MG4 Software Update Thread

I can live with LKA on mine, the nudge is so gentle. It still reacts incorrectly often tho, if the lines are faded, if the road splits etc.

I have mine at dealer today, as BT needs pairing every second trip.
Told my dealer that there is probably no update to fix it yet, but they still wanted to look at it. 🤔

Edit: infotainment updated from R24 to R33, will see if it makes any difference. My guess is no.

Last edited:
Had software updates on my Tango Trophy yesterday, Infotainment now on R33 from R30.
LKA, now on permanently and i have to manually switch it off. Although i am tempted to see if it has improved. 🤷‍♂️
Only if they have updated the LKA, too. In mine they had and it was really fine afterwards.

Anyone got the latest build? Worth doing. I popped in to report a mismoulded speaker grill and they wanted it for two hours for a software update so they must be actively wanted to do updates.

I declined because 2minutes or two hours made a difference today so will get it updated when they replace the speaker grill.

Only issue I think I have is outside temperature not displaying so happy to judge myself wether I am hot or cold.

Yeah and I can live with it. If a major update, maybe UI tweaks etc I would be interested because I’m a sucker for new things but if not broke don’t fix it I guess.

I have R13 and do have the outside temperature ... I'm not sure that R16 offers anything that R13 doesn't already have?

I'm the same. My dealer told me the car had had all the latest software installed on the morning I collected it, but I'm fairly pleased he had either the sense or the lack of rigour to have left it at R13. I haven't come across anything R16 will actually do that R13 won't.

Ours went in for a large number of issues since we have the car (3 months) we were already on R33 but after some of the modules were updating including the BCM we've noticed that the CarPlay interface has changed so looks there are a few updating happening at the moment. Now the radio is disabled when we switch into CarPlay where before it allowed the radio to continue. Hopefully just a setting somewhere but will have to see. Need to go and grab a screen cap of all the versions on it now

They also applied an update for a recall around locking which I was surprised by as I thought that came out before we got our car and it was meant to have been updated before we got it. Maybe they are just updating the info to R33 and leaving the rest until someone complains (due to the time involved)

When we were chatting to the service guy I mentioned about the annoyance it doesn't do OTA updates, he mentioned when people pick up the Ionic 6 you have to sign a disclaimer that if the car is doing an update it can't be driven and you can't stop an update. normally it happens at night but it could happen at any time rending your car unusable for a while!

When we were chatting to the service guy I mentioned about the annoyance it doesn't do OTA updates, he mentioned when people pick up the Ionic 6 you have to sign a disclaimer that if the car is doing an update it can't be driven and you can't stop an update. normally it happens at night but it could happen at any time rending your car unusable for a while!
Well, I have an Ioniq 5 which is based on the same platform and it can be very well driven while the car is performing an OTA update. It's hard to imagine that a model with the exact same technical underpinnings can't do this, too.

Btw OTA updates are only done on the infotainment system. You may not be able to navigate or do other screen-based controls, but the vehicle can be driven nonetheless.

The service guy mentioned it was only on the ionic 6 not the 5. I think the issue is on the 6 it can OTA more of the modules not just the infotainment system

The service guy mentioned it was only on the ionic 6 not the 5. I think the issue is on the 6 it can OTA more of the modules not just the infotainment system
That's interesting, I am currently considering the 6 but that worries me, i'd hate to be away somewhere only to wake the next morning to find the car bricked !... that said, anything they release I assume they will be super confident that it won't brick anyone's car.

Mercedes channeling their inner MG 😆
IMG_3735.jpeg

That's interesting, I am currently considering the 6 but that worries me, i'd hate to be away somewhere only to wake the next morning to find the car bricked !... that said, anything they release I assume they will be super confident that it won't brick anyone's car.
I can only say that the OTA updates on the Ioniq 5 work perfectly well. The car downloads the update file when available and asks you if you want to install it. Then you get a little pop up message when the car has installed the update explaining the new features and that's it. Never any problems with it.

I can only say that the OTA updates on the Ioniq 5 work perfectly well. The car downloads the update file when available and asks you if you want to install it. Then you get a little pop up message when the car has installed the update explaining the new features and that's it. Never any problems with it.
Great, thanks. So if the 6 can accept updates for the cars various modules (BMS etc) then hopefully it will ask before applying. However that's not what is indicated in post #908, i.e car becoming unavailable during an update.
I'll ask the dealer, but thanks for the info.

I'm currently sitting at the dealers who are fixing my door handle and also apparently putting on the update suggested by MG to actually fix the bluetooth issues. I'm already on R33, so will be interested if that changes, or whether the update is just the telecom module or something else. I've got the usual pings on my phone saying the electric steering is abnormal, which is a good sign that they're messing with the software.

Will let you know shortly...

I would love to know what this update is as my dealer is still saying there is no update for Bluetooth despite showing him a video of my phone failing to connect and the cross next to the mobile signal strength icon, and pointing them to this forum to see that there is an issue.

I believe the two issues are related; that the comms module controls both, and that an update is available for that, but if the dealer point blank denies an update exists, what can you do?

The only way I've found is so make sure they raise a technical case with MG, and not just try to tell you there's no update. Only MG really know whats in the updates.
When I came in earlier, I asked them to note down what they were applying and let me know. They said they have the code from MG, but it means nothing to them. We will see what they tell me (if anything) shortly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back