-------------------- Translated by Google ----------------
Service Information-SC

No.: SI-SC2023031001
Date: 10-03-2023

By: MG Motor Germany/SAIC Motor Germany GmbH
To: MG contractor

Subject: CCU software update

Description

To optimize charging performance, the CCU software must be updated to the latest version via SIPS.

Affected: MG4

The VIN list of the affected vehicles is stored in MG Care under Communications -> Service Campaigns -> SC47-SC2023031001-CCU software update on MG4 -> SC47 VIN List.

Method:

CCU update:

Use SIPS to reprogram the CCU. Complete the configuration by following the instructions displayed in the SIPS.

Important, after performing the CCU software update, the current SIPS report must be saved. Please submit the current SIPS report to your warranty department as the SIPS report must be included with the warranty application.

guarantee

To submit the warranty claim in the GWS system, please follow the steps below:

1. Enter the necessary vehicle data and the number of the work order

2. Select the claim type: CA

3. Enter the campaign code: SC47

4. Enter the start date and end date of the repair

5. Dial the following error code
Fault code: 96
Fault Description: Campaign

MG Motor Germany
Aftersales Service Dept.
SI-SC2023031001

Attachments

• CCU-Update-MG4.pdf
    717.7 KB · Views: 222
In ice cars the external temperature sensor was so the cars engine management system could adjust the air/fuel mixture to suit conditions, the addition of an internal readout for the driver was a cheap way of enhancing the cars spec/appeal . EV s need to know the battery temperature which could be different to the air temperature . To add a specific system just to tell the driver the outside temp costs, and then again needs to accurate or potential litigation could arise. So its unneeded and gone. On the up side I and others have mentioned the need for more driver awareness/accountability so it good MG are listening. I sense a hornets nest!
I think you might be confusing the external temperature sensor with the intake temperature sensor Intake-air temperature sensor – checking & faults | HELLA.
The external temperature sensor is there only for the heating systems External Temperature Sensors | GSF Car Parts

But ... a) the sensor is already there, b) it is accurate, c) on R13 software it is already displayed. So any cost had already been borne. Removing it actually incurred cost. 🙄
They are not removing it , they are just not putting it on the "updated" models, and no need to keep looking at the software. What,s not there saves money!

No, because my car is on R13 so I don't have anything to complain about. (I did threaten them with hellfire if they installed R16 though, and they didn't.)
It may get to the stage where if dealers are instructed by MG UK to update software to comply with the warranty, it could then be too late to do anything about it.
Are you not better getting all you SE owners together on the same page, show a united front and contact them as a collective and voice your displeasure rather than encouraging individuals to do it, it does appear looking in that many aren't bothered by the loss of the temp gauge

They are not removing it , they are just not putting it on the "updated" models, and no need to keep looking at the software. What,s not there saves money!
But someone had to update the code base (at R16) to remove that display indication ... the cost of hardware was already spent as the sensor is already there (and still is). And the cost to show the temperature had already been spent (as R13 shows it). So to remove showing it meant someone had to revise the code (i.e. spend money on labour) when R16 was created ... thus MG spent more money to remove something that they'd already spent money on displaying.

If you can't understand this then I'm out of this part of the conversation. I can't make it any simpler.

It may get to the stage where if dealers are instructed by MG UK to update software to comply with the warranty, it could then be too late to do anything about it.
Are you not better getting all you SE owners together on the same page, show a united front and contact them as a collective and voice your displeasure rather than encouraging individuals to do it, it does appear looking in that many aren't bothered by the loss of the temp gauge

That is the direction in which I am rather cack-handedly heading.

Its essential when you live in colder areas of the country, You can hit areas of very low temperatures where black ice is forming without any external indicators, having the ability to monitor what is happening to the outside temp becomes a very important safety issue.

I don't think Derby is exactly Penzance...

But someone had to update the code base (at R16) to remove that display indication ... the cost of hardware was already spent as the sensor is already there (and still is). And the cost to show the temperature had already been spent (as R13 shows it). So to remove showing it meant someone had to revise the code (i.e. spend money on labour) when R16 was created ... thus MG spent more money to remove something that they'd already spent money on displaying.

If you can't understand this then I'm out of this part of the conversation. I can't make it any simpler.

That's why I think it's a mistake. How it happened I don't know, but it beggars belief that it was deliberate.

That seems highly likely to me, I'm afraid.

Everyone is so fixated on the big stuff. First the locking-in and the oil leak, then the undertray and the power loss and so on. Things are moving on these fronts, but we're not seeing anything happening about the small stuff, the idiotic software bugs that a competent software engineer could fix in about ten minutes and which would incur no costs at all. I think people are not making a fuss about these, and we ought to.

This is what I wrote to my dealer, asking for it to be passed on to MG, but I think in reality it needs individual owners to bug MG in person.

Software issues I would like to have passed on to MG.

• The USB music player doesn’t support folders, which makes it absolutely useless until one spends hours renaming music tracks, and even when that’s done it’s then murder to find the start of the work you want to play when everything appears as one long scrolling list of individual tracks. (This fault is not present on the Trophy, so it’s obviously an easy fix.)
• The headlights keep coming on in broad daylight. Removing the cover from the light sensor improves this a great deal, but even so they still come on a bit sharpish. Some sort of sensitivity needs to be turned down.
• The radio comes on every time you sit down in the car, even when it was turned off on the previous journey. This is extremely annoying. (Again the Trophy doesn’t have this fault, so it’s an easy fix.)
• The temperature on the HVAC system reads about five degrees higher than the actual temperature the system achieves at that setting.
• The auto-locking at 10 mph can’t be disabled. (Once again this fault isn’t present in the Trophy, so it’s an easy fix.)
• When the car is put in SPORT mode, the selector on the central screen flips to SNOW even though the car is actually still in SPORT.
• The state-of-charge indicator bar on the central screen occasionally appears amber rather than the usual green, no matter the state of charge. My impression is that this is a malfunction of a system intended to show an amber bar at moderately low states of charge and red at very low states of charge. (When I drove the car down to 4% the bar was amber, but this was scarcely noticeable as the bar was by then so short. In any case, surely the bar should be red by then?)
• The speed limit recognition system lies to me so often that it’s not worth having.
• The fog lights need a physical switch that can be reached easily by the driver.
• The Lane Assist system needs a physical switch that allows it to be turned off quickly if it is interfering with safe driving. (Personally, I don’t see why the redundant volume control buttons under the infotainment screen couldn’t be re-mapped to fog lights and Lane Assist.)
• The fitted interior lights are ridiculously dim. Surely MG can afford another couple of decent LED bulbs, since the car is already festooned with the things.
• The lack of electrically-folding wing mirrors is an economy too far in such an otherwise well-specced car. (I understand newer models come with a rear windscreen wiper. Personally I’d far rather have electrically folding mirrors.)

Most of these issues – certainly the top seven listed – could be quite easily resolved with an update to the infotainment software. However, I understand that more recent updates to this software have added an additional fault, that the car no longer displays the outside temperature. My car (on R13) has the outside temperature display and I most emphatically don’t want any updates until it can be guaranteed that I won’t lose this. And, hopefully, that all these seven issues above, and any others that can be addressed by such an update, have been fixed.

Feel free to copy any or all of this.

That seems highly likely to me, I'm afraid.

Everyone is so fixated on the big stuff. First the locking-in and the oil leak, then the undertray and the power loss and so on. Things are moving on these fronts, but we're not seeing anything happening about the small stuff, the idiotic software bugs that a competent software engineer could fix in about ten minutes and which would incur no costs at all. I think people are not making a fuss about these, and we ought to.

This is what I wrote to my dealer, asking for it to be passed on to MG, but I think in reality it needs individual owners to bug MG in person.

Feel free to copy any or all of this.
I think because there has been a variety of big stuff, to steal your term! People have been more willing to put up with the minor faults.

As I said earlier on in the week, just because there is a work around for things or people don't care then it doesn't make it any less of a fault

Agree 100%. Lots of people moan about most of the things I listed, but I don't think they're telling MG that they're not happy about them. They just moan and then say, MG are mean, they won't fix these things.

These seem to be particular bugbears on the Trophy. I've never had my bluetooth unpair, ever. Try contacting MG directly. If a lot of individual owners bug them, somebody might take some notice.

(Does your LKA come on while you're driving even though you switched it off? That seems to be another Trophy thing.)

These seem to be particular bugbears on the Trophy. I've never had my bluetooth unpair, ever. Try contacting MG directly. If a lot of individual owners bug them, somebody might take some notice.

(Does your LKA come on while you're driving even though you switched it off? That seems to be another Trophy thing.)o
I agree that everyone should contact MG UK directly, as I have done. You just have to appreciate that MG UK will essentially deny knowledge of the problem, tell you to speak to the dealer, and provide nothing more than a source of frustration. Personally, I am not even convinced that the replies are not from an AI.

(Does your LKA come on while you're driving even though you switched it off? That seems to be another Trophy thing.)
No LKA switched off and stays off until I leave the driver's seat.

Still worth it.
Nope, not worth contacting MG directly, repeatedly they just continually....

Screenshot 2023-08-04 18.01.52.png

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel