MG4 Software Update Thread

Now, and to stay on topic so I don’t get shot down in flames 😉. I’m about to call dealer to see if they can update a V1 Trophy software to one pedal driving, might help me sell it quicker.
Will be intersting to know what Halesworth think (since I use them for my updates too). Couple weeks ago I asked about R46 (just after the first mention of it here) and they hadn't heard anything yet but have said they'll let me know when any updates are available.

This thread has lost its way. I suggest it be closed and two separate threads opened in its place: one for SE software updates and one for Trophy.
Perhaps a good idea though I don’t think it’s the threads fault, the amount of off topic posting here and in other threads is huge. So, my journey with MG is at an end. I’m now logging out and moving on, wish you all much enjoyment with your cars.

Y

You are all going to get a row!!

My software is brilliant compared to the mgs, love OTA updates and I fell my tyres are really good although they are 20's I also have an outside temp gauge!

@Crawfyp how do you find your Tesla compared to the MG4😉
I like to hear this @Leni16 I think it provides a real life benchmark as to where things should be, such as the infotainment system being updated OTA
When I was at my dealership last, he updated mine from R30 to R33 in 5 minutes flat using a USB stick. So doing this OTA should be easily achieveable for MG

I like to hear this @Leni16 I think it provides a real life benchmark as to where things should be, such as the infotainment system being updated OTA
When I was at my dealership last, he updated mine from R30 to R33 in 5 minutes flat using a USB stick. So doing this OTA should be easily achieveable for MG
At the risk of getting accused of trolling again, it's not just infotainment that is done OTA I've had an electric motor update done also.

At the risk of getting accused of trolling again, it's not just infotainment that is done OTA I've had an electric motor update done also.
Trolling... LOL.... Now that is interesting, so firmware updates too. To me that shows that Renault are doing some proper testing before releasing an update into 'production'. MG should be taking a leaf out of their book IMHO.

These seem to be particular bugbears on the Trophy. I've never had my bluetooth unpair, ever. Try contacting MG directly. If a lot of individual owners bug them, somebody might take some notice.

(Does your LKA come on while you're driving even though you switched it off? That seems to be another Trophy thing.)

Hey there, first message here, got an mg4 luxury (= trophy) not so long ago.

I had the bluetooth unpair a couple of time, also lost the music that was playing from the phone without bluetooth unpairing, but it really was a disconnect. IMHO, there is a bug in the bluetooth stack that crashes it and the system restarts it afterward.

As far as the LKA goes, I noticed the option on mine only pops up in the menu after I press the brake pedal ... and it turns on by itself again if I ever press the parking button. I hate that thing so much. There is a road that I need to take to go to a friend, that is too small to have a car on both side of the central line. There is no side line. The first time I got there, i had to fight for over a mile with the steering wheel as the car tried to run itself off the road all the time. How stupid could MG be to base LKA on central line only ? How could they not disable it when there is no side lane ? Or when the car cant measure the road width ?

I am a software engineer, working on embedded systems. I cant believe this kind of crap is even pushed to production. It should have never passed any internal quality testing.

I also happened to have very slow system starting when leaving work, to the point I get system errors. It even created a HT battery error, that prevented me from charging, or even moving. All I had to do was wait ... and I could not use ismart either. It could not connect.

I think the latter is specific to the luxury as it has a LTE/4G digital radio. It probably is desperately trying to connect to something and retries without any timeout set, so the whole system get slowed by the retries until a watchdog expires and resets it. This is a mistake you make the first time you try to code a system that needs to connect to another, and that is an easy fix ... again, i cant believe MG employs people that can do that kind of mistake, AND not spot it during testing. Unless there is no testing.

Anyway ... I highly suspect the luxury / trophy disconnect and slowing issues are caused by those two. I doubt MG is going to accept, but i'll try contacting them and see if they want me to work on it ...

Trolling... LOL.... Now that is interesting, so firmware updates too. To me that shows that Renault are doing some proper testing before releasing an update into 'production'. MG should be taking a leaf out of their book IMHO.
Yes, the Renault system is a good way to do things, they haven't reinvented the wheel (like Tesla or VW) and I think they will do well from it.

Hopefully other makers like MG will copy it but I suspect any big change will be on a future generation of products since we have now is already a new tech platform for MG.

Yes, the Renault system is a good way to do things, they haven't reinvented the wheel (like Tesla or VW) and I think they will do well from it.

Hopefully other makers like MG will copy it but I suspect any big change will be on a future generation of products since we have now is already a new tech platform for MG.
Remember that Renault use Android Automotive for driver-facing software in the Megane, instead of anything they knitted themselves.

can anyone with R33 on a Trophy tell me if it adds in the phone battery icon on Apple CarPlay? It doesn't show on mine running R30. I am off for a couple of weeks so going to ring the dealer tomorrow and get it booked in for an update to R33, LKA nearly sent me across a lane into an on coming car today...which was nice.

can anyone with R33 on a Trophy tell me if it adds in the phone battery icon on Apple CarPlay? It doesn't show on mine running R30. I am off for a couple of weeks so going to ring the dealer tomorrow and get it booked in for an update to R33, LKA nearly sent me across a lane into an on coming car today...which was nice.
I know that R24 shows the battery on Android Auto (which I know doesn't help you at all!)

Hey there, first message here, got an mg4 luxury (= trophy) not so long ago.

I had the bluetooth unpair a couple of time, also lost the music that was playing from the phone without bluetooth unpairing, but it really was a disconnect. IMHO, there is a bug in the bluetooth stack that crashes it and the system restarts it afterward.

As far as the LKA goes, I noticed the option on mine only pops up in the menu after I press the brake pedal ... and it turns on by itself again if I ever press the parking button. I hate that thing so much. There is a road that I need to take to go to a friend, that is too small to have a car on both side of the central line. There is no side line. The first time I got there, i had to fight for over a mile with the steering wheel as the car tried to run itself off the road all the time. How stupid could MG be to base LKA on central line only ? How could they not disable it when there is no side lane ? Or when the car cant measure the road width ?

I am a software engineer, working on embedded systems. I cant believe this kind of crap is even pushed to production. It should have never passed any internal quality testing.

I also happened to have very slow system starting when leaving work, to the point I get system errors. It even created a HT battery error, that prevented me from charging, or even moving. All I had to do was wait ... and I could not use ismart either. It could not connect.

I think the latter is specific to the luxury as it has a LTE/4G digital radio. It probably is desperately trying to connect to something and retries without any timeout set, so the whole system get slowed by the retries until a watchdog expires and resets it. This is a mistake you make the first time you try to code a system that needs to connect to another, and that is an easy fix ... again, i cant believe MG employs people that can do that kind of mistake, AND not spot it during testing. Unless there is no testing.

Anyway ... I highly suspect the luxury / trophy disconnect and slowing issues are caused by those two. I doubt MG is going to accept, but i'll try contacting them and see if they want me to work on it ...

With the LKA, you have to wait till you press the brake when you're getting ready to move off, then disable it. As far as I know, it then stays off until you sit down in the car again, and press the brake. It will stay off if you press the brake without getting out of the car. However if you get out and in again it won't stay off. It looks as if it's still off, but the minute you press that brake to shift into D, on it will go.

I went for a joyride on a rather bendy A road the day after I got my car. Stopped about 20 miles down the road, parked up, read the manual so I knew for sure how to turn it off, and did that. I do that every time unless I'm not leaving the village (20 mph speed limit, so it will never activate) or I (very occasionally) forget.

One time I forgot, I realised because the ACC display had changed to show a dotted centre line. I realised why, and managed to turn it off on the fly. The other time, I felt it pull the wheel a bit on a bendy road where obviously I was going to go near or even over the centre line sometimes. Again I managed to switch it off on the move. Far better do that when you first feel it, than have the car pull you into the ditch. Or another car, or a cyclist.

A number of Trophy owners have said they have a bug where it comes back on whenever the central screen switches between light and dark mode. Best to keep the screen on one or the other rather than auto-switching, and if you do want to change it manually be prepared to switch off the LKA again as well. (The SE doesn't have this bug.)

Hopefully getting the update from R25 (because the useless dealership managed to downgrade it) to Rwhatever tomorrow, here’s hoping I don’t need a second replacement infotainment system

New MG iSmart app for android. v1.1.12
Added a section called "smart peripherals" hmmm
To be checked if they fixed the right seat preheating in RHD cars.

Mine is still v1.1.11, with no update showing (neither via the app nor via Google Play).

Edit: I've done a rescan and it now appears

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums