MG4 Software Update Thread

Software companies learned long ago that you want all your users on the latest (or near latest) versions**, it makes support so much easier, and behaviour consistent. As a car nowadays is just a computer on wheels, I do not understand why MG do not take this onboard.

** Standard support question #1 - What version are you running?
Standard follow-up - Upgrade to the latest version and if you still have the problem get back to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had the year 1 service and the following updates RC008 , SC47, SCUK001. No R46 unfortunately but have raised this with the dealer, evidently it's not a 'campaign' update so therefore they don't automatically do it. I have requested it specifically so I'll see what their response is. Any ideas what the other 3 are though? Here's my current system configs..

Attachments

• PXL_20231228_173524937.jpg
    PXL_20231228_173524937.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 361
RC008 was the locking in recall ... mine was done almost 12 months ago (January 2023)! The other items can be seen in this post:

RC008 was the locking in recall ... mine was done almost 12 months ago (January 2023)! The other items can be seen in this post:

What is EVCC and FDR for? I know I got the BCM last time, no mentioning EVCC or FDR.

As I replied to you the last time you asked 🙄 I. DON'T. KNOW. The service garage deemed they were necessary per MG's service campaign.

Does the recent updates fix bluetooth connectivity issues? My Phone is hit or miss whether it's remembered or not and I have just given up as I had reconnected it over 10 times.

Does the recent updates fix bluetooth connectivity issues? My Phone is hit or miss whether it's remembered or not and I have just given up as I had reconnected it over 10 times.
On my R46 infotainment I usually lose BT connection after 1-2 weeks and I have to do everything over again

As this is a thread about the MG4, in the MG4 board, I feel owners of other models need to be clear if they also own an MG4 and are talking about that. Taken in isolation, @Able25's post doesn't make sense as their profile shows a ZS EV.

Have had my MG4 SE LR for 9 months with no dealer contact regarding software, so I'm on the initial versions (see attached).

Am I missing any significant improvements or fixes?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG20231231113320.jpg
    IMG20231231113320.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 344
Have had my MG4 SE LR for 9 months with no dealer contact regarding software, so I'm on the initial versions (see attached).

Am I missing any significant improvements or fixes?

Thanks.
You are missing some improvements and fixes - but they are only really significant if anything is buggy or broken that you currently use, so you will have to be the judge of the significance.

Certainly there are no major upgrades or new features, MG appear to focus almost all their attention on bug fixes.

They don't publish any information - we have to figure out here what has changed with each release.

If there's nothing wrong with your car, I wouldn't touch it as upgrades can always introduce new bugs.

Happy new year to all.

Now my question.

I took delivery of my Trophy lr just before Xmas, and have been getting to know it ever since. The infotainment system has been delivered with R40. Does anyone know where this release comes from and should I go back to the dealer and ask for the update to R46?
Also is there any where that gives a definitive list of the latest versions of the other software modules mpu, mcu etc.

Thanks

Happy new year to all.

Now my question.

I took delivery of my Trophy lr just before Xmas, and have been getting to know it ever since. The infotainment system has been delivered with R40.
Yes, that is normal.
Does anyone know where this release comes from and should I go back to the dealer and ask for the update to R46?
It comes from MG. For some reason they are only letting dealers install R46 when the customer has a warranty issue with an earlier release (eg bluetooth trouble).

Updates are not free, have to be applied by the dealer and are supposedly included in the annual service but in practice because they are time-consuming (manual process) to apply, some dealers skip them or install the minimum set only.

Also is there any where that gives a definitive list of the latest versions of the other software modules mpu, mcu etc.
Unfortunately nobody has this information including the dealers. MG keep it very secret.

There are definitely things wrong that R33 fixes, but they may not be things that Logan has noticed or is worried about.
Thanks to you and tsedge for your replies.

The main problems I see relate to the infamous lka, and also intermittent failure of auto hold, also the resetting of configuration each power cycle is a pain.

Other than that, nothing that's a significant problem for me.

Ps I've also had one erroneous slamming on of the brakes due to the front collision system, which was not well received!

Thanks to you and tsedge for your replies.

The main problems I see relate to the infamous lka, and also intermittent failure of auto hold, also the resetting of configuration each power cycle is a pain.

Other than that, nothing that's a significant problem for me.

Ps I've also had one erroneous slamming on of the brakes due to the front collision system, which was not well received!
Systems like LKA and Autohold are not part of the infotainment updates - there are separate car module updates for those (and many other systems).

The infotainment version number is just for the centre screen functions like Car Play / AA, sat nav (has separate map updates), radio, AC controls, settings etc...

There have definitely been many updates to a variety of car modules since launch and definitely some that affect LKA, not sure about autohold.

It is generally not possible to see what car module versions you have (with a few exceptions on the engineering menus) and we don't know most of the updates - some forum members have received info on specific upgrades their dealers did but there's no way to know if you already have them.

The best way to get car module updates is to report problems to your dealer and ask them to be investigated and fixed under warranty.

I've just been in to my local dealer (Lincoln, UK) to see if there's an update yet for the LKA twitch. They checked and said there are no campaigns at the moment. Owners won't automatically be told, we have to keep contacting them periodically to ask. They are reluctant to run any kind of update unless they really have to as it can brick the car and the head unit would then have to be sent away to MG to be reset.

(2023 MG4 SE LR, MPU Ver SWI69-29958-1100R16, MCU Ver 69.3.5.0).

Just out of interest, what am I missing out on if I'm still on R16?

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel