30cm wider than a lot of competitors and I personally really notice it, esp on the single-lane windy roads in Warwickshire.

The auto cruise control with traffic jam assist is close to self-driving and feels like magic - gets very snotty with you tho if it thinks you don't have both hands on the wheel when activated, which is understandable.

Love the colour of the Trophy but personally prefer the SE long range really, not sure the 'extras' are worth it, manufacturer GPS is always spotty, don't care about heated seats, etc.
Agree with you about the app it is poor, and being of that age would prefer a paper copy of the manual😁

Agree with you about the app it is poor, and being of that age would prefer a paper copy of the manual😁
@Sloucher is doing paper copies of manuals.

i can vouch for him they are decent copies and like you a prefer manuals this way.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back