MG4 Software Update Thread

No fancy R40 for me.. Still R33. They say they updated stuff but not what. Telecom version if SNAKP18E32, but I know what it was before

No fancy R40 for me.. Still R33. They say they updated stuff but not what. Telecom version if SNAKP18E32, but I know what it was before
They're still testing the R40 software, I was yesterday @ the dealer and there was someone from MG and they didn't give the green light to install the R40 already.

Safe to say the update hasn’t helped. 3rd time starting the car. It comes up with a pairing request on the display. Click pair and it just fails. No surprise there

I completely agree! Most of the garages, even large ones, have mechanics, perhaps good at adjusting a carburettor by ear, when the maximum of electronics was an OBD diagnosis! Today there is a lot of electronics and little mechanics. So either they equip themselves with mechanotronics or they place IT alongside the mechanics!
I would think very few would be able to adjust a carburettor be ear unless they are extremely old but I do get your point.👍

I can live with LKA on mine, the nudge is so gentle. It still reacts incorrectly often tho, if the lines are faded, if the road splits etc.

I have mine at dealer today, as BT needs pairing every second trip.
Told my dealer that there is probably no update to fix it yet, but they still wanted to look at it. 🤔

Edit: infotainment updated from R24 to R33, will see if it makes any difference. My guess is no.
R33 definitely will not fix Bluetooth unpairing. It is common on R33 cars.

Hello all.

I have a Trophy purchased middle of May and when I got it home realised that I had software version R24 and I believe there were later versions available at that time.

Shouldn't the dealer have updated the software to the latest version before I picked it up?

I've got it booked in to be updated tomorrow, however in the confirmation email they have mentioned a diag cost of £180. Surely I won't be charged for them to do this? This is from MG Hendy in Crawley.

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks,
James

i believe your problem here is that you are requesting an update which takes time that the the dealer prob would not be able to charge back to MG.
if you cited a specific issue that they felt an info software update would cure this is likely to be covered under warranty.
I would wait for a service and ask for software updates to be done as part of the service.

Provided you have a complaint about something like bluetooth or something then it should be done under the warranty.

If you just ask for an update then they will want to charge you.

Provided you have a complaint about something like bluetooth or something then it should be done under the warranty.

If you just ask for an update then they will want to charge you.
Ahh, ok. Thank you. Although I did mention that the screen is lagging and the Bluetooth is rubbish which I felt was down to a software issue.

I also have an issue with a strange paint spot on the front bumper, so I'll take it in and see what they say. Will make it clear that I'm not willing to pay for the update.

Thanks.

Don't approach them asking for an update, just state the issues, how they sort it is up to them. That may or may not involve an update depending on what's available and its known issues.

You may find they just raise a case against MG
Cool. Thanks so much.

If it makes you feel any better my Trophy is still on R24 and although it has an occasional glitch I'm not in a rush to update it as I will probably only swapping one set of glitches for another.

Remember R24 is only the software version for the infotainment screen not for the other modules that control the car. And before you ask, no you can't find out what version the other modules are on.

My dealer in Norway only updates what MG tell them is mandatory updates. Infotainment is not one of them.

And they also told me that for yearly service they only install mandatory updates, not optional updates.

So there has to be a specific reason to get the update done (for free).

Hello, can anyone estimate what the equivalent of the R40 for the SE (SR) will be (and when it will be available)?
Don't think the R40 will come to the SE cause they have other software versions then the Trophy/Luxury R33 will be changed with the R40 normally later this year, the dealer told me but MG needs to give the green light for it first.

Don't think the R40 will come to the SE cause they have other software versions then the Trophy/Luxury R33 will be changed with the R40 normally later this year, the dealer told me but MG needs to give the green light for it first.
Is there any world on what the next version will be for SE…. R19, R20

Hello all.

I have a Trophy purchased middle of May and when I got it home realised that I had software version R24 and I believe there were later versions available at that time.

Shouldn't the dealer have updated the software to the latest version before I picked it up?

I've got it booked in to be updated tomorrow, however in the confirmation email they have mentioned a diag cost of £180. Surely I won't be charged for them to do this? This is from MG Hendy in Crawley.

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks,
James
Just thought I'd give you a bit of an update.

Apparently the MG4 has a recall on it in regard to the infotainment system (no idea when they were going to tell me that) so there won't be any charge for updating it.

Only issue is MG Hendy in Crawley have had the car all day and have just let me know that they don't have time to fix it today. Very frustrating as I don't live in Crawley and have just been dropped off here with no way of getting home. Off to pick up the car and get it booked in at some point in the future (could be a long wait as there was a 5 week waiting time for this appointment). Disappointing.

Only issue is MG Hendy in Crawley have had the car all day and have just let me know that they don't have time to fix it today. Very frustrating as I don't live in Crawley and have just been dropped off here with no way of getting home. Off to pick up the car and get it booked in at some point in the future (could be a long wait as there was a 5 week waiting time for this appointment). Disappointing.
I couldn't have helped myself but set up multiple accounts and spammed them with bad Google reviews while waiting. 😁

Last edited:
Is there any world on what the next version will be for SE…. R19, R20
Gosh. According to the screen, I am still on R13 and the car has not been back to the dealer since I took delivery at the beginning of February. And I am in no rush because it is performing well.
Anyone else in this position?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel