MG4 Software Update Thread

There's corner-cutting, and then there's completely dropping the ball. Removing a feature which even the most cheapo cars have had for at least ten years, and which is arguably safety-critical, is in the latter category.

Yes agreed. I like to remain positive that MG will IDC. Overall I think it's a cracking car for the money but a weird omission non the less.

I am concerned that owners are not taking these issues up with MG. If they don't get complaints, then they won't do anything. They were quick enough to add the rear wiper and extra headrest because prospective buyers were voicing concerns that these were expected but not present.

They need to be told that owners expect an external temperature sensor, a radio that stays off when it's turned off, a USB music player that works, the ability to turn off the auto-locking, an HVAC control panel that allows you to set the temperature you want rather than having to go 5 degrees higher, headlights that stay off in broad daylight, and all the rest.

I am concerned that owners are not taking these issues up with MG. If they don't get complaints, then they won't do anything. They were quick enough to add the rear wiper and extra headrest because prospective buyers were voicing concerns that these were expected but not present.

They need to be told that owners expect an external temperature sensor, a radio that stays off when it's turned off, a USB music player that works, the ability to turn off the auto-locking, an HVAC control panel that allows you to set the temperature you want rather than having to go 5 degrees higher, headlights that stay off in broad daylight, and all the rest.

The problem is MG does not care, so many have spoken to MG and you get fobbed off. I honestly hate my car and it’s not the car it the company causing so much stress.

That's a real shame. Have you tried going directly to MG about the software issues such as the temperature readout

You take pot luck with the dealers but you can guarantee MG UK are useless and don't care, any customer service team that is contacted about a fault and answers "speak to your dealer, we only sell them the car" tells you everything you need to know about them. Useless is probably being kind!

You take pot luck with the dealers but you can guarantee MG UK are useless and don't care, any customer service team that is contacted about a fault and answers "speak to your dealer, we only sell them the car" tells you everything you need to know about them. Useless is probably being kind!
Well they're certainly not very Smart. ;)

I had heard that was still the case on R21. They really need to get this fixed. What use is the app if you're driving and the temperature falls below freezing? You need to know. This is a safety issue.
I'm on the R21 software and I can confirm I don't have a external temperature display and never in my life did I have a car that couldn't do it. Driving me bonkers

What is this obsession about the outside temperature. I can't remember when I last looked at the outside temperature display in the car.
It's not a safety issue because I know how hot or cold it is outside when I open the front door and I know if it's icy because it's cold and my feet will slip on the ground, and once in the car who cares?
My car has climate control to make the interior hotter or colder independent to what the temperature is outside.
If you are that obsessed about the exterior temperature either get a good weather app on your phone or set up your own private weather station in your garden.
To be honest I'd prefer to read Leni16 and bowfer complaining about the car and how much better other EV manufacturers are.

Rant over 😁

What is this obsession about the outside temperature. I can't remember when I last looked at the outside temperature display in the car.
It's not a safety issue because I know how hot or cold it is outside when I open the front door and I know if it's icy because it's cold and my feet will slip on the ground, and once in the car who cares?
My car has climate control to make the interior hotter or colder independent to what the temperature is outside.
If you are that obsessed about the exterior temperature either get a good weather app on your phone or set up your own private weather station in your garden.
To be honest I'd prefer to read Leni16 and bowfer complaining about the car and how much better other EV manufacturers are.

Rant over 😁
Its essential when you live in colder areas of the country, You can hit areas of very low temperatures where black ice is forming without any external indicators, having the ability to monitor what is happening to the outside temp becomes a very important safety issue.

Rant over 😁
Cheers pal👍

Despite Miles claiming that the display should never have been able to show the exterior temperature the car has to know otherwise the bong that goes off at 4° wouldn't work.

Not sure whether to get it updated when it's serviced as there are pros and cons to both...

Seriously, you need to complain about this, and cite it as a safety issue. I haven't had a car that didn't do it for 25 years, and my MG4 does do it. This is not good enough.
@Rolfe have you complained to MG (dealer and customer services) about this and what did they say?

Despite Miles claiming that the display should never have been able to show the exterior temperature the car has to know otherwise the bong that goes off at 4° wouldn't work.

Not sure whether to get it updated when it's serviced as there are pros and cons to both...
The car has the sensor, it’s at the bottom of the car where the cooling vent are

This was posted on the Facebook group by Miles Roberts (an MG dealer)

Outside temp display has never been part of the SE spec. However, the first batch of vehicles we received in the UK had the wrong FICM software installed which showed an outside temp display in the FICM status bar.
This outside temp display never actually worked, it was actually showing random data.

All of these early cars should have been updated before release to customer but obviously some dealers didn’t bother and hence pictures appeared on user forums showing the display.
This quite simply seems like hogwash to be honest. I can only assume that this is information that MG wants its dealers to pass on to customers in the hope of reducing complaints and saving them time having to recode their software systems.

The outside temperature display in mine is and always has been accurately displaying temperatures. If anything it’s the interior display that generates the more random numbers, as it’s always been 5 or 6 degrees higher than reality!

Rant over 😁
Well, that is not SEAT's view on this, likely other car manufactures too, SEAT describe it as a "significant safety feature". Whilst yes, we can all read with our senses when weather conditions are less than favourable for driving, the point is a constant reminder when you are driving a car in such conditions.

In ice cars the external temperature sensor was so the cars engine management system could adjust the air/fuel mixture to suit conditions, the addition of an internal readout for the driver was a cheap way of enhancing the cars spec/appeal . EV s need to know the battery temperature which could be different to the air temperature . To add a specific system just to tell the driver the outside temp costs, and then again needs to accurate or potential litigation could arise. So its unneeded and gone. On the up side I and others have mentioned the need for more driver awareness/accountability so it good MG are listening. I sense a hornets nest!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back