MG4 Software Update Thread

Can anyone tell me what has changed in MPU R33 vs R30?

My versions (Grey Trophy)
MCU 68.3.3.9 (seems lower than any other I can find, many seem to be 68.3.8.0 or higher)
MPU SWI68-29958-1300R30 (I know that at least R33 is around I'm just not sure what's changed)

No general problems with driving the car, I don't even mind the LKA but the infotainment is laggy, freezes on the satnav and Android Auto / Carplay disconnects often if I don't reboot the infortainment system whether I connect wired or use a wireless Ottocast dongle.
R33 will not cure your freezing sat nav , it still does that , also Bluetooth pairing is not stable, works for days then constantly unpairs then works for days again. So nowhere near right.

It seems to me that the infotainment system is using Bluetooth in client mode (where the BT MAC is randomised and changes occasionally) rather than server mode where it remains fixed at the hardware address.

Looking at the BT connections on my phone, it creates a new one at every re-pair which has a different BT MAC for the car.

It seems to me that the infotainment system is using Bluetooth in client mode (where the BT MAC is randomised and changes occasionally) rather than server mode where it remains fixed at the hardware address.

Looking at the BT connections on my phone, it creates a new one at every re-pair which has a different BT MAC for the car.
Why would they do it like that? Would it make any sense?

Can anyone tell me what has changed in MPU R33 vs R30?

My versions (Grey Trophy)
MCU 68.3.3.9 (seems lower than any other I can find, many seem to be 68.3.8.0 or higher)
MPU SWI68-29958-1300R30 (I know that at least R33 is around I'm just not sure what's changed)

No general problems with driving the car, I don't even mind the LKA but the infotainment is laggy, freezes on the satnav and Android Auto / Carplay disconnects often if I don't reboot the infortainment system whether I connect wired or use a wireless Ottocast dongle.
Someone on Facebook has mentioned there is an update for the freezing sat-nav but as only one person has mentioned it so far........

You can see in your app store the changes from the previous version normally ....
Only if the developers bother publishing their patch notes.
Most of the time, the best you'll get is "We fixed some stuff", without saying what the "stuff" actually was.

Talked to the dealer yesterday and he was just finished a meeting with MG and he told me that the R40 will not retrofit to the older R33 MG4's .... I'll hope this is not the final answer ! Could someone confirm this please ? I also saw that the new 2023 will get delivered with the R33 software so it would be possible to retrofit the new R40 software normally.
That is incredible if true. An absolute farce

I also don't buy the whole hardware changes thing for one pedal driving. ACC has no problem bringing the car to a complete stop. I don't see how allowing regen to bring the car to a complete stop is not possible with the earlier cars. Surely it is just a parameter that needs changing

The only reason I could see it not being compatible is if they changed the SOC but you always hear how car manufacturers use older chips and have to guarantee availability for many years as they need consistency in production. If MG are changing the internals of the system so quickly after launch, it is a complete failure of design and procurement

If the earlier models are left to stagnate, I will certainly never buy an MG again

That is incredible if true. An absolute farce

I also don't buy the whole hardware changes thing for one pedal driving. ACC has no problem bringing the car to a complete stop. I don't see how allowing regen to bring the car to a complete stop is not possible with the earlier cars. Surely it is just a parameter that needs changing

The only reason I could see it not being compatible is if they changed the SOC but you always hear how car manufacturers use older chips and have to guarantee availability for many years as they need consistency in production. If MG are changing the internals of the system so quickly after launch, it is a complete failure of design and procurement

If the earlier models are left to stagnate, I will certainly never buy an MG again
I must admit knowing what I know now about Phase 2 I wouldn’t have jumped into buying the car which I’ve had just over 2 weeks. I didn’t like being miss-sold on the charge speed for the SR as it’s marketed as 117 kw, when it’s actually 88kw surprisingly, this has been updated on all of phase 2 marketing. I’m getting the impression the MG is not as reliable or trustworthy company.

I'm at a dealership on Wednesday, I am going to ask the question about R40 and my car which I ordered in December and received in April.
If their answer corroborates what has been said above, i'll sell my MG4 and look to invest in a more reputable company and car.

The other question to ask would be: Do the "old" models now receive other updates or no updates at all?
If this whole compatibility issue is true, then best case scenario is multiple builds depending on the model

They already have different builds depending on the spec so it's probable. Even then, having different versions as they currently do is a poor decision. Again, assuming the SOC is the same in all models, a single build with feature flags turned on or off is the more desirable approach. By supporting 2 different codebases, they are effectively halving their software development capacity. Adding a third base means even more time between updates unless the plan is to shift most resources to the newest one, leaving older ones to stagnate

That last option is entirely possible, which is a grim thought

Indeed. The R33 cars are on the market for less than a year. It would be a shame if they wouldn't receive software updates after such a short period of time. But then, it would be a gigantic hassle for MG to foster multiple software strings. This is getting exciting. ;-)

The problem they will have is getting the updates done in the right order, as miles side on the podcast they need done in a specific order or there are issues.
There are already two builds for the SE's and the Trophy and the garages are struggling with that add in two new versions for the phase 2 SE and Trophy and it could be a totally lottery at some service departments

The problem they will have is getting the updates done in the right order, as miles side on the podcast they need done in a specific order or there are issues.
There are already two builds for the SE's and the Trophy and the garages are struggling with that add in two new versions for the phase 2 SE and Trophy and it could be a totally lottery at some service departments
And the extended range and the MG4 X power

Mine went in to check the under tray and chirpy a/c today, I asked them to do any upgrades due and specifically mention this from the podcast. I was told the under tray was normal and the a/c was fine. All but the FDR was updated as it wasn't needed but LKA and ACC are still a bit aggressive in their corrections. on the plus side I asked the Satnav to take me to 'Tesla Supercharger' as I knew there was ban open one nearby.I arrived at 40% after only driving 5 miles, after a quick update to the app I was connected and charging at 134kw (according to the Tesla app) 125kw according to the car, this dropped back to 78kw over 60%but in 10 minutes id added 19kwh for £10.26.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back