MG4 Software Update Thread

As above.

But mine is also R13, and I feel no urgency to update to R16 (which is known to be the latest for the SE, but which loses the temperature indication).

LKA seems much better now. On my recent trip to Bath, the car was a joy to drive with this set on. Much better with this update.

Used ACC too. Quite liked it, TBH, although a couple of metal strips embedded in the tarmac either side of a small elevated section of motorway, caused it to brake unexpectedly.

However, I played with TJA yesterday and that was horrible in slow moving, stop/start traffic. Steering keep moving where it wanted and had to forcefully turn the steering as is was hell bent kn going wherever it thought it wanted to be. An experiment I won’t be trying again.

Never had TJA on a car before so I don’t know what other cars behave like if they have this option.

LKA seems much better now. On my recent trip to Bath, the car was a joy to drive with this set on. Much better with this update.

Used ACC too. Quite liked it, TBH, although a couple of metal strips embedded in the tarmac either side of a small elevated section of motorway, caused it to brake unexpectedly.

However, I played with TJA yesterday and that was horrible in slow moving, stop/start traffic. Steering keep moving where it wanted and had to forcefully turn the steering as is was hell bent kn going wherever it thought it wanted to be. An experiment I won’t be trying again.

Never had TJA on a car before so I don’t know what other cars behave like if they have this option.
TJA is interesting to me.
Have used plenty other cars BMW 330e / Audi Q5 / Tesla Model 3 / Polestar 2.

MG4 is a “dumb” system just like the BMW, Audi and Polestar. Nothing competes with the Tesla AI. Still just driver aids yet not as easy to get confused (except if changing lanes next to a lorry - M3 often freaked out if it mistook me moving over for the lorry encroaching in to my lane).

All cars could suffer “phantom breaking” with ACC system. Misinformation from radar or camera/glare.

EVERYTHING except the Tesla also suffers the same base issues. May slow down a little on any gentle bends. Lane assist not keeping a solid position on any bends - definitely not designed to steer any A roads. Only OK at motorways and to follow the car ahead. The MG4 is a bit rough speeding up or slowing down on ACC for my liking. It does 1mph less than the set speed for no reason sometimes - actually I miss being able to adjust my ACC speed by 1mph and not every 5mph too.

Lane keep basically aims between the white markings - yet easily confused by direct sunlight, old markings, studs/removed studs from smart motorway work, seams/join lines from road surface repairs, arrows for slip road exits, etc etc.

I use TJA in actual jams - works well. Start/stops the car. If markings were clearly visible it stayed in lane fine. Likewise TJA or LKA work well on a motorway. I love that the lane keep pauses when you signal, change lane then resumes when central to your new lane. The Model 3 standard autopilot didn’t do that and was a pain to keep re-enabing it with a ding dong chime after every lane change. Yet not worth £3,400 to gain auto lane change.

Only downside of MG, is I cannot tell you what versions of LKA/TJA software or hardware I have so my experience in a Trophy could vary wildly to others.

The MG4 is a bit rough speeding up or slowing down on ACC for my liking. It does 1mph less than the set speed for no reason sometimes - actually I miss being able to adjust my ACC speed by 1mph and not every 5mph too.
Agreed, it could be smoother, but I found myself actually driving better to try to avoid the slightly over sharp braking, plus dropped the distance down at which it kicked in a little too which made it better.

I had the 1 mph difference thing too, I have a Trophy as well.

You can change it up and down in 1 mph increments, but it’s a faff press and holding the joystick up for around 3-4 seconds to get it to do it, and then go up too fast anyway. It should probably be the other way around, IMHO.

Could anyone who has an SE SR please tell me what is the latest software standard. Mine is currently R13. Thank you.
You can see the latest versions here:

(assuming this is being maintained)

Agreed, it could be smoother, but I found myself actually driving better to try to avoid the slightly over sharp braking, plus dropped the distance down at which it kicked in a little too which made it better.

You can change it up and down in 1 mph increments, but it’s a faff press and holding the joystick up for around 3-4 seconds to get it to do it, and then go up too fast anyway. It should probably be the other way around, IMHO.
The 1mph ACC adjustment is a particularly tricky user experience!

Oooooh you can hold it for -/+1mph - I had not read/discovered that, thank you. Yeah expecting the other way round myself.
You can see the latest versions here:

(assuming this is being maintained)

It is getting new updates yet of limited benefit depending on the context. Rxx software version (as viewable) is related to the infotainment system which is Android OS based anyway. Mainly phone integration, 4G data and user graphic interface updates.

Any car system info and versions are hidden. Battery management, driver assists, regen/braking, motors, drivetrain, HVAC etc are all modular and only visible to MG/dealers.

Two Trophy spec cars on R33 could still have different versions of key sub-systems like LKA or regen braking behaviour and we can’t confirm directly.

Last edited:
Oooooh you can hold it for -/+1mph - I had not read/discovered that, thank you. Yeah expecting the other way round myself.

It is getting new updates yet of limited benefit depending on the context. Rxx software version (as viewable) is related to the infotainment system which is Android OS based anyway. Mainly phone integration, 4G data and user graphic interface updates.

Any car system info and versions are hidden. Battery management, driver assists, regen/braking, motors, drivetrain, HVAC etc are all modular and only visible to MG/dealers.

Two Trophy spec cars on R33 could still have different versions of key sub-systems like LKA or regen breaking behaviour and we can’t confirm directly.
Thanks for the clarification. Just checked mine (SE SR) and I have R16, so perhaps that needs updating on the spreadsheet.

1684843317879.png

Out of interest, do others have these update options?

Thanks for the clarification. Just checked mine (SE SR) and I have R16, so perhaps that needs updating on the spreadsheet.

View attachment 17712

I have update, but don’t recall Resource Update. I’ll take a look when I’m in it next (Trophy edition).

Intriguingly, if you repeatedly tap the (can’t quite remember which one) MPU or MCU option there, a password protected menu appears. Wonder what goodies lie below that?

View attachment 17712

Yes, have the update option too. Trophy on R30. My dealer advised that infotainment over-the-air updates are not active yet with no ETA. Again, only for the touchscreen and not any car systems though.

From what the dealer told me the actual car updates are a mess, time consuming and slightly risky (specific order only, failure of updates, someone has to sit in the drivers seat and wait with the laptop).

Well, there's no way I want anyone to apply this update to my car, as I refer to the outside temperature reading a lot. It actually seems to be accurate, unlike the terminally flaky inside temperature.

I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where it's worthwhile for those of us who have software issues that are merely annoying niggles and not critical problems to get an update we can rely on to solve the annoying niggles and at the same time not hand us a bunch of new annoying niggles (not to mention critical problems)?

As I said in another thread, I found accidentally that the ACC is MUCH smoother if you set sport mode for acceleration + adaptive regeneration.
It has been confirmed by another colleague from Spain, so it was not my subjective impression.
I like custom: sport accel and brake, soft wheel and adaptive regen=acceptable AAC in dense traffic.

looks like a bug: the AAC is subject to the same forced delay in acceleration introduced by the driving mode, ruining the PID action and causing excessive late acceleration and then forcing too strong brake

This sums up my experience too. I am getting used to LKA. I didn't like it at first but now find it okay.

TJA on the other hand - it is way too strong and not accurate and handling steering.

My car is died
I put mg4 to official dealer for software update. They tell me that car doesn ‘t start after maintenance.
No words

My experience with this car is orrible.
Dealer, mg italia, the car. All at level zero

Similar problem for me! Took car to dealership for software update, they bricked the display! They had to order the new display which is not known when it will arrive! And they didn't even want to give me the courtesy car!!

Where did you take the car?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel