MG4 Software Update Thread

not many are prepared for ev's locally even mercedes /renault dealer have crap service and after sales . but im sure my local dealer will keep cars up to date as the sales manager is the best guy you would want as your friend to keep you happy with the car after you get it and my one is that .
It's great that you have confidence in your MG dealer, unfortunately there are numerous reports of negative dealer experiences in the UK.

im glad im not in the uk then :)
Is the dealer model the same overseas?

In the UK dealers are their own independent businesses run in their own ways using MG as a franchise, some are standalone and others are part of larger dealer network groups with their own sub-branding.

So you can end up with 4 corporations involved:
  • Local dealer
  • Dealer group
  • MG UK
  • MG China (parent SAIC)

Which can be why it is such a nightmare to get decisions, responses and support.

Is the dealer model the same overseas?

In the UK dealers are their own independent businesses run in their own ways using MG as a franchise, some are standalone and others are part of larger dealer network groups with their own sub-branding.

So you can end up with 4 corporations involved:
  • Local dealer
  • Dealer group
  • MG UK
  • MG China (parent SAIC)

Which can be why it is such a nightmare to get decisions, responses and support.
locally he is responsable for the imported cars

Damn! I thought things were going too well. The car has been perfect so far as I'm concerned, but I've just checked on the MG Recall Checker and according to that mine is subject to a recall.

Annoyingly, it doesn't actually say what the recall is for, so I can only assume I've been lucky not to be locked in so far. Are there any other issues, apart from the lock-in problem, that are subject to recall?

Last edited:
Well, I rang my local dealer and he confirms my car is due for a recall and has confirmed the only recall he is aware of is for the locked-in fix. He thought it odd that I hadn't received a recall letter from MG.

I'm booked in for two weeks time, and I asked him not to take the opportunity then to upgrade my infotainment system from R30 to R33. He laughed and said "I don't blame you - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" confirming what has been pointed out on this forum - R33 introduces more bugs than it squashes!

Well, I've just spoken with the dealer I bought our car from, and he has confirmed that the lock-in fix was applied to our car before we collected it. That would explain why I haven't had the recall letter.

I think I'll still keep the appointment at our local dealer for the recall, if only to checkout the R33 update version and to get the windscreen washer jets adjusted. They still wash the underside of the bonnet!

Since getting updated to R33 also very happy. To me LKA feels less violent and errors/Miss-engagements are occurring less frequently. Road sign recognition is much better, just one time today in a 30 where it thought it was 20. A couple of occasions on wide roads where it wasn’t sure if it should be 60or70 so just showed national symbol. Other times on duals or narrower national speed limit road it read 70 or 60 respectively. Remembered my phone… didn’t auto pair (other half used previous trip) but big improvement on having to re-pair from scratch / not being able to find my phone.
Screen felt generally more responsive too. And the dry weather meant I got nearly 5mi/kWh on the way home this afternoon. 😁

Curiouser and curiouser!

Thought I'd ring my local dealer again to change the appointment from a recall fix to an Infotainment update and windscreen washer adjustment.

I didn't get the response I expected though.
Firstly he told me they weren't allowed to do any updates without contacting MG first and getting their permission - which sounded strange!
Secondly, he didn't have any experience with the windscreen washers and didn't know if they were adjustable or would have to be replaced.

Anyone any thoughts on either of those two issues?

Aren't the washer jets the old-school type with adjustable nozzles?

Re. updates - the "permission" from MG is a matter of connecting the car to the equipment, and then the equipment gathers the car's VIN and searches the MG servers for available updates. (At least that's how I understand it).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 531 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back