MG4 Software Update Thread

Just had mine updated today and spotted this issue. So it will have to go back in again when they hopefully fix it. I like the new air con screen though, much easier to use.
The dealer has been in touch with MG HQ and they are sending over screen shots of what you have to do to get left hand star button to work again - on Monday !! Will update when I get the info !!

That wasn't intended to be serious, more of a light-hearted quip. Of course I don't think he's smoking anything. (I think he's reflexively defending MG rather than acknowledging they made a mistake.)
There is little doubt about what you think, since it is documented in great length across multiple threads. Further repetition isn't adding anything except overhead for everyone reading.

There is great doubt that you are hearing other people on this, you seem unable to even admit the possibility that this gossip might be wrong or out of context or is otherwise a misleading impression of what Miles said or thinks. You are offering no benefit of the doubt.

Your remarks about Miles did not come across as a light hearted quip, they were part of an angry rant and you said multiple things about him in multiple messages.

You owe him an apology.

I am pretty close to blocking your messages, which would be a first for me, nobody else has provoked that reaction. If it happens, I will take no pleasure in it.

Had my MG 4 luxury (got the R33 software update) for 2 months now. These are the software issues I've had so far.

*infotainment screen stays black sometimes after cameras has been in use. Fixed on next drive or hard reset infotainment.
*Sometimes volume control can't increase volume, only decrease. Need to hard reset infotainment screen or works on next drive.
*Cameras not working if infotainment screen has been hard reset while driving - see the two above issues how I noticed this. :ROFLMAO:
*Once when I started the car I got an message on screen that disappeared so fast I could only see that it said something asbout low outside temperature, on a day with 25C outside, this trip the car ate the battery twice as fast as normal. Yes I checked if intelligent battery heating had came on, and even switched it on and off again. The next trips the car also ate battery twice as fast as normal. After charging it, it went back to normal consumption.

Beside that there is the normal software flaws reported by others as well:
*LKA not great (half the time it tries to pull you closer to the line instead of towards the centre of the road!).
*ACC not great, when driving alone with no other cars in sight it slows down massively in curves. And in traffic it is not very smooth, even after changing regen to adaptive and mode to sport (this massively helps tho). Can I have normal cruise control please, that doesn't slow down in curves?
*Infotainment doesn't support folder playback of mp3 files.
*Sometimes phone looses BT connection, only happened once on R33, on R30 it happened like twice a week.

Overall great car to drive, but with poor software. The only hardware complaints I have is the poor sound system and only average seats. Handling is excellent, ride is excellent.

This is false, then? I'd be pleased to hear it.

This was posted on the Facebook group by Miles Roberts (an MG dealer)

Outside temp display has never been part of the SE spec. However, the first batch of vehicles we received in the UK had the wrong FICM software installed which showed an outside temp display in the FICM status bar.
This outside temp display never actually worked, it was actually showing random data.

All of these early cars should have been updated before release to customer but obviously some dealers didn’t bother and hence pictures appeared on user forums showing the display.

*Infotainment doesn't support folder playback of mp3 files.

Overall great car to drive, but with poor software. The only hardware complaints I have is the poor sound system and only average seats. Handling is excellent, ride is excellent.

What, on the equivalent of the Trophy? This is one of the annoying faults in the SE in this country, but the Trophy software is fine. Ominous if the fault has now crept into Trophy-spec cars as well.

I agree the sound system could be better, but not having the ICE noise over the music is a plus. I find the seats OK really.

Does the X-Power have an uprated audio system vs the Trophy? In the review below the guy gives a 👍to the audio system.

Are you trying to persuade me to buy one?! :p

ETA: Having watched through the film, I think there is an implication that it's an upgrade for the X-Power right enough.

Last edited:
Well if you only listen to podcasts like this guy, I guess it is fine :ROFLMAO: But there is a hope that it has upgraded system as well.

For my luxury if I feed it with any rock or metal, I notice that the deeps only ends up as a muffled rumble and not defined at all.

My two previus cars did not have branded sound systems or sub, still sounded way better. (2011 ford focus diesel and 2008 honda jazz petrol). And my focus seat was way better than the MG4, and even after 12 years without cover looked almost as new when I traded it in, wonder if I can say the same for my MG 4 after some years.

But let's keep it on the software discussion for this thread. And yeah my 2011 ford focus played mp3 folders perfectly fine from my usb thumbstick!

Well if you only listen to podcasts like this guy, I guess it is fine :ROFLMAO: But there is a hope that it has upgraded system as well.

For my luxury if I feed it with any rock or metal, I notice that the deeps only ends up as a muffled rumble and not defined at all.

My two previus cars did not have branded sound systems or sub, still sounded way better. (2011 ford focus diesel and 2008 honda jazz petrol). And my focus seat was way better than the MG4, and even after 12 years without cover looked almost as new when I traded it in, wonder if I can say the same for my MG 4 after some years.

But let's keep it on the software discussion for this thread. And yeah my 2011 ford focus played mp3 folders perfectly fine from my usb thumbstick!
I agree about the Ford Focus. My 2012 Titanium's seats were nearly as good as new and the sound system was a lot better.

The Trophy spec cars here seem to play mp3 folders just fine. We suspect that the SE models' inability to do that is a bug. It's a worry if the bug has made it into other Trophy-spec cars.

You can do a work-around, and I've done it, renaming every track to get the music to play in the right order, but it's a pain in the neck. It's something else people need to be complaining to MG about.

The Trophy spec cars here seem to play mp3 folders just fine. We suspect that the SE models' inability to do that is a bug. It's a worry if the bug has made it into other Trophy-spec cars.

You can do a work-around, and I've done it, renaming every track to get the music to play in the right order, but it's a pain in the neck. It's something else people need to be complaining to MG about.
As far as I'm aware all Trophy's have folder options on USB player.

I have looked everywhere for an folder option.

It might be worth looking again. Check the manual? From what I recall, talking to Trophy owners who described how they had this feature, it wasn't all that intuitive to locate. I think I saw something in the manual about it though. (Without any indication that the feature wasn't present on the SE, again indicating that its absence is an accidental bug.)

I spoke to my dealer in Dumfries yesterday about the software update that fixes the Bluetoot pairing, which is a real pain in the butt, and the radio switching off randomly. He said they were waiting for China to release the bug fix, which they had no control or input over, so I think I'll write to MG UK, just as Rolfe suggested. Go to the top and escalate it. The dealer had originally said it would be the end of July for the update. Promises promises. I think the more people complain, and MG start to get worried about a bad name then they will have to do something about it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back