MG4 Software Update Thread

New module updates and infotainment versions appear quite regularly, certainly every few weeks to months. However, most dealers will only apply them outside routine servicing if there is a warranty claim for an issue (because then they are paid to do so by MG) or a recall (very rare).

Also, applying updates is fiddly and time consuming and sometimes fails, so some dealers will try to avoid doing them.

There is no sign of the long-promised over-the-air updates.

So the challenge is getting them. The first cars delivered in the UK are just coming up to their first annual service, so we will find up how much is getting updated soon.
Wait, you can't update yourself?

New module updates and infotainment versions appear quite regularly, certainly every few weeks to months. However, most dealers will only apply them outside routine servicing if there is a warranty claim for an issue (because then they are paid to do so by MG) or a recall (very rare).

Also, applying updates is fiddly and time consuming and sometimes fails, so some dealers will try to avoid doing them.

There is no sign of the long-promised over-the-air updates.

So the challenge is getting them. The first cars delivered in the UK are just coming up to their first annual service, so we will find up how much is getting updated soon.
Was over the air updates promised at some point?

I have a 4 month old 1st edition trophy currently on R30 and get a lot of these issues. I contacted my dealer with a breakdown of the problems including video evidence by email and requested the upgrade to R46. They have agreed and I'm booked in for the upgrade on Thursday with a courtesy car at no additional cost. They said MG are currently only upgrading people at dealerships who actively complain to version R46.

I have a 4 month old 1st edition trophy currently on R30 and get a lot of these issues. I contacted my dealer with a breakdown of the problems including video evidence by email and requested the upgrade to R46. They have agreed and I'm booked in for the upgrade on Thursday with a courtesy car at no additional cost. They said MG are currently only upgrading people at dealerships who actively complain to version R46.
Please, could you make a list of the current problems and verify if any of them has been mitigated after the update?

Currently sitting in my dealer in Dublin waiting for them to see if there’s an upgrade available…in their words.

Trophy on R30…they have to open a support ticket with MG with an issue log, the vin etc then MG will decide if it needs an update and send the software for them to put on a usb and plug into the car. Apparently just because R33 is current in the U.K. doesn’t mean it’s current here, which I immediately said was BS! (Especially after he said they make sure they update each car as part of pdi, which clearly didn’t happen as mine is a Jan build on R30)

Does this not seem like an absolutely insane way of handling software updates?

Getting quite sick of MG and the bugs at this stage and I’ve only put 700km on the car. The cruise control is the worst I’ve ever used in a car over the last 10 years

Currently sitting in my dealer in Dublin waiting for them to see if there’s an upgrade available…in their words.

Trophy on R30…they have to open a support ticket with MG with an issue log, the vin etc then MG will decide if it needs an update and send the software for them to put on a usb and plug into the car. Apparently just because R33 is current in the U.K. doesn’t mean it’s current here, which I immediately said was BS! (Especially after he said they make sure they update each car as part of pdi, which clearly didn’t happen as mine is a Jan build on R30)

Getting quite sick of MG and the bugs at this stage and I’ve only put 700km on the car. The cruise control is the worst I’ve ever used in a car over the last 10 years
I said the same when I picked up last week and they checked when R46 was released but don’t do it in the PDI. They didn’t apologies just booked it in as a ‘recall’ in their words. Getting it done tomorrow hopefully.

I'd agree it does seem a haphazard way of operating, and I'm not sure how much is MG and also dealer knowledge/lack of, or general helpfulness. I think I'm one of the lucky ones to find a very helpful dealer - Sheils based in Limerick (Ireland).
Collected car first week of July, had a few issues so returned to dealer after a week, mechanic said hang on a minute then returned with USB and updated the Software (<10min) - without me even asking, said it was just in and should sort my problems - and it did, immediately! (Connectivity issues; app and BT pairing)
Before and after SW Vers R33 > R46.
Note car is MY23 build Trophy
Hope you get sorted with yours.

I'm overall pleased with car, and already have 3k km clocked up (longish commute)
Though I'd agree I find the ACC somewhat , jerky , and best not even mention LKA.

the service manager said that they had R33 on the laptop but normally they have to get a download link from MG and it can take 4-5 hours to download. Seems ridiculous to me.

Also had a couple of CarPlay disconnects on the way home after the update so hopefully it hasn’t introduced any new bugs!

The aircon and acc are really starting to annoy me now. I have the aircon on all the time on auto eco mode. At 27°c it blows warm air constantly then at 25°c it blows cold air constantly! Starting to think I should have just spent the extra 10k on a Tesla M3…

Had some issues with heating, so they installed a new firmware for that at the dealer today. To my surprise I also have to come back next week because there are two more updates. One for heating, another one for the monitor, and a third unknown.

the service manager said that they had R33 on the laptop but normally they have to get a download link from MG and it can take 4-5 hours to download. Seems ridiculous to me.

Also had a couple of CarPlay disconnects on the way home after the update so hopefully it hasn’t introduced any new bugs!

The aircon and acc are really starting to annoy me now. I have the aircon on all the time on auto eco mode. At 27°c it blows warm air constantly then at 25°c it blows cold air constantly! Starting to think I should have just spent the extra 10k on a Tesla M3…
Did they update you to R33 or R46?

Some people with MY22 cars have been getting updated to R46

Is FK the dealers? Just curious as I might go back to them myself for the R46 update if they're doing it as the Bluetooth pairing issue is driving me nuts and I believe R46 mostly fixes this

Yes that does sound a bit mad, and frustrating, it shouldn't be that hard and some dealers seem worse than others.

Starting to think I should have just spent the extra 10k on a Tesla M3…
I've to confess to initially thinking the same, but after an update and getting familiar with some 'quirks' I'm mostly happy with it, tho some things still need addressing.
Also don't forget the Tesla M3 ain't without its issues either, and they've had 6 years to iron most of them out.

Did they update you to R33 or R46?

Some people with MY22 cars have been getting updated to R46

Is FK the dealers? Just curious as I might go back to them myself for the R46 update if they're doing it as the Bluetooth pairing issue is driving me nuts and I believe R46 mostly fixes this
Linder Finglas are my dealer. It’s an MY22 from January 10th would you believe, only picked it up 3 weeks ago! They put R33 on it, didn’t say anything about R46 and I didn’t bother asking. Tried to say R33 only got released to them last week and the U.K. and Ireland having different approved versions.

Not sure if Frank Keane is any better.
Yes that does sound a bit mad, and frustrating, it shouldn't be that hard and some dealers seem worse than others.

I've to confess to initially thinking the same, but after an update and getting familiar with some 'quirks' I'm mostly happy with it, tho some things still need addressing.
Also don't forget the Tesla M3 ain't without its issues either, and they've had 6 years to iron most of them out.
That’s true, seems like most cars have some major issue or another, the Kia EV6 and ionic apparently also have some very annoying issues. As usual the car industry are very much behind the curve with fast paced software solutions…doesn’t bode well for the future as there’s only going to be more sensors and chips running the whole car

They put R33 on it, didn’t say anything about R46 and I didn’t bother asking. Tried to say R33 only got released to them last week and the U.K. and Ireland having different approved versions.
Sounds a little suspect to me, I ordered car in Feb, collected 5thJuly, luckily - I think, received an MY23 , due to some issues went back about a week later and it was upgraded from R33 > R46 with minimum fuss/time.

Note: some have said on here that it's not guaranteed that all MY22 cars are compatible with R46 tho some have had it (all Trophy spec models, not SE)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back