MG4 Software Update Thread

Gosh. According to the screen, I am still on R13 and the car has not been back to the dealer since I took delivery at the beginning of February. And I am in no rush because it is performing well.
Anyone else in this position?
Mine came with R13 and I kept getting the Auto Hold error so had it update to R16 on Saturday. so far it’s been fine, apart from the outside temperature bug, but that’s no big deal for me. Looking on a French site docs from MG shows the SE phase 2 model will be on R21, it look like we won’t be get this and I wouldn’t be surprised if R16 is the last revision for us.

Mine's on R13, and I picked mine up at the end of November. :)

It has been back for updates, but not to the Infotainment.

Mine is on R13 despite my being told that it had the latest software installed on 13th April before I collected it. I had the auto-hold fault a few times at first but then it stopped. There's nothing that's annoying me that R16 fixes and I don't want to lose the outside temperature so I'll stick for the moment.

R33 Trophy, I got the Auto hold error message (and a couple of other messages followed it) today when I got in it, it coincided with the infotainment screen taking it's time to start booting up.
I waited a short while then decided to get out, lock it and unlock it again to start again, but as soon as I opened the door the messages disappeared, the car went into ready mode and the infotainment screen booted up as normal.

Mine came with R13 and I kept getting the Auto Hold error so had it update to R16 on Saturday. so far it’s been fine, apart from the outside temperature bug, but that’s no big deal for me. Looking on a French site docs from MG shows the SE phase 2 model will be on R21, it look like we won’t be get this and I wouldn’t be surprised if R16 is the last revision for us.
Thanks for your update.

Mine is on R13 despite my being told that it had the latest software installed on 13th April before I collected it. I had the auto-hold fault a few times at first but then it stopped. There's nothing that's annoying me that R16 fixes and I don't want to lose the outside temperature so I'll stick for the moment.
Same here. Hopefully it can wait until my SE SR is due for its first service.

Same here. Hopefully it can wait until my SE SR is due for its first service.
I'm in the same boat . i'm quite happy to wait.
One thing that does bother me is that if I'm using the phone through android auto and then go back to the cars home screen the phone "window" obscures the controls and can't be got rid of. Unless Rolfe has a workaround?

My phone doesn't support Android Auto so until I get a new phone that does, all these bugs sail right over my head! Sounds like one to add to the list, but it's not one I can experience.

I’m on R13 as well with no desire to lose things such as the outside temperature and the Bluetooth key. I have a few glitches, similar to most, such as the Autohold fault which sporadically appears on boot up.

The one thing I do have that I don’t think I’ve seen before is when using CarPlay for a phone call, the first time I ask it to call someone, there is no sound. The call connects, but there is no sound at all.

If I ask it to call, cancel it then ask it to call again, the sound works perfectly. This didn’t happen in my old car, so it’s not an issue with my phone. Frustrating, but I’ll put up with it for now.

Had my SE SR since November and will be due the 15000 mile service in July. I will be telling them NOT to update anything as I'm happy with it, especially the fact that the LKA stays off permanently!

Are you sure this action will not break the ToRs for the Warranty and that your insurance company will not see a way out of compensating you? Whilst replacement of mechanical parts is well understood by all (don't do it and you are not covered) the software situation is a minefield.

R30 here, biggest problems I have with the software is the android auto connection will drop whether I use a wireless ottocast dongle or wired, and then of course the radio comes on full blast. I end up having to reboot the unit (home 10 secs) which at least sorts it for that drive. I'm guessing its come kind of buffering issue or more likely a memory leak when the unit hasn't been reset in a while.
That and the fact the built in sat nav freezes sometimes (dead reckoning on or off). Issues may be related, both seem sorted by reset. Apart from the infotainment system the car drives great, I don't even really have a problem with the LKA.

Last edited:
Hello folks, I'm new here. I picked up my new MG4 Trophy LR on June the 13th and it has the annoying Bluetooth pairing problem, amongst others. A friend of mine got his last month and I didn't know until I met him last week in Home bargains car park. Guess what, he has exactly the same problems as me. His has been back for updates several times with no change. I contacted my dealer and informed him of the glitches, he rang me today to tell me that my car has R33 installed before I picked it up. It's to go back at the end of July for an update when China has released the new version. Here's hoping it cures it.

It's to go back at the end of July for an update when China has released the new version. Here's hoping it cures it.
Hopefully it will cure it but it may well add other bugs into the system e.g. on the SR R16 lost the outside temperature display which was present on the previous R13.

I think it is best to let someone else be the early adopter to see what happens 🤔.

I'm way back on R24. I also have been having issues with connecting phone with Bluetooth. Today I plugged in with USB to start Android Auto. That connected the phone to Bluetooth. I then unplugged USB and phone stayed connected to Bluetooth. I was then able to make calls using the Info touchscreen. 'Hi MG' didn't acknowledge my command.

I have an early Nov '22 Trophy and took mine in for the latest software updates yesterday (SC47 and SCUK001 Recall). Not sure what they are but apparently neither is infotainment-related and one is to do with the Body Control Module. I have previously had the SA022 Recall and RC008 recalls done.

I noticed that with the latest updates I seem to have lots of options with regards to the Lane Keep Assist (LKA) that I don't think were there before? Perhaps someone could confirm as I cannot remember (see photo).

Interestingly, I turned my LKA off on the day I picked the car up in late November last year and it's never turned itself back on since (thank god!)

I was hoping the software updates would include the new, bigger climate control buttons like Bjorn Nyland has in his MG4 video but unfortunately it has remained the same.

Attachments

• IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 173
Had some issues with heater sometimes did not heat and was in for a software update on the heatpump module today (unfortunately I did not get what the versions was).

I have an early Nov '22 Trophy and took mine in for the latest software updates yesterday (SC47 and SCUK001 Recall). Not sure what they are but apparently neither is infotainment-related and one is to do with the Body Control Module. I have previously had the SA022 Recall and RC008 recalls done.

I noticed that with the latest updates I seem to have lots of options with regards to the Lane Keep Assist (LKA) that I don't think were there before? Perhaps someone could confirm as I cannot remember (see photo).

Interestingly, I turned my LKA off on the day I picked the car up in late November last year and it's never turned itself back on since (thank god!)

I was hoping the software updates would include the new, bigger climate control buttons like Bjorn Nyland has in his MG4 video but unfortunately it has remained the same.

I've read elsewhere that MG aren't sending R40 to dealers until late next month.

Got an appointment book with a dealership (not the awful place I bought it from) to get my Trophy upgraded from R25 (it came with R28 but the infotainment system was replaced and introduced even more issues), unfortunately the first available date was in August...

Hopefully this will fix the issue where the left star button always triggers the AC menu, regardless of what the right star button is bound to (really great when you want to turn the camera on and it's completely blocked by the AC menu).

Got an appointment book with a dealership (not the awful place I bought it from) to get my Trophy upgraded from R25 (it came with R28 but the infotainment system was replaced and introduced even more issues), unfortunately the first available date was in August...
Fingers Crossed you should get the R40

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel