MG4 Software Update Thread

TJA on and LKA off still does steering for me. However I find TJA to be a bit harsh, and prone to try and take you off to a slip road when you want to go straight on. I don't know if LKA on mollifies how TJA reacts as I always turn if off.

(FWIW I rarely use TJA anyway, preferring ACC).

TJA on and LKA off still does steering for me. However I find TJA to be a bit harsh, and prone to try and take you off to a slip road when you want to go straight on. I don't know if LKA on mollifies how TJA reacts as I always turn if off.

(FWIW I rarely use TJA anyway, preferring ACC).
I don't use any of it , prefer to drive the car myself. Only ever used ACC in the past to try it out ! 😃

I find ACC both a boon and a nightmare! It can be extremely useful on long boring motorway trips, but it can also be a nightmare on those same trips.
All's fine until you come up behind a slower moving vehicle, indicate and pull out to overtake it when the car suddenly decides to brake and slow you down to the speed of the vehicle being overtaken until you manage to get well over to the right and a lot closer or unless you mash the throttle down. Meanwhile, the beemer steaming up the outside lane is nearly rear ending you!

I find it works better if you a) set the distance marker to 2 bars (tap left on the left joystick) and b) indicate and pull out a few seconds after the vehicle in front has appeared on the driver display. :)

So then, I’m a little confused.

Context first: On the 17th Jan, around the recall time, I took my car in for it, as well as to get the dealers to check my front passenger door handle (my keyless button broke/stopped functioning). They told me it’d need a whole new handle and that they’d book me back in once it arrives to do the handle & updates together.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, it arrives and I get booked back in for the next day I’m available to take it in. I took it in today to the dealers for the fitting and updates, to be told 20 mins after I handed my keys that the handle wasn’t painted, so I’d need to book back in AGAIN when it has been, and also that they have had a bulletin from MG to say there were no more updates currently

I’m driving a trophy currently on R30, and per this thread I know there are newer updates, which fix the consumption graphs for example.

In the moment I didn’t pull out my phone to show them these forum posts, though in retrospect I should have.

I’m just wondering on people’s thoughts, are the updates >R30 stable, would there be a reason for them to tell dealers not to update any further? Or should I ring back up and shout at them for messing around?

Thanks

Doing any updates takes the dealer time and so costs them money. I believe the deal is that we get the latest at the annual service as part of that price and anything on top of that is only to fix warranty issues - or at least it is down to the dealer to decide if they will go the extra mile.

So, I suggest you go back to them with your phone and explain the issue that you are having, show them and insist they update the car to get a fix.

Doing any updates takes the dealer time and so costs them money. I believe the deal is that we get the latest at the annual service as part of that price and anything on top of that is only to fix warranty issues - or at least it is down to the dealer to decide if they will go the extra mile.

So, I suggest you go back to them with your phone and explain the issue that you are having, show them and insist they update the car to get a fix.
It’s always time & money isn’t it ☹️

Sadly with work I’m unable to get back to the dealers Mon-Fri, so at this point I’m considering living with it and asking them to do it when the handle is finally painted.

It’s the easy way out but I don’t see them doing it impromptu on a weekend.

True - but a quick check in the box before booking the customer in would save a lot of wasted time. Also I would expect MG to be able to confirm when they ordered if the part came painted because you would provide the paint code. Basic stuff really.

What's the issue with all the handles breaking, been mentioned a good few times now. All needing a replacement.

What's the issue with all the handles breaking, been mentioned a good few times now. All needing a replacement.
If it’s anything like the Alfa GT my son had, both door handles broke over time. There is apparently a good and bad way of pulling on them.

And at one point his seat folding mechanism broke - there are apparently 3 different modes of failure for that too!

I thought it was the one touch unlock button but that’s going bad and then they’re just replacing the whole thing?
I’ve not read many/any reports of actual door pulls not functioning normally?

I thought it was the one touch unlock button but that’s going bad and then they’re just replacing the whole thing?
I’ve not read many/any reports of actual door pulls not functioning normally?
Yes but we need to know why it is failing. Is it mechanical, electronic, a loose connection? It may be repairable which would be much better than having to get replacements painted to match.

I’m driving a trophy currently on R30, and per this thread I know there are newer updates, which fix the consumption graphs for example.
That's the point. The update is not just "nice to have", it actually fixes things. So you shouldn't have to beg for it.

R33 being installed on mine for over a month now.

So, if it ain’t (too) broke don’t try to fix it may be the moral of the story. My car has been in the garage since Thursday for a little bodywork touch up (pre-delivery scratch/chip) and under tray straightening which was (I am told) quickly sorted, and software updates (which should have been done pre-delivery too). To be fair, there were a good few glitches we were hoping the updates would resolve, so how could we have known it was, comparatively, not broke.

They’re having major issues with the updates. The car won’t go into drive and every time they touch it it throws up a barrage of errors. They’ve stopped short of saying they’ve bricked it but…!
I’ve had errors for brake system, air bag, power steering, abnormal alarm, security alarm - 65 in total. Apparently they’ve got their best technician on it! But ultimately they’re waiting for a fix from MG.
So got an e-Mokka to tie me over til it’s better. Doesn’t half make you appreciate the balance poise and acceleration of the MG.

Yes but we need to know why it is failing. Is it mechanical, electronic, a loose connection? It may be repairable which would be much better than having to get replacements painted to match.
Oh ay agreed. Getting an idea of what’s actually wrong would be ideal.
Just trying to allay any fears that folks may have that people are getting locked in again or anything?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back