MG4 Software Update Thread

I've got more than half a dozen software issues that bug me plenty, but I also have workrounds for nearly all of them so I choose to use the workrounds and take a zen-like attitude of calm about it all, rather than get bent out of shape about things I can't change and which MG will take its own sweet time about fixing, if at all.

I emailed them to ask whether existing owners would be getting any of the new software features of the new model:

"Thank you for your email, however any new features released for newer models, will not be added retrospectively to existing models. The reason for this is that there will be different operation systems."

If this is true then I can't see them spending much, if any, time trying to fix bugs for our versions.
I contacted MG with a complaint about my dealer, who were just uncountable and had multiple phone numbers. Their response was

"In this instance you would need to contact your local MG dealership who will be able to assist further."

So, I would not trust what the MG 'Service Desk' comes back with at all. As previously said, managing multiple OS's on thousands of cars is nonsense.
The only way multiple OS's could happen is if they upgrade the hardware itself to such an extent and develop a new OS to operate on it, (then that's a new version of car), making previous versions of hardware incompatible. But that adds an overhead for MG as each version needs to be supported whilst in warranty. Chances of that for the current MG4 model... next to zero

Last edited:
Sweet. I’m taking my back week after next for an update. MG say they have new software for the dealer to try to resolve the Bluetooth issues. Currently on R33.
Agreed... my dealer installed R33 to 'fix' my digital key issue. However, it didn't fix the digital key and it broke the Bluetooth. The head unit now constantly asks me to pair my phone which means I have duplicate devices paired and my AAWireless auto-start function don't work anymore.

...... Was in for a service on Saturday & they updated a few modules, only things i've noticed is the LKA now remembers to stay on, I know it's a NCAP requirement etc. Not the end of the world & I'll get into the routine of turning it off 😁.

On a positive though, pre heat/cooling from the app now works whilst plugged in & not charging, result!

Infotainment still on R30 Which I'm happy enough with as it's pretty stable for me.

Cheers

Hi,

I ordered an MG4 on an electric car scheme with my company I work for. It was supposed to be delivered on Monday. I called and they said it got recalled due to a software update at portbury Bristol . I was furious. Someone please tell me what this software will do? How will it improve the car? And how long does a software update take?

Hi,

I ordered an MG4 on an electric car scheme with my company I work for. It was supposed to be delivered on Monday. I called and they said it got recalled due to a software update at portbury Bristol . I was furious. Someone please tell me what this software will do? How will it improve the car? And how long does a software update take?
I'm afraid you are now in the world of 'drive by wire'. Computer software controls the car and the driver issues instructions to the computer software, which may act on them. As you will see from the Lane Keep Assist thread, the software may decide to act without any instructions.
Keep reading the forum, it's full of practical advice.

Hi,

It may seem a little perverse to you but it's actually a good thing that someone is keeping on top of software updates.

@Rolfe

"and take a zen-like attitude of calm about it all, rather than get bent out of shape about things I can't change and which MG will take its own sweet time about fixing, if at all."

I just discovered another gem amongst your many qualities: being a Stoic.🏛️

Two questions:

1. What's the current latest version for Trophy owners? I believe it is R33 although I have heard rumors of an R36. Does anyone have a version above R33?

2. Any new Trophy recalls out there that people are aware of? I've not been contacted by MG about any recalls but again I am hearing people talk about some new ones, perhaps these are not recalls but updates to apply at next service?

Thanks!

Two questions:

1. What's the current latest version for Trophy owners? I believe it is R33 although I have heard rumors of an R36. Does anyone have a version above R33?

2. Any new Trophy recalls out there that people are aware of? I've not been contacted by MG about any recalls but again I am hearing people talk about some new ones, perhaps these are not recalls but updates to apply at next service?

Thanks!
Mine is on R30. Not heard of anything above R33 being available

Recall checker can be found here: MG Recall Checker

Two questions:

Thanks!
@Spaniard posted a pic of an R40 screen earlier in this very thread:-

Miles mentioned in the podcast that dealers have been asked to check certain modules for software updates, but as a service action, not a safety recall. He lists FICM (nav unit), EBCC (charge controller), BCM (body control module) and FDR (forward detection system). Presumably this is because they all recently had updates made available for them.

Yes, but I think that was from a review done by a 'YouTube'r. Do we know is R40 is actually available for 'production' release ?

This comes from a dealer in Spain; the new cars (three headrests, one pedal driving) are arriving with this version.
The debate is whether they will port it to the old MG4s or not.

Miles mentioned in the podcast that dealers have been asked to check certain modules for software updates, but as a service action, not a safety recall. He lists FICM (nav unit), EBCC (charge controller), BCM (body control module) and FDR (forward detection system). Presumably this is because they all recently had updates made available for them.

That's how I understood it.
I guess with new models and versions coming out they don't want the barrage of complaints to continue and they've had a years testing on users to find the faults and correct them.

I've already reported it to my dealer as a
I've already reported this to my dealer on 2 occasions as recurring but not constant problem so I don't think they have to replicate it. It is a known issue which I asked them to log with MG. If there is an update I will expect to have it installed.
Hey all,

So i decided to e-mail MG's CEO as I got sick at how many times I had to manually re-pair my bluetooth to my MG4.

I got a somewhat positive response from MG (pasted below) and hope that I can continue chasing them untill I know that a fix can be installed etc

"Good Morning

Thank you for your recent correspondence. Mr Wang has read your email but is currently unavailable so has asked I respond on his behalf.

We are aware of this slight issue with the bluetooth, our Engineering team are currently in contact with our development team in China to release a software fix for this.

I predict this will be available in the coming weeks so as soon as this is released, an MG approved dealer will be able to rectify this issue for you.

I apologise for the inconvenience this is causing but please rest assured, we are working on it currently.

Regards"

Hey all,

So i decided to e-mail MG's CEO as I got sick at how many times I had to manually re-pair my bluetooth to my MG4.

I got a somewhat positive response from MG (pasted below) and hope that I can continue chasing them untill I know that a fix can be installed etc

"Good Morning

Thank you for your recent correspondence. Mr Wang has read your email but is currently unavailable so has asked I respond on his behalf.

We are aware of this slight issue with the bluetooth, our Engineering team are currently in contact with our development team in China to release a software fix for this.

I predict this will be available in the coming weeks so as soon as this is released, an MG approved dealer will be able to rectify this issue for you.

I apologise for the inconvenience this is causing but please rest assured, we are working on it currently.

Regards"
Glad I was sitting down when I read your reply from MG. It's a total departure from the usual Smart response and hopefully it's a sign that MG are learning to engage with their customers.
Not holding my breath though 😁

Glad I was sitting down when I read your reply from MG. It's a total departure from the usual Smart response and hopefully it's a sign that MG are learning to engage with their customers.
Not holding my breath though 😁

I had to read it twice. It’s almost, how you say, helpful? What is going on !? 😃

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back